General Krulak (part 3) - Questions

BOF

Guest Ricardomeister

General, I think that the vast majority of fans, myself included, are behind MON, in spite of some of us having our reservations (myself included). I don't agree with the booing at half-time, however, this was done by a tiny minority of fans and this happens at every club, bar none. Villa fans are demanding but they are also knowledgeable and, on the whole, fair.

I do find it concerning that MON is now having constant digs at the fans as this, imo, accomplishes nothing and it makes me a little worried that maybe the pressure is getting a little too much, especially given that he seemingly reacted to the cheers for Luke and the Fonz by telling them to sit down and put Albrighton on immediately instead. Maybe that was a pure coincidence but a large amount of fans have seen that to be him purely and stubbornly trying to make a point to the fans.

I want to see us in the top 4 and winning the FA Cup, but if the small minority of fans that boo continue with their behaviour and if MON continues with his digs at the fans then I think it will all end in tears, which would be a great shame.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General Krulak here:

1. Ricardomeister: I can assure you that MON was not responding to the fans when he put Albrighton on the pitch...it was just an unfortunate timing. I think we are ALL frustrated with what happened on the weekend and some of the other "lost points" that are impacting on us right now. I know I am frustrated and I would imagine that MON and the Team shares the frustration. These are professionals and they want to put on a professional performance...and if they don't meet their own expectations, I am sure that is frustrating to them. At the same time, they can't dwell on the down times...they need to keep focused on what to do better next time...to focus on the next game. We, as fans, have the luxury or the danger, of being able to continually reflect...and that can only lead to more frustration if we only reflect on what has gone wrong. Today I was looking at statistics...and saw that we, AVFC, have had less goals scored against us than any other Premiership Club...to include the "top 4". I reflected on our back line and how easy it might be to point to one play or another...but at the end of the day, goals against do count and these lads are doing a good job. My point here is that there are definite signs of our Club moving forward and that we all need to keep one eye on those signs. That is NOT to say that we be Polyanna's and not comment on what we perceive is wrong. I have ALWAYS encouraged the "good, bad, and ugly"!! All I am saying is that, at the end of the day, we are a "Family" and we need to keep that in mind.

2. paulanddonya: As always, you make some very good points.

Hi General,

Just a quick one for you and not a major gripe, just something I noticed while over for the game on Saturday. My father came with me, a present I bought him for his retirement, and before the game we went to a kiosk in the Holte upper and he ordered a tea and I ordered a coffee(no beer on sale), We presumed we would get black tea and black coffee and then we could put milk in as we choose - My Dad's allergic to milk so he doesn't drink it.... We then noticed that when the tea and coffee came out, there was already milk in them. I asked the staff if there was a mistake but they said they can only serve coffee and tea with milk already in them.. I understand this is not a common thing for people to order, I just thought it strange that you cant put your own milk in... The staff were very polite and gave me money back when I went up to them, but I did find it strange that's all..

Apart from that we had a great day(apart from the result) and it was worth going over... I didn't want to kick up a fuss, just thought I'd mention it to see if it's possible to get black tea/coffee....

Cheers,

Lombardo - Irish Villan

Gen

Do you know what, I am (and really, I shouldn't be surprised, but I am) really, really chuffed and over the moon with your post then.

Without boring you, there is a lot of debate on here about Saturday, and who was right, who was wrong. However, to see you, who are involved in the club admitting you were just as frustrated is so refreshing.

Us Brummies, love us or hate us, tell it for what it is (there is an expression but can be perceived as racist so I will not say it - but you know what I mean). Saturday wasn't good, there is no point saying it was, when it wasn't.

if you used a restuarant 100 times and had 100 great meals, then on the 101st the food was god damn awful - you'd complain, and rightly so.

It doesn't mean we don't love the club when we get angry at it - and it is so good to hear that you are the same.

Lets hope for Wednesday, it really is a must win now, do us a little favour will you, ask MON to have a word with Mr Bent after the game about coming to Brum :D

Lets hope for Wednesday, it really is a must win now, do us a little favour will you, ask MON to have a word with Mr Bent after the game about coming to Brum :D

Martin O'Neill Please Sign "Darren Bent".

Yep, hope he has a word general, a mate of mine has set up this group on facebook could you point MON to it!! :D

He is the ONE striker we need this summer, he will become a Villa Legend if we got him and is far better than anything else in prem that we could attract at moment!

What do you think to him yourself General?

Hi General, I recently posted this:

I sit in the Holte Upper and noticed a large sign saying that our capacity could be reduced due to areas of fans that persistently stand during games (i'm thinking the back of the Holte Upper and North Stand Lower here).Watching the Leeds V Millwall game last night, I realised that most of the crowd were on their feet for the whole game, including down the sides as well as behind both goals...Even though there was only a crowd of about 20,000 inside Elland Road, the atmosphere was great, the stewards didn't seem bothered about it at all. Most away fans that come to VP stand and Villa fans away stand up as well. To reduce our capacity for something like this would be absolutely ridiculous, I prefer to stand at football matches and I wish the area I sit in stood!

How serious is this threat of reducing the stadiums capacity? Surely this would only cause more problems around the ground. I prefer to stand at Villa games anyway, but stewards spend a lot of time (annoyingly) telling large areas of the Holte End Upper and the North Stand Lower to sit down, do you think a safe standing area could/would work at Villa Park? You only need to look at football in Germany (Dortmund) to realise that this can work...

Thanks a lot.

Hi General,

Just a quick post in praise of the ticket office staff. I had an issue regarding a health problem with my brother who comes with me and wanting to relocate season tickets. Nicola Keye put me in touch with Tina Williams who I have to say was absolutely brilliant and couldn't have been more helpful.

I also found purchasing semi final tickets straight forward so its a big well done to the ticket office staff.

Mark

General Krulak here:

1. Obviously, we do NOT want to reduce stadium seating!!!! We are under constant pressure from the "authorities" about standing...just as we are about smoking. We really have no capability to go against the regulations.

2. paulanddonya: Yes, a retired Marine Corps General can get frustrated!!!! And it is NOT a pretty sight. At the same time, MON and the Lads are equally unhappy when things just don't go the way expected. I guess that is what comes with the game of football. It is NOT just Brummies....not by a long shot.

General, 2 wolves fans from work got wined and dined in the DE on sat, said that the whole experience was incredible compared to all our local rivals, but commented that the toilets didnt match the rest of the experience, also the villa usb stick man is a brilliant touch

Hi General

I just wanted to expand on the very good point initially raised by Wedge about safe standing. You obviously mention that, at present time, all clubs are bound by health & safety regulations that have to be adhered to with the best of the clubs ability. I am interested to know what your personal take on the situation is, and whether, if a full scale national campaign was launched on a scale not yet seen before, to petition the Government against these laws whilst promoting the idea of creating safe standing areas in stadia, would the club be likely to back the proposals? Would a figurehead at the club such as Randy be willing to throw his hat into the ring as it were? Because I am guessing it would take a few brave people in high up places to put some strength behind any campaign on the proposed scale which would be needed to make a change.

Now the way I see it is this: Yes, the demographic of football fans has changed significantly over the years, but there will always be a large number of fans who enjoy standing at games and these are usually the people who create most of the atmosphere at a match. In light of this fact, I would put forward the opinion that these fans will always be the heart of what football is all about as without an atmosphere, what soul is there left in football? And where would the excitement be? I'd also like to point out that I don't think "these types of fans" will ever make an exit from football. Which means if a compromise isn't ever reached then with the authorities seemingly trying to crack down on standing; it is only ever going to result in conflict between fans, the Government and the clubs themselves. An unhealthy, time-consuming, energy-sapping situation I’m sure you would agree?

Now arguably, whether Premier League chairman have actually agreed with the principle of safe standing areas or not in the past, it has been unlikely for anyone at a PL club to make a stand for the following reason: A safe standing area would mean less revenue for the club due to the increased area safe standing takes up, which means less bodies in the ground and less money for the club.

However, if the authorities really are upping their efforts to ensure health & safety regulations are met; with the threat of closing significant amounts of seated areas, then surely that neutralises the financial implications which might have deterred anyone backing the campaign before?

Put simply, if the club is faced with the threat of reduced revenue anyway because areas could be closed off due to persistent standing- surely the solution is for Randy and other leading figures such as yourself to put your full weight behind a campaign to get compromise back in to football?

Safe standing, in many people's opinions, would benefit the game hugely. For a start hundreds if not thousands of stewards up and down the country would not get abused week-in week-out for asking supporters to remain seated. Supporters would be given a clear choice and it would blood new life back into the game as many fans have stopped going to matches through 'disillusionment' with the way it has headed in recent years. Also, the atmosphere inside stadia would improve, which would help further promote the fact that the Premier League is the best league in the world. There really is no loser in my eyes.

Apologies for the long post, but this is a big issue and one which I think needs people's attention more so than it ever has before.

Hi Gen

Is there any reason why the advertised food prices are MORE expensive then what the actual staff charge? Chip Butty advertised at 3 quid but cost 2.50, similar with the tikka naan....Not that I'm complaining.

Also, any chance you could get the big clock in the Holte Lower concourse working again? It hasn't been right all season (well, even a stopped clock is right twice a day but you get my point)

Cheers

Sorry to answer for the General, but it is nothing to do with our or any other club, it's the law. Unless you can change it by Act of Parliament it is illegal to stand at a Premier League Stadium.

isnt it time the clubs petitioned for change though

General Krulak here:

1. At this stage, I am not sure that there would be value in trying to get all Premiership Clubs to rally around a "standing" proposal. First and foremost, it would require a prodigious amount of effort to get everyone to agree to the mechanics of such a move. Equally if not more important, this move would generate a HUGE pushback from those constituents who pushed the no standing regulations in the first place. Getting this to Parliament would also be a huge effort...one that would require a great deal of effort, solicitor work, and resources. AND, at the end of the day, we probably would lose. This is NOT to say that it wouldn't be a worthwhile fight but...I am not very hopeful that such action would induce change nor be fully supported. I love a good fight but it needs to make sense in the long run.

General, not sure how viable this request/idea is, but ive been a season ticket holder for 2 seasons now (not that long compared with others here) but a regular attender at villa park for the past 12 years (im 18 now and been going with dad before getting sth) but this september im going to university in Huddersfield. My question is do the seats get changed at all during closed season? Because i would love to be able to take abit of my season (can tell you where it is if needed) with me, perhaps just the back bit with the number on.

If you like a good fight - I reckon you could do Yeung - can we put you down for half time entertainment at the Villa Small Heath match ! :D

By the way - above post - every month I post about the Holte clock - I cannot fathom the reason why we would spend that much money to put a fancy clock in there, and then not change the battery.

It is a small thing - but it really should be done Gen !.