The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Loma is seriously high class, unbelievable footwork, hand speed, combination and punch selection. Linares deserve a lot of credit for playing his part, he won 2-3 rounds and became the first to drop Loma in a professional fight with a superb short counter right hand that he walked Loma into. Stunning body shot to finish the job from Loma. I feel like lightweight is just about Loma's limit, he can most likely take a belt at junior welterweight against a lesser regarded boxer at that weight but I can see how his lack of size will become an issue. A fight with Garcia will be really intriguing because Garcia's best punch is the straight right hand and he has more power than Linares, he's also bigger than Linares as well.

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Loma is seriously high class, unbelievable footwork, hand speed, combination and punch selection. Linares deserve a lot of credit for playing his part, he won 2-3 rounds and became the first to drop Loma in a professional fight with a superb short counter right hand that he walked Loma into. Stunning body shot to finish the job from Loma. I feel like lightweight is just about Loma's limit, he can most likely take a belt at junior welterweight against a lesser regarded boxer at that weight but I can see how his lack of size will become an issue. A fight with Garcia will be really intriguing because Garcia's best punch is the straight right hand and he has more power than Linares, he's also bigger than Linares as well.

Yeah Linares was game, it was a close fight but I had Loma up by a couple of rounds by the time of the stoppage, the judges had it as a draw, size will be the only thing that can beat Loma, I think if Garcia landed the straight right that Linares did then Loma may not be getting up from it.

Its a shame that he isn't a little bit bigger, he's a joy to watch though.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Well put. Would love to see the loma Garcia fight, but as you say he is bigger than linares and hits harder. If linares can put him on the floor Garcia can hurt loma.

loma is a better boxer for sure but I think it might b3 a step too high for him against Garcia. But I would definitely like to see it.

next fight I am looking forward to is Crawford vs horn. Seeing Crawford at this weight is going to be excitin*. I am a big Crawford fan, and I hope he cleans up the division starting with hirn than cock Thurman an£ a big show down with Errol spence

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Well put. Would love to see the loma Garcia fight, but as you say he is bigger than linares and hits harder. If linares can put him on the floor Garcia can hurt loma.

loma is a better boxer for sure but I think it might b3 a step too high for him against Garcia. But I would definitely like to see it.

next fight I am looking forward to is Crawford vs horn. Seeing Crawford at this weight is going to be excitin*. I am a big Crawford fan, and I hope he cleans up the division starting with hirn than cock Thurman an£ a big show down with Errol spence

The other argument one could take is that whilst Garcia has a big right hand and is very accurate he's also very conservative and punches at a low output, he is also not as fast as Linares is, by some distance in fact. I could see Lomachenko out working him and I can imagine that it will be harder for Garcia to land that sort of right hand on Lomachenko. 

In terms of Crawford vs Horn, well, easy fight for Crawford, Horn is too basic.

5 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Yeah Linares was game, it was a close fight but I had Loma up by a couple of rounds by the time of the stoppage, the judges had it as a draw, size will be the only thing that can beat Loma, I think if Garcia landed the straight right that Linares did then Loma may not be getting up from it.

Its a shame that he isn't a little bit bigger, he's a joy to watch though.

Garcia wouldn't have that speed to land that punch, but if he was to land a right hand on Lomo's chin, I don't think he would get up in the same way as he did against Linares.

The one positive in Gracia's favour is the size difference. I really think Loma has reached his level in terms of weight.

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Garcia wouldn't have that speed to land that punch, but if he was to land a right hand on Lomo's chin, I don't think he would get up in the same way as he did against Linares.

The one positive in Gracia's favour is the size difference. I really think Loma has reached his level in terms of weight.

I agree. He can’t go any higher than this now

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The other argument one could take is that whilst Garcia has a big right hand and is very accurate he's also very conservative and punches at a low output, he is also not as fast as Linares is, by some distance in fact. I could see Lomachenko out working him and I can imagine that it will be harder for Garcia to land that sort of right hand on Lomachenko. 

In terms of Crawford vs Horn, well, easy fight for Crawford, Horn is too basic.

Horn should in theory get completely outboxed.  Crawford can then take in the coward Thurman who for me is the fakes5 champion because he looks fir any excuses to duck fighters 

I know they say anything can happen in boxing, but I really struggle to make a case for Warrington against Selby. 

I can honestly see it being a total shut out for Selby. Far too clever for someone as limited as Warrington.

53 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I know they say anything can happen in boxing, but I really struggle to make a case for Warrington against Selby. 

I can honestly see it being a total shut out for Selby. Far too clever for someone as limited as Warrington.

I'm backing Warrington to the hilt, I've never been able to get behind Selby for some reason.

I agree with you, I think a shut out for Selby is the most likely scenario, I like Warrington though and I'd love him to pull it out of the bag

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

I'm backing Warrington to the hilt, I've never been able to get behind Selby for some reason.

I agree with you, I think a shut out for Selby is the most likely scenario, I like Warrington though and I'd love him to pull it out of the bag

I'm the opposite, something rubs me up the wrong way about Leeds fans.

13 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Warrington is shit tbh, he struggled with an absolutely ancient Kiko Martinez last year. Selby will school him, he is vastly superior in every department and Warrington has absolutely no power to turn the fight in his favour.

I'm looking forward to Jack vs Stevenson later, I think Jack will win and even think he can stop Stevenson late on in that. 

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Warrington is shit tbh, he struggled with an absolutely ancient Kiko Martinez last year. Selby will school him, he is vastly superior in every department and Warrington has absolutely no power to turn the fight in his favour.

I'm looking forward to Jack vs Stevenson later, I think Jack will win and even think he can stop Stevenson late on in that. 

I most certainly concur on the first.

The Jack fight, will for me, determine just how good he really is . l know Stevenson has his detractors, but he certainly showed the limits of Bellew's level.

I'm more interested in the back Stevenson fight. I fancy Stevenson on points. If Stevenson steps up to cruiserweight which i doubt he will now to fight bellew, bellew wins for me.

Looks like ward and bellew might happen.  I think ward wins but it won't be as easy as people think. Kolavev knocked ward down and bellew is a heavier hitter. But wards a very smart boxer so I would expect ward to win it

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

I most certainly concur on the first.

The Jack fight, will for me, determine just how good he really is . l know Stevenson has his detractors, but he certainly showed the limits of Bellew's level.

Cleverly and even Ovil McKenzie did that. 

I see Stevenson is really old now, hasn't had a competitive opponent in years and Jack is very smart, has good defence, good clean counters and more power than advertised. 

I constantly forget that Stevenson is still champion, his defenses have been quite embarrassing, I hope Jack wins it.

It looks like everyone here is backing Selby to win relatively easy, one thing that is for certain the atmosphere will be electric.

Warrington boxed out of his skin, you know when you see a boxer constantly complaining to the ref like Selby was he isn't finding it comfortable. If there's one sport that is guaranteed to surprise, it's boxing.

Maybe Selby just got found out. He certainly seemed overwhelmed by the occasion.

Enjoyed the Russell fight. Non stop action, Diaz had his moments, but Russell was just that little bit too good.

Jack and Adonis was also another action packed fight, and although I slightly edged towards Jack, you couldn't really complain with the result. I thought Adonis won the first six rounds, but Jack came on really strong in the final half of an absorbing fight.

30 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Warrington boxed out of his skin, you know when you see a boxer constantly complaining to the ref like Selby was he isn't finding it comfortable. If there's one sport that is guaranteed to surprise, it's boxing.

Maybe Selby just got found out. He certainly seemed overwhelmed by the occasion.

Enjoyed the Russell fight. Non stop action, Diaz had his moments, but Russell was just that little bit too good.

Jack and Adonis was also another action packed fight, and although I slightly edged towards Jack, you couldn't really complain with the result. I thought Adonis won the first six rounds, but Jack came on really strong in the final half of an absorbing fight.

It was close a draw seemed fair although I had Stevenson up by a round. Can’t argue with the draw. Stevenson really tired at the end. At crusierweight bellew would beat him.

cant see him stepping up now

I had Jack winning by two rounds, great fight, clear to me the top light heavy's deal with Stevenson though. Warrington boxed really well, Selby was pretty horrible though, neither are exactly world class and that's masked by the ridiculous 4 world titles per division. I'm fairly sure Frampton would make lightish work of Warrington but then I underrated him big time once before.

Really sad news today with the passing of Brendan Ingle. He had a unique way with his training methods, not always to everyone's taste, but he was loved by the purists, because of his belief in that boxing was all about , hitting and not being hit back, of which Herol Graham was the personification. Let's not forget his nurturing of Naz, who for me,  was one of the hardest hitting featherweights I've seen. 

It was also his commitment to the community at large that was admirable. He saved so many young lads from lives of crime,  through the wisdom he would teach at that famous Winckobank, gym. You couldn't help but be charmed by that wonderful Dublin lilt.

Rest in peace, old man. You'll be missed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Â