General Chat

Stevo985

What gas and electricity company are you all with? I've been with eon for last year's and they have just put Bill up again so decided for first time to look at alternatives went on switch and found companies like iresa and economy energy who I have never heard but could save me £130 A year. Has anyone used one of these smaller firms before?

Am not sure why they are so small if they are a lot more cheaper than the big 6 so a lil reluctant to go with them

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What gas and electricity company are you all with? I've been with eon for last year's and they have just put Bill up again so decided for first time to look at alternatives went on switch and found companies like iresa and economy energy who I have never heard but could save me £130 A year. Has anyone used one of these smaller firms before?

Am not sure why they are so small if they are a lot more cheaper than the big 6 so a lil reluctant to go with them

I'm with first utility, but you want to get your usage details and plug them in to a comparison site. Just go with the cheapest.

Worst case if they go bust, you're not going to go without utilities, another provider would take over the accounts.

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm with first utility, but you want to get your usage details and plug them in to a comparison site. Just go with the cheapest.

Worst case if they go bust, you're not going to go without utilities, another provider would take over the accounts.

I know what you mean but my concern is dealing with cowboys once you want to leave or transfer they can make a right mess of it. Also when you try ring them you can never speak to anyone and that's a big issue for me. I might do Scottish power as still save £99 compared to EON 

I'm with First Utility.

Literally my only irritations are them sending me 4 leaflets in a fortnight suggesting I have a smart meter, and my constantly forgetting to do the meter reading.

Otherwise, they're fine.

I have just left First Utility after my fixed term ended, as Davkaus says get your usage data and tariff, plug it into comparison sites, and see what you could save.

I have moved to Bristol Energy, all online.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I know what you mean but my concern is dealing with cowboys once you want to leave or transfer they can make a right mess of it. Also when you try ring them you can never speak to anyone and that's a big issue for me. I might do Scottish power as still save £99 compared to EON 

Don't know if it's a general thing is just my personal experience, but I've had nothing but trouble with Scottish Power both at home and work.

21 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Who was I fooling thinking I'd get sympathy off you lot.

Schoolboy error there mate

I'm surprised it hasn't already been diagnosed as bum AIDS

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

What gas and electricity company are you all with?

Go Ovo Dem.

You'll save a stack and the basic package has a fair chunk of renewable in the mix.

There's greener options and they don't sting key meters with higher tariffs.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Xann said:

Go Ovo Dem.

You'll save a stack and the basic package has a fair chunk of renewable in the mix.

There's greener options and they don't sting key meters with higher tariffs.

That's interesting xann how long you been with them? Not heard of this before 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That's interesting xann how long you been with them? Not heard of this before 

Er, 18 months? We had a fixed one with the Co-Op before, that lasted a while.

Everyone should do it, the big boys are shite. Quite an easy way to teach them a lesson and you save money.

I was with Scottish power. They were cheaper but they were arseholes with the payments. They started off charging me really low, suspiciously low.

Despite me questioning it they kept on charging me low. 

I provided meter readings (that annoys me for a start. Take your own **** readings) and still they charged me the same amount.

Then when I left because I was moving house they said "oh, we were charging you too little, you owe us £290".

I tried to fight it initially but ended up not being bothered to follow it through and just paid it.

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I was with Scottish power. They were cheaper but they were arseholes with the payments. They started off charging me really low, suspiciously low.

Despite me questioning it they kept on charging me low. 

I provided meter readings (that annoys me for a start. Take your own **** readings) and still they charged me the same amount.

Then when I left because I was moving house they said "oh, we were charging you too little, you owe us £290".

I tried to fight it initially but ended up not being bothered to follow it through and just paid it.

Mate said something similar screw them not gonna bother. Ovo looks interesting alternative 

45 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ovo looks interesting alternative

I've been with them twice. They were good in terms of customer service, so if the price is competitive I'd recommend them, Dem.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I've been with them twice. They were good in terms of customer service, so if the price is competitive I'd recommend them, Dem.

Thanks Pete. How cones you left? Price increases really high?

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thanks Pete. How cones you left? Price increases really high?

I tend to do those comparison site things reasonably regularly, and the first time I moved from Ovo to the co-op energy a few years back, but they were not great on customer service, so when I left them I went back to OVO for a year or so. I then left Ovo about 6 months ago when the deal ran out and I found I could get it cheaper with Sainsbury's energy. There was enough of a difference to make it worth the effort, - it's a pretty simple process. 

• Like 1

Without a doubt. Utilities, telecomes, mortgages and insurance...If you're not running your details through a price comparison site and switching every time your fixed term expires, you're throwing money away.

Somehow there are still millions of people on variable tariffs. They probably help subsidise my deal, so maybe I shouldn't moan.

• Like 2

Â