The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I keep saying to everyone that I can't believe that they are annoyed or disappointed by the Fury fight, did you not see Sefari get in the ring with him just a few days before the fight? did you not see him jump into Tysons arms at the weigh in? it was always going to be an exhibition fight at the level of Freddy Flintoff, I don't really have a problem with it, get him out in a few months once he has lost a bit more timber (considering he has already lost about 8 stones in a short amount of time) and against a bigger bloke, still someone who is a bum but at least a heavyweight, let him blow them over then you can start talking about him moving up to opposition that is still terrible but not the absolute worst out there.

It is going to be a long long long road back for Fury, I just don't see how anyone expected anything other than what we got last night, I was far more interested in Flanagan and Hooker from the off.

As for Crawford he is probably my favourite fighter at the moment, yeah he doesn't have any A level boxers on his resume but he has just won a world title after unifying the division below and winning world titles at the division below that one, there isn't any hiding for him now, I believe that he wants to fight for all the other champions, I think he's gone about building his career in the right way so far.

• Like 2

yeah last night was pretty much what i expected, im still massively on the fence over fury, i dont enjoy him as a character and dont particularly like him as boxer either, im hoping he reaches the top and gets destroyed by AJ (but i wouldnt say no to him smashing bellew along the way)

i think as much as anything last night he showed he's no where near getting a PPV fight, which isnt a bad thing

did think it was interesting warren told him to wave to the crowd at the end rather than just stand there grinning, i think he knew what a mugging that was

55 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

I keep saying to everyone that I can't believe that they are annoyed or disappointed by the Fury fight, did you not see Sefari get in the ring with him just a few days before the fight? did you not see him jump into Tysons arms at the weigh in? it was always going to be an exhibition fight at the level of Freddy Flintoff, I don't really have a problem with it, get him out in a few months once he has lost a bit more timber (considering he has already lost about 8 stones in a short amount of time) and against a bigger bloke, still someone who is a bum but at least a heavyweight, let him blow them over then you can start talking about him moving up to opposition that is still terrible but not the absolute worst out there.

It is going to be a long long long road back for Fury, I just don't see how anyone expected anything other than what we got last night, I was far more interested in Flanagan and Hooker from the off.

As for Crawford he is probably my favourite fighter at the moment, yeah he doesn't have any A level boxers on his resume but he has just won a world title after unifying the division below and winning world titles at the division below that one, there isn't any hiding for him now, I believe that he wants to fight for all the other champions, I think he's gone about building his career in the right way so far.

They ought to investigate betting patterns, I say the entire thing was a fix.

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Wouldn't hold your breath on thinking Fury can get to the top of the division. He looked awful and in terrible shape, I think he has abused his body too much to ever be at the elite end again.

Jeff Horn, what a terrible boxer, never understood why @Demitri_C was so excited for that fight lol.

That's the one thing about boxing,if you cut corners it will no doubt come back to bite you on the arse. There's a reason why Ricky Hatton was found out at the elite end of boxing. He just wasn't dedicated enough.  Whatever your opinions on Mayweather, you have to acknowledge his mantra of " hard work and dedication ".

Not one of the fights from last night excited me. Charlo is more surface than substance, Horn, the less said the better. Mares and Santa - Cruz, lacked the intensity it promised. 

Didn't even bother with the Fury fight. As for Flanagan, I think he realised he isn't as good  as he thought he was .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Not one of the fights from last night excited me. Charlo is more surface than substance, Horn, the less said the better. Mares and Santa - Cruz, lacked the intensity it promised. 

Didn't even bother with the Fury fight. As for Flanagan, I think he realised he just about as good  as everyone else thought he was .

fixed that for you, its amazing to think he managed to hold onto that belt for 3 years, then again if you look at the opponents he has faced since winning the belt it is very much a Warren fighters resume

• Like 2

Pretty much how I assessed things.

(1) Charlo is extremely overrated he throws around 10 punches per round and has no quality wins. His brother is better but his brother is also overrated.

(2) 'Turbo' Terry has always been a C level boxer, lucky to be a 'champion' due to the proliferation of titles per division. Maurice Hooker himself isn't that good so you can well and truly see Terry's level, which is European level.

(3) Fury will probably never get back to what he was, you can't get that obese and do that much cocaine and drink that much alcohol at his age and not sustain permanent damage. His goal is to cash out on a big fight and let the chips fall where they may.

11 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Pretty much how I assessed things.

(1) Charlo is extremely overrated he throws around 10 punches per round and has no quality wins. His brother is better but his brother is also overrated.

I get confused over which one is which, I mean why the **** would you have identical twins and call them Jermall and Jermell?

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

I get confused over which one is which, I mean why the **** would you have identical twins and call them Jermall and Jermell?

On last  night's  performance, I think  Brook would be licking his lips at the thought of facing the one whose fighting at light - middleweight. As for the one at Middleweight, I think Jacobs or Saunders beats him.

20 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Wouldn't hold your breath on thinking Fury can get to the top of the division. He looked awful and in terrible shape, I think he has abused his body too much to ever be at the elite end again.

Jeff Horn, what a terrible boxer, never understood why @Demitri_C was so excited for that fight lol.

Because Terrance Crawford is a joy to watch.  I knew he would be a master class on. Not interested in horn in the slightest! I think Crawford will fighter porter next. No doubt Thurman will run like a bitch

I still can't quite believe just what a farce that Fury fight was. Frank Warren should be utterly embarrassed for serving that up. The retirement between rounds summed it all up.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Because Terrance Crawford is a joy to watch.  I knew he would be a master class on. Not interested in horn in the slightest! I think Crawford will fighter porter next. No doubt Thurman will run like a bitch

Spence will beat him IMO

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Spence will beat him IMO

Spence have only fought brook thats a name. Peterson is past it. If expect Spence to win but it wont be a easy fight for Spence. 

I think Crawford beats porter and Thurman. Then a unification against Spence I think. Spence should then move up a weight  id like to see him.and brook at that weight. I know your convinced Spence would win but I'm not so sure. Brook is the bigger guy and more comfortable at that weight.

Brook was actually winning the earlier rounds vs Spence so if like to see that fight again.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Spence have only fought brook thats a name. Peterson is past it. If expect Spence to win but it wont be a easy fight for Spence. 

I think Crawford beats porter and Thurman. Then a unification against Spence I think. Spence should then move up a weight  id like to see him.and brook at that weight. I know your convinced Spence would win but I'm not so sure. Brook is the bigger guy and more comfortable at that weight.

Brook was actually winning the earlier rounds vs Spence so if like to see that fight again.

Brook is better than anyone Crawford has ever fought and Spence broke him down and stopped him, great performance. I agree Spence will probably move up at some point, quite a big welter.

I

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Brook is better than anyone Crawford has ever fought and Spence broke him down and stopped him, great performance. I agree Spence will probably move up at some point, quite a big welter.

The thing is when he "was stopped" brook was hurt but a lot of if it was physiological. When his eye socket was badly damaged he was worried about what the doctors had told him against triple g about losing his vision.

The triple g fight ruined brook. Your right he is but you must remember what weights Crawford has come from. It's a lot smaller than Brooks. Crawford has a awesome skill set. Reminds me of mayweather

Â