The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I’m shocked by that. I expected Haye to batter him. But then I underestimated just how broken Haye is. Couldn’t keep his balance and looked incredibly weak from the first bell. He’s done that for the money knowing he wasn’t fit to fight.

• Like 1

Hayes a fraud a complete disgrace. The man did it for money and just looks slow and old.

Bellew vs ward woukd be a interesting fight. I don't like bellew but respect to him tonight solid win and good game plan

• Like 1

Ward would demolish Bellew.   Haye is done though, if there were any doubts about that before tonight then it's clear to see now that there is nothing left in the tank.  It's been an exceptional career though, hall of famer in the Cruiserweight division. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hayes a fraud a complete disgrace. The man did it for money and just looks slow and old.

What other reason would he be doing it for?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Ward would demolish Bellew.   Haye is done though, if there were any doubts about that before tonight then it's clear to see now that there is nothing left in the tank.  It's been an exceptional career though, hall of famer in the Cruiserweight division. 

Hmm not sure about that. Ward isnt a heavyweight and isnt a big puncher. Ward is a fantastic technical boxer and would outbox bellew. However seeing bellew tonight he has the power to ko ward.

I think it be better than this fight was.

Bellew isn't really a heavyweight either, he's had a couple of fights up there because if he wanted to fight a name as big as David Haye then the fight is on David Haye's terms. This is pertinent because if he wants to fight a name as big as Andre Ward then the fight is on Andre Ward's terms.  I  really can't see the Ward fight happening but if it does then it's at 178 in California. 

They should both retire after that shambles, They have enough money to last a lifetime. Hayes legs can't support his moobs and bellend is far too small to fight any proper heavyweight. Whyte/Wilder/Joshua would all put him in hospital and would imagine old Delboy would do the same

39 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Bellew isn't really a heavyweight either, he's had a couple of fights up there because if he wanted to fight a name as big as David Haye then the fight is on David Haye's terms. This is pertinent because if he wants to fight a name as big as Andre Ward then the fight is on Andre Ward's terms.  I  really can't see the Ward fight happening but if it does then it's at 178 in California. 

Bellew is more of a heavyweight than Andre ward though. I think kt would be a interesting fight to be honest. Bellew suprised me tonight as I did not thibk he had the punching power to hurt haye but he mullered him. It would certainly be better than him fighting whyte as whyte woukd be too big an powerful for him. Bellew can hurt ward but I'm not sure if he is intelligent enough to outbox ward.  I don't think ward would come out of retirement anyways.  

Haye should retire no one is going to pay to watch him anymore against bums and losers.he is finished. Just become a pundit and call it a day.he was humilated tonight.

Ward would absolutely embarrass Bellew and I genuinely believe would stop him at any weight. 

As for Haye, well, I genuinely hate this guy, partly because I've been a sucker for his ability to hype himself up over the years. Whilst he was a fantastic cruiserweight, I do think his achievements there are overrated, given the level of competition he had to face. Mormeck and Maccaranelli for instance are his best wins and hardly great boxers. A prime Haye would not reign in the current cruiserweight division. Usyk would school him and Gassiev would knock him out. His heavyweight 'reign' was always a complete joke, an arguable robbery win over Valuev got him a lightly regarded title and his performance against Klitschko an utter joke. 

I think last night he knew he had nothing in the tank. As Malignaggi pointed out, Haye was never putting weight on his back foot (his bad foot) throughout, you cannot generate effective power (if you're an explosive rather than heavy handed puncher at least) if you don't put weight on your back foot. He was a cripple going into the fight and that showed. He was simply cashing out.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, The_Rev said:

It's possible that Ward would move up to cruiserweight or even heavyweight having talked up doing as much at various points in his career. The problem with it happening at cruiserweight is that Bellew brings nothing to the table, Ward would surely only be interested at that weight if Bellew actually had a title. Heavyweight wouldn't be out of the question as it would be a tune up for Ward at the weight (I guess you could say the same for Cruiser but Ward has mentioned moving to HW more than he has CW).

As you said, I just can't see Tony Bellew being a big enough name for Ward. I know he's "retired" but he's almost certainly going to come back and Bellew is in that awful space where he is too good for a tune up fight but doesn't draw enough money for a big fight. Can't see it happening, certainly can't see it happening on Bellew's terms and in the unlikely event it does happen then I seriously can't see anything other than a comprehensive victory for Andre Ward. 

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's possible that Ward would move up to cruiserweight or even heavyweight having talked up doing as much at various points in his career. The problem with it happening at cruiserweight is that Bellew brings nothing to the table, Ward would surely only be interested at that weight if Bellew actually had a title. Heavyweight wouldn't be out of the question as it would be a tune up for Ward at the weight (I guess you could say the same for Cruiser but Ward has mentioned moving to HW more than he has CW).

Ward was waffling in my view. When he said he would fight Joshua at HW. He would get destroyed.

I think ward should fight bellew then winner goes on to fight usyk. I don't think ward woukd destroy bellew as much as those suggest. If expect ward to outbox him but I think bellew has the power to hurt ward.

Bellew is alot more intelligent boxer than i thought he was

What I can't understand is why people aren't calling Haye out over yet another injury, it was obvious that his foot exploded again (albeit not to the extent of the first fight) 

Paulie spotted straight away that he wasn't pushing off on it, it's almost as if people are giving Bellew a free pass to say that he has got an amazing win against a dangerous fighter when really he has beat an injured old man twice.

None of the interviews or pressers that I have watched have so much as mentioned the injury.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

What I can't understand is why people aren't calling Haye out over yet another injury, it was obvious that his foot exploded again (albeit not to the extent of the first fight) 

Paulie spotted straight away that he wasn't pushing off on it, it's almost as if people are giving Bellew a free pass to say that he has got an amazing win against a dangerous fighter when really he has beat an injured old man twice.

None of the interviews or pressers that I have watched have so much as mentioned the injury.

Very much so, he went into that ring a deadman walking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Ward was waffling in my view. When he said he would fight Joshua at HW. He would get destroyed.

I think ward should fight bellew then winner goes on to fight usyk. I don't think ward woukd destroy bellew as much as those suggest. If expect ward to outbox him but I think bellew has the power to hurt ward.

Bellew is alot more intelligent boxer than i thought he was

Ward has talked up a heavyweight move since at least 2012, well before Joshua was even on the scene. 

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Ward has talked up a heavyweight move since at least 2012, well before Joshua was even on the scene. 

Then my question is why hasnt even stepped up to cruiserweight yet alone heavyweight?

Â