The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

For me, there was a maturity to the way Joshua boxed last night . I think Robert McCracken has instilled some discipline into his boxing. I thought his jab was on point and also his work on the inside, when the ref was allowing him to. 

Yes, it seemed dull at times , but not everyone can be knocked out, especially someone as durable as Parker. I remember Carl Froch saying the only time he messed up was when he didn't listen to the instructions of his trainer, hence the outcome of the rematch with Groves. You know they had worked on catching Groves with that peach of a punch. Hopefully Joshua will have the same fruitful partnership, because there's no denying, Robert is a very competent man to have in your corner.

• Like 1

Showed to me how lousy this heavyweight division is, it was thorough C level vs B level out there and that B level is generous. I think there was more quality in the K bro era, when both of them were in their primes. Wilder is also, in the scheme of things, a clown, but his power is at least special, about the only thing special in the heavyweight division right now.

21 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

For me, there was a maturity to the way Joshua boxed last night . I think Robert McCracken has instilled some discipline into his boxing. I thought his jab was on point and also his work on the inside, when the ref was allowing him to. 

Yes, it seemed dull at times , but not everyone can be knocked out, especially someone as durable as Parker. I remember Carl Froch saying the only time he messed up was when he didn't listen to the instructions of his trainer, hence the outcome of the rematch with Groves. You know they had worked on catching Groves with that peach of a punch. Hopefully Joshua will have the same fruitful partnership, because there's no denying, Robert is a very competent man to have in your corner.

I think there was maturity in the sense that he was able to push out the jab, use his range and superior reach and not get too excited and take unnecessary risks. I felt there was a lack of maturity in the broader boxing IQ sense that he does need to address though. This revolves around how Parker took the right hand away from Joshua, he did this whilst remaining in range for the most part. Joshua didn't seem to know how to set the punch up against a guy who showed him movement, Joshua really didn't appear to have the foot speed to step into his punches.

50 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think there was maturity in the sense that he was able to push out the jab, use his range and superior reach and not get too excited and take unnecessary risks. I felt there was a lack of maturity in the broader boxing IQ sense that he does need to address though. This revolves around how Parker took the right hand away from Joshua, he did this whilst remaining in range for the most part. Joshua didn't seem to know how to set the punch up against a guy who showed him movement, Joshua really didn't appear to have the foot speed to step into his punches.

I think it's important to remember how relatively late Joshua came into boxing.  That is why I think he couldn't have a better tutor than Robert McCracken, for me he can only improve from here on. 

12 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Canelo GGG is officially off as Canelo has withdrawn due to his pending doping ban

So he is a drug cheat the. Lost all respect for canelo. would like to see triple g vs saunders now 

DeGale won back his IBF strap, looked great for the first couple of rounds before a combination of a bad cut and Truax's style made him struggle to victory. I don't think DeGale is 'shot', he was much better than in the first bout, but he's definitely a declined fighter. Truax does seem to just have a horrible style for him though, always on his chest, making things a dog fight, not really what DeGale likes, he likes time and space. DeGale has limited time left, I'd imagine he'll be in line for the winner of Groves vs Smith or David Benavidez who is a fairly talented 21 year old WBC Super middle champ, and has a style that would be all wrong for DeGale IMO.

Jarred Hurd beat Lara last night, which I expected him to do so, very good fight and a knockdown in round 12 was the difference. Lara looked amazing at times, really is a super quick and smooth boxer, but Hurd is an old school pressure fighter who looks to grind you down. Hurd would be a hard fight for Brook, if Brook can't hurt him in the first half of the fight I could see Hurd's pressure really getting to Brook.

Hurd as a heart the size of a lion . That's how you cut a ring off, Chris Eubank Jr. I love the way Hurd forced Lara to stay in the pocket, which isn't his usual way of fighting, but credit to Lara, he produced one hell of a performance . I had it level going into the last. The way Hurd went out in that last round was the stuff of a great champion.

You will struggle to see a better fight all year, imo.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Hurd as a heart the size of a lion . That's how you cut a ring off, Chris Eubank Jr. I love the way Hurd forced Lara to stay in the pocket, which isn't his usual way of fighting, but credit to Lara, he produced one hell of a performance . I had it level going into the last. The way Hurd went out in that last round was the stuff of a great champion.

You will struggle to see a better fight all year, imo.

I expect him to take over the division, he'll destroy whoever wins Smith vs Sadam Ali, I think he'd beat Jermell Charlo too (who I don't rate). Brook is the most interesting fight but I would favour Hurd.

The thing is, Brook is an extremely accurate puncher, and has good power, more power than Lara as far as I'm concerned and he can hit you with more variety than the Cuban as well. I think he will not struggle to land on Hurd at all. I'd see Brook getting undone late on, basically getting ground down and potentially stopped, however this hinges on how well Hurd can take Brook's punch.

58 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

That'll be "no comment" then.

To be fair  to fury ffs ask him about boxing not crap in the past trying to antagonize him.

Curious to see who he is fighting in june. Probably some bum who he will destroy before setting up a fight with perhaps the winner of haye-bellew.

I think Ortiz would be a good opponent for him.

Â