General Chat

Stevo985

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m winging this answer without research.

I would imagine they just ask them, if they say yes then the government takes their word for it and sticks them back of house to dick about with all the tablets and potions.

Alternatively, it could be that pharmacists and pharmacy technicians have a certain level of education that allows them to indicate they are trained and valuable individuals. This claim can be tested with certification and tests including language skills and pharmaceuticals knowledge (??) and they get a level of training to bring them up or down to an acceptable standard and get placements where they are monitored.

We do already, remember, allow economic migration. It’s just got to be a job that’s already on the list, and you’ve got to stay in Myanmar whilst you start the application process so the government can approach the Myanmar authorities and ask for a reference. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Could be true of any pharmacist couldn't it? The employer still has a duty to ensure the person they've employed Is qualified and competent to do the job if they're British born, from New Zealand etc or a refugee. 

The point I was trying to make, without being too straightforward, was that there’s a strong whiff of playing politics behind the Welsh Government’s question. The reality will be that it’s more complex than “any pharmacists? Right, great, come with me and crack on with it”. I mean why pick chemists, why not engineers or nurses or teachers or grocers? Why only that single occupation?  As with any/ all of the above there would need to be checks and so on. The system is already incapable of doing checks to see if they’re genuine fugees or not. Adding in more checks of credentials would take even longer. Then you’d get “ticks both boxes”, “ticks the chemist box, but not the fugee box” and ticks neither. The massivest problem is how long it all takes already. It’s an utter disgrace, but quite deliberate.

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

The point I was trying to make, without being too straightforward, was that there’s a strong whiff of playing politics behind the Welsh Government’s question. The reality will be that it’s more complex than “any pharmacists? Right, great, come with me and crack on with it”. I mean why pick chemists, why not engineers or nurses or teachers or grocers? Why only that single occupation?  As with any/ all of the above there would need to be checks and so on. The system is already incapable of doing checks to see if they’re genuine fugees or not. Adding in more checks of credentials would take even longer. Then you’d get “ticks both boxes”, “ticks the chemist box, but not the fugee box” and ticks neither. The massivest problem is how long it all takes already. It’s an utter disgrace, but quite deliberate.

Playing politics is Westminster reducing budgets they hand out then moaning waiting lists and performance are getting worse.

It’s a legitimate request. It just shouldn’t need to be a request but lots of us are suffering with Stockholm syndrome.

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Playing politics is Westminster reducing budgets they hand out then moaning waiting lists and performance are getting worse.

It’s a legitimate request. It just shouldn’t need to be a request but lots of us are suffering with Stockholm syndrome.

There’s a shortage of pharmacists, so it makes sense (to normal folk) if you can fill that shortage with people currently qualified and stuck in the asylum system.  The same applies to loads of other professions. I’m curious why (going on what you posted) Wales’ government picked out this one profession. Have they been getting flak about not ‘nuff chemists in Swansea or something?

A lot of people would be inclined to allow asylum seekers to fill useful roles in society while they wait to find out if they have been accepted. Not the Home Office, though, because (I assume) they deliberately want to discourage people from seeking asylum in the UK.

4 hours ago, Genie said:

FFS. As each day goes by I get more and more disgusted with our government and more embarrassed to be British.

How are the thousands of migrants we sent to Rwanda getting on? Oh, like we all predicted, it will never happen! Another hair brained scheme from Wile E Coyote and his band of chancers. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

There’s a shortage of pharmacists, so it makes sense (to normal folk) if you can fill that shortage with people currently qualified and stuck in the asylum system.  The same applies to loads of other professions. I’m curious why (going on what you posted) Wales’ government picked out this one profession. Have they been getting flak about not ‘nuff chemists in Swansea or something?

A lot of people would be inclined to allow asylum seekers to fill useful roles in society while they wait to find out if they have been accepted. Not the Home Office, though, because (I assume) they deliberately want to discourage people from seeking asylum in the UK.

I think ‘Pharmacists’ is just this week’s word that has caught the attention via the Pharmaceutical Journal, but it isn’t a new thing, it’s just another thing.

Support for refugee doctors via WARD

Health Education and Improvement Wales (HEIW), have for many years worked on behalf of refugee doctors and dentists, who have fled persecution in their own countries to seek asylum in the UK, and who now wish to rebuild their careers here.

NHS Wales

I would suspect / expect / hope the same sort of requests are going to Westminster from other places also, but I don’t know, I see less news from Bedfordshire or Belfast.

It’s Pharmacists this week as its been highlighted that 2,000 chemist days were lost last year as they had to close due to lack of cover, with pharmacists sat in hotels, unable to contribute and thus being blamed for being a drain on resources.

From that official NHS page you can see the same applies for doctors and dentists and I don’t doubt a dozen other specialities.

48 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

He posts on here doesn't he?

Worrying thing is, tonight could be mum’s bingo night.

He’ll be here throwing shit around by 9:00pm, drunk on little tots from every bottle in the cabinet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

From that official NHS page you can see the same applies for doctors and dentists and I don’t doubt a dozen other specialities.

That makes more sense - NHS bods suggesting/proposing, rather than some Gov't bod requesting pharmacists uniquely.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

That makes more sense - NHS bods suggesting/proposing, rather than some Gov't bod requesting pharmacists uniquely.

Chain of command. NHS Wales wouldn’t get to talk to someone as important as a tory MP directly.

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

This is so sad to read. I left towards the end of the 99’s. I know it was something of a fallacy but “Cool Brittania” had happened, New Labor, and there was a general optimism in the UK (or so it seemed to me in my early 20’s.)

I was whatsaaping with my best friend the other day and his son has just turned 18. He just can’t wait to leave the UK and has gone to Africa for 6 months. He doesn’t know where he’ll end up but he’s determined to not go back. Really bright kid who would be a real asset to the country.

I always say, half jokingly, that Western society peaked in the year 2000 and went downhill after that. 9/11 changed the landscape in the West. Obviously, you'll be acutely aware of the issues in the US. The UK is a bit of a mess and other countries like France and Spain aren't without problems. 

I'm not sure whats going on really, the world seems a nastier and more **** up place than it used to be. In hindsight, I should have moved abroad in my 20s, maybe Japan! 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

I always say, half jokingly, that Western society peaked in the year 2000 and went downhill after that. 9/11 changed the landscape in the West. Obviously, you'll be acutely aware of the issues in the US. The UK is a bit of a mess and other countries like France and Spain aren't without problems. 

I'm not sure whats going on really, the world seems a nastier and more **** up place than it used to be. In hindsight, I should have moved abroad in my 20s, maybe Japan! 

Do you watch abroad in Japan on YouTube? Would be mad but brilliant

And yeah you all should move abroad

5 hours ago, blandy said:

Of course you are correct, but fail safe ?  The refugee gave me the wrong prescription and now I’m dead might be a concern for politicians 

Oh, I think they would love that scenario. Plays right to their demographic. Just imagine the Mail, Express, etc. They'd be jizzing themselves. 

Their 'burning the Reichstag' moment. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Social media. So much manipulation, so much disinformation, so many keyboard warriors and bullies hiding behind anonymity. So many rabbit holes. I think a lot of the world's ills can be traced to this. Probably taken over from religion as the chief driver of hate, bile and bigotry. 

• Like 3

Remember TBAR the alternative Villa Forum with all the enlightened free thinkers. 

It's still there on the Internet but seems to be dead, like a museum forum. 

I guess this happens when there aren't enough posters to make a forum viable. But how does it keep on the net? Is there no fee that needs to be paid for it to be hosted? 

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Remember TBAR the alternative Villa Forum with all the enlightened free thinkers. 

It's still there on the Internet but seems to be dead, like a museum forum. 

I guess this happens when there aren't enough posters to make a forum viable. But how does it keep on the net? Is there no fee that needs to be paid for it to be hosted? 

No answer to this could be considered "general chat" :mrgreen:

On 11/08/2023 at 14:25, bannedfromHandV said:

During Covid, the government knocked up a number of ‘nightingale hospitals’ in no time at all, now given that they were to be used as hospitals, I’m assuming they were clean and safe spaces.

Why can’t they just do something similar here? If you’re a refugee and been living in those nightmare camps in France (assumed) surely even a big warehouse, provided it’s warm, safe and clean would be an improvement surely? Make them processing centres and invest in staff and processes/procedures to quickly assess whether or not each person stays in the country or not. I don’t understand why they’re making it so difficult (and continuing to create their own bad news stories) 

That would be seen to be far too welcoming to refugees/immigrants.

Half the words removed who vote for the current government would rather see immigrants fired into the sun than given a safe place to sleep

• Like 1

I just learned that Heathrow is in the new ULEZ. That’s a pisser for me as I’m going on holiday from Heathrow for 10 days in October. My 2.0L Ford Kuga is not compliant 😣

We have booked a local holiday inn for the night before and we’ll leave the car there, then collect it 10 days later… do I have to pay for the 10 days it’s sat not moving in the hotel car park?

Edit: actually car isn’t staying at the Holiday Inn, we drive to the airport in it and then hand it over to be parked. 

Edited by Genie

33 minutes ago, Genie said:

I just learned that Heathrow is in the new ULEZ. That’s a pisser for me as I’m going on holiday from Heathrow for 10 days in October. My 2.0L Ford Kuga is not compliant 😣

We have booked a local holiday inn for the night before and we’ll leave the car there, then collect it 10 days later… do I have to pay for the 10 days it’s sat not moving in the hotel car park?

Edit: actually car isn’t staying at the Holiday Inn, we drive to the airport in it and then hand it over to be parked. 

You are liable on the days you cross the threshold rather than the days it is within the zone. Presuming of course that whoever you’ve paid to leave it with, doesn’t drive it while you’re away. 

Edited by choffer
Typoze

Â