General Krulak (part 3) - Questions

BOF

Hi General

I am not sure the fight over standing should be as difficult as you think. I work with EHO's in another Authority and like evryone else they have to justify the value of any actions they take, especially at this time of cuts. Birmingham Council are currently cutting loads of EH posts - if sufficient number of Bham ratepayers complained to their councillors (especially with election coming) that they did NOT consider this an issue worth pursuing, they would have to listen.

People stand at concerts, cricket, horse racing, and at many football grounds (watch any Champions League match). We stand at our own ground, before the game, at half time, and (absurdley) in times of 'momentary excitement. We are all consenting, paying adults (one way or another) and would not (with some exceptions ) choose to sit in the Upper Holte if we wanted to sit like in a cinema. Stewards stand, police stand, people leaving early stand.

If we pushed this hard enough they'd have to leave us alone.

If we end up unable to stand at all, which is the logical extension of where we find ourselves, I for one would not go to the games anymore - so you can also argue loss of revenue.

As a postscript, after many years of following the Villa, this standing issue together with the over critical negativity of our fans (and loss of some personal income) really has me considering forgetting about it altogether the standing issue could be the last straw for many others too. Sitting down listening to a load of 'experts ' complaining about our team, then getting told off by stewards when trying to sing and lift the atmosphere, is really quite soul destroying.

Of all the fights you could have, I can't think of a better one.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to answer for the General, but it is nothing to do with our or any other club, it's the law. Unless you can change it by Act of Parliament it is illegal to stand at a Premier League Stadium.

a common misconception. it is not against the law to stand at a premier league or football league stadium.

--------

If this is something that is going to be the future of football, and it had the backing or the relevant authorities, then it is certainly something we would look at. If it's done through the proper channels, I don't see any reason for clubs not to look at it. There are lots of factors involved in what the fans would make of it, but it would be likely to lower ticket prices, and any fan in their right mind would welcome that.

the above shows a statement by aston villa football club taken from 2005 after the guardian asked all premiership (now premier league) clubs if they would like to introduce safe standing areas.

it would be interesting to see the response if the guardian were to ask this again. i'd hope that villa would respond like five years previous, rather than choosing to ignore the debate like eleven other clubs did.

general, am i right in saying there's a standing/singing area at the cleveland browns' stadium? the north stand, is it? if i remember correctly there are signs saying that people may stand and sing but not use profantities. may be barking up the wrong tree though.

General, can you pass on my thanks to the Ticket Office.

I posted in my season ticket renewal forms, and apparently forgot to sign one of them. Not only did the Ticket Office phone me to let me know, but they are sending the paperwork back to me with a stamped addressed envelope so I don't have to pay again.

Excellent service

General,

Could I bring the following website to your attention?

It is called http://www.ticketsfortroops.org.uk/

Tickets For Troops is a brand new charity dedicated to offering free tickets for big events to our soldiers, sailors and airmen. There are many Premier League and Championship Football Clubs supporting this website and offering free tickets to Servicemen and women. I know that Villa already offer a concession to service personnel and that is also commendable.

I was wondering if Aston Villa had been approached by tickets for troops or if you, as a club would be adding your support to the site in the coming season?

As a serviceman myself, the site gives us an excellent opportunity to see the support our football clubs are giving to such worthy causes.

Looks like we've given up in March again, General!! We seriously need to get a psychologist in!!! 7-1 is an absolute disgrace - no team spending the sort of money we have should ever lose 7-1!!

Gen

The post is in no way meant at you, or Randy - you have put the heart and soul into Villa - and I am immensely grateful.

However, HUMILIATED - and the thing is - not a surprise. I wrote at Half time - you know exactly what will happen - 60 mins, Petrov / Milner knackered - we will be trounced.

Sorry - this is every season , and its getting worse.

Not good enough - and the manager should know !

General

before it's even made, i cannot accept tiredness as an excuse. Tired is what i am after just getting in from work, in again at 6am tomorrow and then Monday morning i start my working week again. This was appalling, utterly appalling and their best striker was on the bench !!!!

Can i ask a question ?. Would you have accepted ' tiredness ' as an excuse from your troops ?

I'm sorry but i'm so, so mad about this performance

Wigan players were embarrassed enough to pay for the fans tickets and travel to Spurs this season. I hope ours feel the same.

And Gen i mean the players and management not Randy, that would make me just a pissed off.

Hi General,

I just wanted to say that I'm sure the majority of Villa fans see todays result for what it is, A freak one off, and are still totally behind Randy and MON.

Up the Villa! We need support not knee jerk reactions.

Well said that man..

We are all frustrated by todays 'freak' result and I think every team will get a hammering once a season, lets hope for 'our' players, this will act as a kick up the ass to never let it happen again, and also to seek revenge come the FA Cup Semi-final.

Two things

- Tiredness hasn't been mentioned as an excuse for todays result to the best of my knowledge

- This thread is for questions to the General, it's not for questions to or of the manager; if you haven't got a question you need to ask, please comment in a more appropriate thread.

Thank you.

Hi General,

I just wanted to say that I'm sure the majority of Villa fans see todays result for what it is, A freak one off, and are still totally behind Randy and MON.

Any chance of the players chipping in to refund the fans for that gutless display?

45 quid to watch us throw the towel in and suffer our worst defeat in decades.

I would be saying this even if I hadn't gone

Hi General

What did you make of that total humiliation and do you think that MON is still capable of taking us into 4th? We are now 4 years into the "5 year plan" and that looks unlikely.

Hi General,

Completely agree with this.

General, I am completely behind you, Randy and MON. While I am dissapointed in the result I understand that these things happen.

UTV.

Hi General,

Completely agree with this.

General, I am completely behind you, Randy and MON. While I am dissapointed in the result I understand that these things happen.

UTV.

Same here. No doubt we'll put this behind us in the upcoming games.

Hi General hope you are well and that you can make it over to VP or Wembley.

I heard on the radio the other day that there is a rumour doing the rounds that MON and Randys relationship is thawing due to the lack of funds being made available for new players.....

now this is not a question about transfers as i know this is out of bounds, however my questions are sir,

1. is the relationship between MON and Randy as strong as it has ever been or is it showing signs of strain??

2. have they fallen out with one another or are they still ''the best of friends'' ?

3. for Aston Villa Football Club do they still have the same agenda?

4. are they both in agreement and committed as to how to move Aston Villa Football Club forward to the next level?

as ever, i trust and await an honest answer to each question.

Guest Ricardomeister

General, first of all I am not someone who wants MON to go at present, although I would probably be reviewing his position in the summer.

I was just watching today's abject capitulation again and in John Terry's interview he said that Chelsea had noted that Villa tend to tire after 55 to 60 minutes of each game.

Firstly, can you think of a reason why highly paid professional sportsmen can only last for 2/3 of a game?

Secondly, if lots of Villa fans and the Chelsea team can see it why, seemingly, can't our management team?