The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Looks like GGG has opted for another easy night on May 5th. We already know that he can beat up small fighers with ease so not sure what fighting Vanes Martirosyan is going to prove.

A light middleweight who hasn't fought for 2 years and has lost 50% of his last 6 fights dating back 5 years

37 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

What was he done ? Smoked a bit of weed. Plenty of boxers who done a lot worse than him. Bernard Hopkins comes to mind.

He's been up in front of a judge for dealing, been charged with ABH, been on remand for some sort of violent offence and I'm sure has talked about having carried out a mugging as a youth. He was well on his way to a criminal life as a young man and apparently was on an ASBO when he walked into his first amateur gym and began the journey from there to here.

Boxing as the great redeemer and all that.

8 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Looks like GGG has opted for another easy night on May 5th. We already know that he can beat up small fighers with ease so not sure what fighting Vanes Martirosyan is going to prove.

A light middleweight who hasn't fought for 2 years and has lost 50% of his last 6 fights dating back 5 years

perfectly constructed, Canelo has got a 6 month ban (from the time he tested positive) which means he is free to fight from August, meaning the rematch  (which will now be bigger than ever) will be available for the Mexican festival in September.

I almost hope that somehow GGG gets KTFO just to **** up everyones plans

It's not a good fight, but I didn't see too many compelling alternatives, a lot of the top guys are tied up with other fights (Jacobs, Murata) or 'injuries' (Saunders). I'd have like to have seen him fight Demitrius Andrade but it's not clear he would have been able to hit the May 5th date given has not had a fight since last year.

Sergiy Derevyanchenko I honestly think could beat GGG and that was probably behind the thinking to not fight him, despite him calling out Golovkin. Vanes kind of makes sense, they don't want to jeopardise the Canelo rematch and with the fight likely to be moved to California, Vanes is known in that state being a native. 

16 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

yeah as I say, you'd expect Frampton to win, its still a decent fight regardless, I'm more interested in that than Khan and the Gecko though

Donaire is finished and will offer very little. His power doesn't even carry to Featherweight. It will be an easy fight for Frampton IMO.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I think the welterweight is going to get really interesting. Horn vs Crawford at 147, you would expect Crawford to demolish Horn as he is just a awesome boxer. Then you have the potential Porter vs Thurman which I expect Thurman to win (although he is running scared of Spence)

Thurman vs Crawford after that you would guess with then the winner fighting Spence.

Spence vs Crawford would be a absolutely great boxing contest 

On 18/04/2018 at 19:41, leemond2008 said:

good question, but most people are talking about Khan rather than Frampton at the minute, and that isn't just the casual fan either, I suppose its either to spout hate for Khan than to anticipate a poorly publicized good fight (and I'm guilty of that myself)

In fairness to Khan, I can't recall seeing him in a dull fight. He possessed terrific hand speed, and for me, when in the ring, always gave his all. Shame about the Village inn.

On 18/04/2018 at 19:50, OutByEaster? said:

He's been up in front of a judge for dealing, been charged with ABH, been on remand for some sort of violent offence and I'm sure has talked about having carried out a mugging as a youth. He was well on his way to a criminal life as a young man and apparently was on an ASBO when he walked into his first amateur gym and began the journey from there to here.

Boxing as the great redeemer and all that.

Nothing in comparison to a lot of other boxers. I get your point though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Shame that they are both on at pretty much the same time. Frampton ringwalk due at 10 & Khan at 10.15.

Think i will watch the khan show & maybe watch frampton later before skimming the rest of that card tomorrow

Frampton it is :P

You could watch the Khan fight in a gif if you wanted.   I thought Lo Greco would give him a few rounds before falling, he didn't even land a punch.   He called out Broner after the fight, assuming Broner would beat Vargas.  Turns out it was a majority draw. Anybody watch that fight?

Lo Greco is shit but credit to Khan for the way he did it. Lo Creco went 10 round with Porter and 3 with Spence, Khan had him folded in like 20 seconds. Interesting theme in Khan's career, if he does drop people it tends to be early when his opponents are somewhat cold or simply unadjusted to his speed. Guys like Spence and Crawford will brutalise him, Thurman probably stops him too, but Khan can definitely beat the likes of Broner, Vargas and I think Danny Garcia in a rematch.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Lo Greco is shit but credit to Khan for the way he did it. Lo Creco went 10 round with Porter and 3 with Spence, Khan had him folded in like 20 seconds. Interesting theme in Khan's career, if he does drop people it tends to be early when his opponents are somewhat cold or simply unadjusted to his speed. Guys like Spence and Crawford will brutalise him, Thurman probably stops him too, but Khan can definitely beat the likes of Broner, Vargas and I think Danny Garcia in a rematch.

I dont think he beats Garcia the rest i agree although broner is 50/50. This weight group has some interesting fights.  Crawford beats  horn then that sets up some fights.  Thurman is ducking porter and esp Spence. I think Thurman would go for someone like khan.

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont think he beats Garcia the rest i agree although broner is 50/50. This weight group has some interesting fights.  Crawford beats  horn then that sets up some fights.  Thurman is ducking porter and esp Spence. I think Thurman would go for someone like khan.

I definitely think he beats Garcia. Until that, IMO, lucky punch, Khan was beating him up, he seemed to have no answer to Khan's hand speed. I remember Garcia's father, telling Danny the corner that he was letting hit him for fun.

I'd take Khan all day in a rematch.

5 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I definitely think he beats Garcia. Until that, IMO, lucky punch, Khan was beating him up, he seemed to have no answer to Khan's hand speed. I remember Garcia's father, telling Danny the corner that he was letting hit him for fun.

I think Garcia has got better. It's hard to judge Khan based on this fight as his opponent was terrible. He might go for Crawford if he beats horn. But Crawford would humilate khan. 

Crawford is a exceptional fighter. I hope to see him vs Spence at some point

12 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I didn't necessarily see it has a lucky punch to be fair, I feel like Garcia did a good job targeting Khan's body prior to that and that set up the opening for the counter left hook that he nailed Khan with. However I do agree that Khan should beat him in a rematch, Garcia has a punchers chance, but Khan is the vastly better boxer. If there's one boxer out there who I really do not rate it's Danny Garcia. He's solid at a lot of things, but really not that good overall.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â