General Chat

Stevo985

nah .. Grim is the North of England .... Dubai isjust sterile

The Surfdom / borderline slavery you mention is rife in a lot of the world not just sole preserve of the Arabs

The thing that surprised me is the way the expats also got in on the racist attitudes. Giving crap to the cab drivers or the waiters that brought the drinks etc. It seems like it is very easy to slip into that mindset when the whole society is ordered in that way.

agreed  it's quite appalling and very deliberate  

I always recall the episode in the Mall of the Emirates I witnessed at McDonalds

Arab man - 1 quarter pounder with cheese and chips please

Indian Guy - ok but Sir ,  it's cheaper if you order it as a meal deal would you like that

AM - Ok I'll have the meal with a bottle of water

IG - I'm sorry sir but you can't have bottle water it has to be a soft drink

AM - but i don't want a soft drink i want water   ..followed by lots of demanding and general disregard for the 20 people waiting in the queue behind him

IG checks with his boss  ..Ok sir you can have it with a bottle of water  ..no word of Thanks from arab man

Transaction takes place , order comes

AM - actually I've decided I don't want the water I want a Diet coke

I swear it was all about showing how superior he was to the Indian guy working in McDonalds ...

Don't get me wrong I'm not anti arab , I just do find their behaviour is appalling sometimes .. to be fair though I saw it a  lot in India as well ( probably a Caste thing ) ... mind you I've met people like this in England as well so I'm not gonna just say it's a certain nationality

The Surfdom / borderline slavery you mention is rife in a lot of the world not just sole preserve of the Arabs

The thing that surprised me is the way the expats also got in on the racist attitudes. Giving crap to the cab drivers or the waiters that brought the drinks etc. It seems like it is very easy to slip into that mindset when the whole society is ordered in that way.

I always recall the episode in the Mall of the Emirates I witnessed at McDonalds

Indian Guy - ok but Sir ,  it's cheaper if you order it as a meal deal would you like that

AM - but i don't want a soft drink i want water   ..followed by lots of demanding and general disregard for the 20 people waiting in the queue behind him

IG checks with his boss  ..Ok sir you can have it with a bottle of water  ..no word of Thanks from arab man

I swear it was all about showing how superior he was to the Indian guy working in McDonalds ...

Don't get me wrong I'm not anti arab , I just do find their behaviour is appalling sometimes .. to be fair though I saw it a  lot in India as well ( probably a Caste thing ) ... mind you I've met people like this in England as well so I'm not gonna just say it's a certain nationality

My sister used to be married to a guy from the Caribbean. He was the nicest guy you could ever wish to meet, but when it came to restaurants and customer service, he had an entirely different attitude to what I was used to. He became very authoritative, with a lack of what we would consider to be good manners. When I questioned him on it, he simply said that the people were there to serve him in their capacity as waitor/waitress, and that there was no need to add a please or a thankyou because they're not doing you any favours.

Just a different way of looking at things I suppose.

Edited by Shillzz

didn't they drive a truly shit car?

like some sort of unreliable penis extension?

How wrong you are. They drove the car that was every boys dream at the time (unless you were a Fall Guy fan), the excellent Ford Capri.

not wrong, just cheap trolling

there was a definite evolution of the lad in my little gang

we all walked and had equally pitiful success with the ladies

then a few got scooters, and with scooters came the first girlfriends

then I got a Morris Marina and I was top of the pile

then two of my mates got Capris, and the transformation was just ridiculous

all of a sudden they had the pick of the girls

One had a bright red Capri with flared wheelarches (which we eventually managed to shave off mis judging an entrance to a posh house). One had a wonderful hand painted black Capri that was gang HQ for a while. By hand painted, I mean we had a pot of black gloss and some paint brushes, parked it up a lane where it was quiet and painted it.

You were top of the tree with a Capri.

So I just watched PETA's video of angora wool being ripped from live rabbits (H&M have stopped stocking angora as a result). I'll be honest. I've had more pleasant experiences.

So I just watched PETA's video of angora wool being ripped from live rabbits (H&M have stopped stocking angora as a result). I'll be honest. I've had more pleasant experiences.

You sure you weren't watching Watership Down?

My sister used to be married to a guy from the Caribbean. He was the nicest guy you could ever wish to meet, but when it came to restaurants and customer service, he had an entirely different attitude to what I was used to. He became very authoritative, with a lack of what we would consider to be good manners. When I questioned him on it, he simply said that the people were there to serve him in their capacity as waitor/waitress, and that there was no need to add a please or a thankyou because they're not doing you any favours.

Just a different way of looking at things I suppose.

It's a very good attitude to have, if you like the taste of other people's bodily fluids.

didn't they drive a truly shit car?

like some sort of unreliable penis extension?

How wrong you are. They drove the car that was every boys dream at the time (unless you were a Fall Guy fan), the excellent Ford Capri.

not wrong, just cheap trolling

Oh dear :P

I've come to the conclusion that the inevitable war between China and Japan will doom us all.

I'm in a gloomy mood today.

No one seems to care about this? It was like the 5th item on the news last night.

Â