General Krulak (part 3) - Questions

BOF

As this is a thread for questions, and without holding Board members personally responsible, may I ask whether the Board has noticed:

(i) That, apart from changes due to injury, today is the first time the team has been properly "rotated" in the league since November;

(ii) That the team CONSISTENTLY runs out of steam 2/3 through games. Certain players in particular.

(iii) That in 2007/08, 2008/09, and 2009/10, we started well, didn't use many players, started to run out of steam in March and then in that month got hammered at a "top 4" ground (Man Utd 4-0 in '08, Liverpool 5-0 in '09 and Chelsea 7-1 in '10;

(iv) That the "ratio" of effort to productivity on the field makes us susceptible to points (ii) and (iii), and that this imbalance between effort and productivity is a result of team shape during games, tactical naivety, poor ball retention, and an inability to control any game, whether the final result be a win, a loss or a draw. What I mean by this is that we have to work exceptionally hard just to stay in games against supposedly inferior teams.

I would suggest that today's SCORELINE is freak, but the team's predicament today was not as freak as we would all like to think. A pattern has emerged over the course of 3/4 seasons. The way we are set up in terms of tactics, style and non-rotation of personal compared to other clubs with ambition does not suggest to me that the current approach will take us much further than 5th/6th/7th.

Finally, using cup runs as signs of progress is something of a red herring, I'm afraid. Villa won the Cup in '57. It did not make us a decent team, as relegation in '59 sadly confirmed. As a third division club we reached a major final. And in any case, I would expect us to beat Cardiff, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Blackburn, Brighton, Crystal Palace and Reading more often than we lose.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General Krulak here:

1. I am a member of the Board of AVFC. I am also a Fan of AVFC. Yesterday hurt me as much as it hurt anyone who wears our colours. I was unable to watch the game...I had to get the score line from ESPN Soccer Net. It is a terrible way to follow a game and especially so when it is a game like yesterday. It was painful and I don't think anyone at Villa Park or Bodymoor Heath feels differently. Questions about Randy and MON and their relationship are simply the result of speculation and media...not based on fact at all.

2. Stephen_Evans: You wrote a thoughtful post. I am not sure I agree with all your thoughts and rationale but appreciate the comments. On the one point I feel I can comment on in an open forum I would say your thoughts about a cup run do not really ring true to me...simply because the same names normally are found in the headlines at the end of the run. Getting to the semi finals in the FA Cup and the finals of the Carling Cup cannot be just dismissed as a "red herring."

3. I know all of you recognize that we are on an open site and that comments made by a Director are liable to make news in a heart beat. My commenting on issues that are really not in my purview will not get an answer for very obvious reasons.

Dear General,

I can sympathise with you having to keep in touch via the ESPN Soccer Net. I cannot get to the majority of games because of work. I live in an area of Great Britain which requires me to pay a TV licence but if I want to listen to an online commentary I have no choice unless it's nationally broadcast to listen to Jack Woodward and pay 3.99 a month for the privilege. There are others in my household who follow Sheffield United commentaries. For 3.99 a month that subscription allows access to 9 Premier League, 64 Football League and 8 Non-League clubs' commentaries and websites (similar to the Villa subscription until last summer). For my 3.99 I can now access the Villa only and I don't even get the choice of listening to a commentary provided by a Woodward alternative e.g. WM. Fulham's commentary is Free. How come the Villa option offers such relative poor value for money?

Hi General, not a post on yesterdays action, but i think you missed my question, so a repost :P

General, not sure how viable this request/idea is, but ive been a season ticket holder for 2 seasons now (not that long compared with others here) but a regular attender at villa park for the past 12 years (im 18 now and been going with dad before getting sth) but this september im going to university in Huddersfield. My question is do the seats get changed at all during closed season? Because i would love to be able to take abit of my seat as a memory (can tell you where it is if needed) with me, perhaps just the back bit with the number on.

I think this post should be kept even though it's not a question as things can look very one sided in here otherwise!

General If you look at a post I made about the refund situation you'll see that all Aston Villa fans arn't fickle! I was surprised at the response to the thread being so positive, and that's a very bad sign I think. I would like to again give my support to Randy, MON and yourself it's so obvious to see we're developing as a team. We're not competing for the league atm, But we've been competing for 2 cups this year! Which has been very exciting!!!!!

People forget quickly that under other managers, the feelings they're having now after such a defeat, are feelings we had every week or at least when playing the Top 4 teams each season, we've progressed of course its of my opinion we need a prolific striker but that's just MY OPINON, Randy has placed MON in charge of the club and so I trust MON!

Maybe I will make this a question!

General do you see that all Villa fans aren't in disgust? there's defiantly a hint of frustration but that actually comes from us all knowing, that the team can do so much more!

The thing is THIS team can do so much more, and I wish people would realise this a bit more!

Pete

General Krulak here:

1. sparey16: We don't change seats during the off-season unless the seat is damaged in some manner...and those are then changed individually.

2. mcveighp: You raise an interesting question. The simple answer from me....and not necessarily the Club because I have never asked them...is that I believe EVERY Fan has the right to comment as they wish on any aspect of the Club. Over the past 4 years, I have seen the "good, bad, and ugly" and have welcomed those comments. I have not always agreed what has been posted and when I don't agree, I say that and try to articulate why I feel the way I do. I take it as a fact that ALL Villa Fans are good people...that they care for the Club and that their rants or praises come from a sincere love of the Club. I do believe that there are many, many, fans who fully understand what Randy, the Board, and MON are trying to do and appreciate the consistency with which all of these folks focus on the future. Most fans understand that a 7-1 defeat hurts the Club as much as the Fans....that it is painful across the Board. At the same time, we need to move forward...we cannot just focus on a bad day. We MUST get back on the winning track. Most fans understand that and cheer the lads on..even during tough times.

Hello General.

Hope your good. This is a question relating something completely different to what you are used to. Me and my long term girlfriend have decided to tie the not in the summer of 2011 (the summer of no football ;)), and im not that religious, and i know this is a old cliché but Villa pretty much is my religion with Villa Park being my church.

So of course we have looked at having our reception at Villa Park. I was under the influence that all season ticket holders get room hire at Villa Park for free, but when we enquired i was told im only entitled to 20% discount on the room because its a wedding and not a standard party. I was just wondering if you could find out more information on this? Ive been quoted £4000 all in, which of course is a lot of money and when planning a wedding you need to save money where you can.

So i was wondering if there was anything you could do for a season ticket holder at Villa Park of 10 years.

Regards and thanks in advance

General. Sir,

I know you are a busy man and answer as many of our questions as possible,

However, I am unsure if you read my earlier post, or, if you have an answer for it?

My previous post is below in quotes:

General,

Could I bring the following website to your attention?

It is called http://www.ticketsfortroops.org.uk/

Tickets For Troops is a brand new charity dedicated to offering free tickets for big events to our soldiers, sailors and airmen. There are many Premier League and Championship Football Clubs supporting this website and offering free tickets to Servicemen and women. I know that Villa already offer a concession to service personnel and that is also commendable.

I was wondering if Aston Villa had been approached by tickets for troops or if you, as a club would be adding your support to the site in the coming season?

As a serviceman myself, the site gives us an excellent opportunity to see the support our football clubs are giving to such worthy causes.

General

With Carlos Cuellar deleting most of his Facbook posts, and James Collins deleting his Twitter account altogether, is it now club policy that players must not use new media outlets to post their thoughts and opinions?

Oh, and has Martin O'Neill resigned?! ;)

Thanks General,

I come from a musical background and play with a number of bands and groups, The reason I brought the topic up was simple. If negativity gets into a group or the awareness that the crowd aren't behind you or are turning on you. Things quickly seem to fall apart.

What the club Needs now which you have constantly stated is support from fans, Its of my view that the villa faithful + the villa not so faithful don't recognise that a crowd really do control quite alot in terms of how the team progress, obviously there needs to be natural talent (which we have) but having a constantly supporting crowd cheering on our team, is how we'll push further. We need to make Villa Park a much more intimidating place for other teams to play at.

My I suggest thinking through some sort of activities for really really getting the crowd up, (We lack what Celtic & Ireland & Liverpool have decibel wise)

In Liverpools case - a mute button :D

Seriously, Gen, if ever there was a time you needed to come on and give a statement - today is it

I, and the media alike, feel there is no smoke without fire. It is no good saying "it is not worth mentioning" because it is.

If this is nonsence, an official statement needs to be given, or people (including me) will just think there must be truth in it.

On a totally seperate note, can you tell us what is happening with Bouma ?. About 2 months ago he gave a comment he was ready to play a part in the first team, then absolutely nothing, not even reserve team football.

Has he had a set back, or is it just a case of saying to him "just discount this season, come back in pre-season ready"

General - I hope you are well and on the mend, I hope you are able to visit VP in the near future - the Blues game would be perfect timing!!

I just wanted to add my thoughts to the debate regarding MON and the "has he, hasn't he" resigned. Personally I find it ammusing that certain media outlets seem determined to undermine what we are trying to achieve at Villa - I take it as a compliment, we must be doing someting right. IF there have been discussion within the halls of power at VP about funds and MON and Randy have had disagreements then this would be no different to any organisation/business - I suspect IF this happened (I am not asking for confirmation/denial by the way) then it is likely that some hack has over elaborated the story to make a big deal of a bad result at the weekend.

Secondly, there are a number of Villa fans on this site, and others, who seem to think that losing MON would be no bad thing - how wrong they are!!! We are making progress as a football club and this is down to the hard work MON, the players, the board & Randy put in. Deep down we all know this, I suspect one or two people have forgotten thats all. When MON and the present board arrived, we really were in the sh8t.

Keep up the good work General, and please pass on our thanks to MON and the players - we are getting there and I for one and delighted to be a Villa fan, unfortunately some people are never happy and quite honestly never will be. The way I look at it, I am off to Wembley for the 2nd time in 8 weeks - I would be delighted if I had that problem every season!!

Up the Villa

Dave

General Krulak here:

1. A wedding reception: Please call Alison Plant at AVFC ext 370 and she will give you all the info you need to put a wedding reception together at Villa Park.

2. The Lions Roar: My "pat" answer to a ticket question is to contact Nicky Keye at the ticket office and she will provide the answer and rationale.

3. villaboyjay: We have most definitely participated in the Tickets for Troops!! We will do so again. Additionally, we are the only Premiership Club that offers a permanent discount to members of the Forces.

4. Risso: The Club has NOT put a muzzle on our players re. Facebook and Twitter. My sense is that if a player has chosen to close his account, it is probably because of they felt they needed to close it. With some of the posts I get on this thread and others, I can imagine what a player might get!! Just kidding!!! :D:D

5. paulanddonya and others: It was not that long ago that rumors had MON going to the English Team...then it was to ManU...then to Celtic. There have been more MON sightings than there have been Elvis sightings!!! If the Club were to respond to every media comment involving Randy, players, MON or even me (yes, I have stepped in it more than once), we'd be on the radio, telly and newspapers every day. Everyone needs to calm down...Elvis is dead...even if there are papers who claim he has been sighted at a McDonalds.

General, not to go on and on, but again intentionally or not my question has been missed again.

General, not sure how viable this request/idea is, but ive been a season ticket holder for 2 seasons now (not that long compared with others here) but a regular attender at villa park for the past 12 years (im 18 now and been going with dad before getting sth) but this september im going to university in Huddersfield. My question is do the seats get changed at all during closed season? Because i would love to be able to take abit of my seat as a memory (can tell you where it is if needed) with me, perhaps just the back bit with the number on.
Sparey16 - your answer was on the previous page. Blandy
General Krulak here:

1. sparey16: We don't change seats during the off-season unless the seat is damaged in some manner...and those are then changed individually.

Apologies in advance for the General but I think the club should categorically clarify MON's position. I appreciate that neither MON, the Club nor Mr Lerner likes to respond to speculation, if that's what it is, but if the Club does not make a firm statement the rumours will simply multiply. Such is the nature of the British media and the internet.

Dear General Krulak,

I will be crucified by many on here for writing this but I honestly feel we have come to the end of the road wih MON.

He has done a good job in putting the club back to where it was for the majority of the John Gregory era ie top 6 (Actually DOL achieved 6th and a cup semi final in his first season without a quarter of the money MON has had).

The fact is he has now proved in the last three seasons that his methods ie playing the same players week after week just don't work. Every season come end of Feb we collapse. If it were the first season this had happened you could think he will learn from this but no it's the third and no one is learning.

I have attended Villa Park for 33 years and I have never seen us ship 7 goals in a match before. I was embarassed and ashamed of our performance on Saturday and yet not even a hint of an apology from O Neill. The same O Neill who was cupping his ear to the fans the week before when we struggled to a dreadful point at home to Wolves.

It's not just the lack of rotation that bothers me. It's the style of play, lack of possession, giving the ball away (check out the stats, we have hardly in any games home or away had more possession than the opposition). It's hardly a style that is going to get us higher in the league or do anything in Europe should we qualify (We only have to look at our european exploits in the last two seasons to see that). I look enviously at Spurs and the squad they have assembled and more importantly the style in which they play football. They are a club with a bright future.

We can be as well but sadly not with this regime. It's in the dark ages in terms of rotation, style of play and player acquistion.

I for one would not be sorry for an amicable parting of the ways in the Summer.

Many fans remain very loyal to MON and his coaches and that is their right. Oddly I rarely remember a manager more vocal or critical against the fans and yet he gets so much loyalty and love from them. The previous manager who had many faults criticised the fans once and was finished for ever.

I only want what's best for Villa. In my humble opinion that means come the end of the season no MON for reasons mentioned earlier and I would replace him with Martin Jol a coach who plays football the right way and did a fine job at Spurs and has continued to do well at Hamburg and Ajax.

That's my opinion and would remain my opinion even if we win the FA cup.

I just don't see us ever doing better than this with this style of play and this policy of rotation. MON will never change his views so for me sadly as there are many things to like also about MON ie his passion etc he would have to go. If he were to prove he could change that would be different but I believe it to be highly unlikely.

Anyway as many fans will be pleased to point out I don't make the decisions and nor do any of the fans. That is for the likes of you and Mr Lerner. Food for thought in any case.