General Chat

Stevo985

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

"People who don't have work the next day go out and get shitfaced". I'm shocked. I eagerly await the Prime Minister's statement on this matter.

It does seem a very British thing to do, to get that wrecked. I wonder how it became so? I've been lucky enough to go out boozing in cities in 40 odd countries and never seen anything remotely similar to what a regular Saturday night on Broad Street produces. 

I find it interesting and wonder when it started. 

Edited by Xela

Yep from my experience of nights out in say Lyon and Milan people are out, lots and lots of people and they're drinking but they seem to hug pints, take time eating drinking and talking, we smash the food down, if we go for a meal we don't spend 3-4 hours picking at food enjoying ourselves, drink is the same, we smash it down and get the next one

there seems to be a different concept of time and therefore the speed at which we do it

• Like 1

As I clicked that newspaper story, I thought to myself, 'this is just going to be a barely concealed excuse to print pictures of nubile young women in tight dresses and short skirts' and some of the first pictures bear that out, but in fact it's 32 pictures of 'what a British night out in a city centre looks like'. How is it news, and how is it of interest to any of the Mail's readers? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Xela said:

It does seem a very British thing to do, to get that wrecked. I wonder how it became so? I've been lucky enough to go out boozing in cities in 40 odd countries and never seen anything remotely similar to what a regular Saturday night on Broad Street produces. 

A VERY long time ago. According to Paxman's book on The English, there are accounts from the middle ages by continental Europeans, bewildered by the drinking behaviour of English people. Exactly the same pattern - they took their time, drinking with a meal, whereas we slammed down a huge quantity of booze, went looking for a fight, threw up, passed out. It's embarrassing. 

• Like 1

Things have changed for me but pre kids I used to love the easter weekend. Thursday night get shitfaced, go out Friday afternoon and get shitfaced, rest Saturday and then go out all day on Sunday. All in the name of the good lord of course.

57 minutes ago, Xela said:

Have you never visited Ireland ?

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

They like to tut. 

I doubt they're completely unfamiliar with the effects of getting shitfaced themselves. Probably at the golf club rather than Broad Street, but still. 

Maybe we need to distinguish between the Mail and MailOnline. This story, appearing in this way, is probably meant as a 'humorous' ethnographic study of Brits for MailOnline's American readers. 

7 minutes ago, coda said:

Mail sneering at the working class again.

I have to admit the other day I was thinking of how much I dislike a lot of the working class people I come across.  It's bad I know and pretty much is just a blind prejudice, though I still hate the Daily Mail more.

18 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I have to admit the other day I was thinking of how much I dislike a lot of the working class people I come across.  It's bad I know and pretty much is just a blind prejudice, though I still hate the Daily Mail more.

You are a class traitor and have been added to my list of VT bourgeoisie.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, limvillian said:

Have you never visited Ireland ?

Yes, Dublin was full of British stag do's getting pissed :P

I get your point though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coda said:

Mail sneering at the working class again.

Did the article mention class? They could be back from Eton and Harrow for the Easter holidays and fancied a night out getting so drunk you fall asleep in doorways and vomit over yourselves. 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

How is it news, and how is it of interest to any of the Mail's readers? 

They ran out of tweets and pictures of Kim Kardashian to write articles about?

95% of the Mail Online seems to be pictures of scantily clad women taken from a distance or simply copied from their Instagram pages. 

Edited by Xela

Â