The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

19 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yes, just talk to him about boxing.

After all, Tyson never talks about anything but boxing does he?

The guy was not interested in anything to  discussing anything do with the boxing.

57 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The guy was not interested in anything to  discussing anything do with the boxing.

But he can't have it both ways - if he wants to share his vile opinions with the world, he can't then expect people not to question him on them or his actions. He doesn't get to say on the one hand that homosexuality and abortion are as wrong as paedophilia then expect people won't ask him questions on it. It's a conversation he started and in starting it he has invited those questions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

But he can't have it both ways - if he wants to share his vile opinions with the world, he can't then expect people not to question him on them or his actions. He doesn't get to say on the one hand that homosexuality and abortion are as wrong as paedophilia then expect people won't ask him questions on it. It's a conversation he started and in starting it he has invited those questions.

The thing is any boxer fan is not really interested in hearing that. It's stupid his views are pretty extreme so I as a boxing fan am onky intetested in the boxing side not his views on homosexuality.

It's like me wanting to ask Henri lansbury whats your opinion on religion? I couldn't give a flying feck ! =) 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The thing is any boxer fan is not really interested in hearing that. It's stupid his views are pretty extreme so I as a boxing fan am onky intetested in the boxing side not his views on homosexuality.

It's like me wanting to ask Henri lansbury whats your opinion on religion? I couldn't give a flying feck ! =) 

Well, no, it's more like if Henri Lansbury were a vastly more famous athlete than he actually is, who used his frequent interviews with journalists to give a variety of unsavoury views about religions being evil and how anyone who believed in any god was basically a paedophile, and the being annoyed when other journalists wanted to ask him questions about it. 

Mel Gibson: Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world 

will I sit down and watch lethal weapon? Yes I will

guy is obviously an asshole but just like the sport , I will enjoy the movie not the views of Briggs off screen 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The thing is any boxer fan is not really interested in hearing that.

But it's not a boxing show, it's the news. It's not aimed at boxing fans, he's on it as a sports personality - and as such, he has to expect those sorts of questions. Unless he restricts himself to youtube then he's always going to have to deal with those questions.

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

But it's not a boxing show, it's the news. It's not aimed at boxing fans, he's on it as a sports personality - and as such, he has to expect those sorts of questions. Unless he restricts himself to youtube then he's always going to have to deal with those questions.

Another example. John Terry we know how much crap he has done but after a villa game they don't ask nothing about the game just about Wayne bridge or his racism row. Am I interested in any of that? Hell no I am interested in villa not about media trying to get a story.

Same with fury I am more interested in when and who is fighting next then his views on gay marriage.couldnt give a flying f about that.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Another example. John Terry we know how much crap he has done but after a villa game they don't ask nothing about the game just about Wayne bridge or his racism row. 

But they might do if he went on Loose Women.

Fury chose to go onto ITV news, it wasn't a post fight interview on sky sports.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, pete101 said:

guy is obviously an asshole but just like the sport , I will enjoy the movie not the views of Briggs off screen 

I'm much the same, I'll watch Fury fight, he's a good fighter and he's fascinating to watch. When he fights he's a fighter, when he doesn't he's not. I guess the same with Mel Gibson - would you watch Mel Gibson on Oprah? And if you did, would you expect her to ask the question about his anti-Semitism? 

As a boxer, Fury can't expect to use the media to sell his fights using his celebrity and then not expect the media to question his views in return.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

This notion that famous people can expect never to be asked questions by journalists about controversial things that they have said or done is obviously preposterous. Sorry, but it is. 

But do you actually care I mean seriously about what a fool like fury has to say about things outside boxing?

I am not interested in the slightest

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

But they might do if he went on Loose Women.

Fury chose to go onto ITV news, it wasn't a post fight interview on sky sports.

Or maybe as the media do said it would be about boxing and when the time came had absolutely nothing to do with boxing?

46 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But do you actually care I mean seriously about what a fool like fury has to say about things outside boxing?

I am not interested in the slightest

I don't think this is the right way to think about the question. It isn't about what I care about, or what I find interesting. It's whether Fury's views on social issues are a matter of legitimate public interest, and therefore fair game for journalists to ask about. They are, because he placed them into the public arena, unbidden. Maybe he regrets that now, but that's just kind of tough shit really. 

12 hours ago, pete101 said:

I don't know what's worse, the Mel Gibson remark about Jews, or having to watch Lethal Weapon ?

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think this is the right way to think about the question. It isn't about what I care about, or what I find interesting. It's whether Fury's views on social issues are a matter of legitimate public interest, and therefore fair game for journalists to ask about. They are, because he placed them into the public arena, unbidden. Maybe he regrets that now, but that's just kind of tough shit really. 

I think he was tricked into the interview though. They probably said we going to ask you about your next fight and then when interview starts completely ask something that has nothing to do with boxing.

I am not a fan of duty tbh but I think he was stitched up here.

It's both a blessing and a pity that he's not been media conditioned in the same way as other high profile sports stars - you know that Joshua would have used the question as an opportunity to talk about his regret for the remarks, his changes in thinking, the groups he'd spoken to and how he was working to change things.

Fury's "No comment" on the other hand makes him look rude and ignorant - but it is at least genuine I guess, it is who he really is. You're never sure you get that with Joshua. I think there's public interest in Fury outside of boxing and I think a big part of that is the slightly unbelievable golden boy against the genuinely rude and ignorant oaf. It all helps sell the pay per view I guess.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's both a blessing and a pity that he's not been media conditioned in the same way as other high profile sports stars - you know that Joshua would have used the question as an opportunity to talk about his regret for the remarks, his changes in thinking, the groups he'd spoken to and how he was working to change things.

Fury's "No comment" on the other hand makes him look rude and ignorant - but it is at least genuine I guess, it is who he really is. You're never sure you get that with Joshua. I think there's public interest in Fury outside of boxing and I think a big part of that is the slightly unbelievable golden boy against the genuinely rude and ignorant oaf. It all helps sell the pay per view I guess.

The thing with Joshua though he has a good pr team behind him and help him with media speaking. Fury has a big ego.

Hearn has done well making Joshua so likeable.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The thing with Joshua though he has a good pr team behind him and help him with media speaking. Fury has a big ego.

Hearn has done well making Joshua so likeable.

Made me laugh after he beat Parker, AJ was giving it the big spuds and started to come across more arrogant than people are used to seeing him then all of the media training kicks in and he starts talking about diversity and how all people are equal and they people of all colour and class unite over their love of boxing and all of a sudden he is good ol humble AJ again.

I’m already beginning to tire with the AJ ‘humble man’ routine, probably because it’s all conceived by the oily snake Eddie Hearn who is completely odious. 

Saying that, I’d rather see Joshua win than Fury

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

I’m already beginning to tire with the AJ ‘humble man’ routine, probably because it’s all conceived by the oily snake Eddie Hearn who is completely odious. 

Saying that, I’d rather see Joshua win than Fury

His past history of dealing drugs, and even his recent private messages to Eddie Chambers shows him up for what he is.

• Like 1

Â