General Chat

Stevo985

The only non independent shops on my high street are, well, is the CoOp.

All sorts of other stuff; 'experiences' eg nails,  barbers etc, estate agents, antiques/vintage bollocks, convenience stores, restaurants/bars/cafes and a 'posh' butcher and draper.

It's a good mix tbh.

Unfortunately, because it's a nice high street, there is more demand for retail units and commercial property owners utterly take the piss.

If you want to find the root of gentrification, that's it, right there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The point is if the high street really did get people out of the house then there wouldn't be a problem. They're dying because nobody uses them

Is that because we are becoming lazier though When you have everything on a click on your smart phone?

Peoples habits have changed definitely i think

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Is that because we are becoming lazier though When you have everything on a click on your smart phone?

I think it’s a lot i to do with supermarkets and Amazon having more things at better prices in 1 place. Cost and convenience, the high street can’t compete.

I used to buy loads of stuff from Argos but haven’t used them for years. I’m surprised they have survived this long tbh.

Anyone remember how slow this got when more than a couple of things were moving?

Knight-Lore-ultimate-Play-The-Game-Ashby-Computers-and-Graphics-1984-ZX-Spectrum-Xtreme-Retro-7.png.3954f83af386d359d004f32d14816de0.png

Is the machine running this likely to be extraordinary? Or is this where nice new games machines that don't require plumbing are at?

Just curious, not building one or I'd take this elsewhere?

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That's not laziness, it's convenience.

Why would I walk down to the highstreet to buy something when I can find it, order it and pay for it in 5 minutes and have it the next day?

People are rarely going to deliberately go to a shop just to not be lazy. You might do it to support local business or other reasons, but not enough people are doing that to support the highstreets.

It's not like everyone desperately needs to go to the highstreet but they can't be arsed to get out of bed :D 

Was just watching my daughters flight come into Birmingham on Flightradar24 when I suddenly realised that from my office block I could actually watch it come in for real. 🧏

Went into a meeting room at the side of the building and watched it come in from over Walsall across the skyline till it got too low to see near the airport. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Xann said:

Is the machine running this likely to be extraordinary? Or is this where nice new games machines that don't require plumbing are at? 

What the bebuggering hell is this? 'Mordor' suggests LotR, but it looks like a bunch of Star Wars troopers in there. And the tanks are WWII Shermans. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Xann said:

Anyone remember how slow this got when more than a couple of things were moving?

Knight-Lore-ultimate-Play-The-Game-Ashby-Computers-and-Graphics-1984-ZX-Spectrum-Xtreme-Retro-7.png.3954f83af386d359d004f32d14816de0.png

Just curious, not building one or I'd take this elsewhere?

It's going to be running a fairly high end processor, a lot of RAM, and a decent graphics card (at the point you're chucking a chunky CPU in it you might as well commit to a huge GPU, if you can get one and have the kidney to spare). UEBS2 is mostly CPU intense, and that's largely from the sheer number of things on screen.

You'd probably be surprised what a 'decent' powerful PC could do with it though. It's not the most complex game, and the power is basically just dictating the scale of things - how many troops, how much variety in unit types, how much those units have 'effects' when in action, etc etc.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

What the bebuggering hell is this? 'Mordor' suggests LotR, but it looks like a bunch of Star Wars troopers in there. And the tanks are WWII Shermans. 

A game called Ultimate Epic Battle Simulator 2, with some mods chucked on to add in some copyrighted skins for units.

It started out as a pretty silly 'toy' but of software to let you 'simulate' battles between historical types of armies, where you'd basically dial in what you wanted (1000 hoplites v 1000 centurions, 100 GIs v 10000 Vikings, 1 tank v 1000 Zulu warriors etc) and hit Go and watch. Then it just kept getting dafter with things like definitelynotJohnWick getting added, zombies, generic sci fi/fantasy armies, etc. Which then got modders interested in making it more authentically on brand for various IPs - hence Mordor v Star Wars Empire troops. I believe they've also added in things like 'hero' troops as well, so Mordor might have a million orcs but also Sauron and Morgoth as super troops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think John Wick is in the middle somewhere?

It's mad. The aerial view of thousands of Jedi piling out the gate into a horde of millions with their little lightsabres has so much going on.

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

... UEBS2 is mostly CPU intense, and that's largely from the sheer number of things on screen.

When they're pressed so close together you see the patterns in the maths.

There's some neat crowd dynamics when there's more space.

When the Jedi line is breached and the attackers wheel to flank and surround the defenders.

There's a scene in another vid that has a distant shot of a mob streaming across an irregular snowy mountain, people taking different routes.

It would have been cutscene standard a few years ago, now it's generated live on the fly.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Why would I walk down to the highstreet to buy something when I can find it, order it and pay for it in 5 minutes and have it the next day?

People are rarely going to deliberately go to a shop just to not be lazy. You might do it to support local business or other reasons, but not enough people are doing that to support the highstreets.

It's not like everyone desperately needs to go to the highstreet but they can't be arsed to get out of bed :D 

It’s not laziness, as you’ve described, but I suspect we’re becoming a lot lazier because of modern convenience such as Amazon. 

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

It’s not laziness, as you’ve described, but I suspect we’re becoming a lot lazier because of modern convenience such as Amazon. 

Yeah I'd agree with that. It's just the cause and effect is the wrong way round in Dem's post. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Convenience  laziness same thing 😁

Only reason id go online is if i find things cheaper and i really cant be asked to go out.

Its same as the food apps its more expensive than going to the fast food shop but we all do it.

I do agree about your point about the support your local businesses though.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I think it’s a lot i to do with supermarkets and Amazon having more things at better prices in 1 place. Cost and convenience, the high street can’t compete.

I used to buy loads of stuff from Argos but haven’t used them for years. I’m surprised they have survived this long tbh.

Yeah im suprised argos has survived as well tbh.  I hate going in there now. Their format is dated a s lame now i think in store

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Convenience  laziness same thing 😁

Only reason id go online is if i find things cheaper and i really cant be asked to go out.

Its same as the food apps its more expensive than going to the fast food shop but we all do it.

I do agree about your point about the support your local businesses though.

Yeah im suprised argos has survived as well tbh.  I hate going in there now. Their format is dated a s lame now i think in store

Format is dated?? They ain't still got the catalogues you know. You order online for fast delivery, sameday for some things, or you go to your local store or Sainsburys and order from a tablet, chip and pin it and collect it from the counter, in real time, hardly Littlewoods warehouse!

I just use Amazon for bargain stuff, like just bought some outdoor lights on there. Anything real, like a vacuum, hairdryer, i'd always use Argos.

• Like 1

Good high streets/town centres still thrive. Lichfield is always busy and bustling. Perhaps to the detriment of Tamworth and Sutton? 

Ventura Park also killed Tamworth centre off... as a retail park, its got everything you'd need. I'd rather poke my eyes out than go at the weekend there, as its pure hell, but on a weekday during term time, its ok. I can remember back to when it was just the Sainsburys. Must have been late 80s?

42 minutes ago, Xela said:

Good high streets/town centres still thrive. Lichfield is always busy and bustling. Perhaps to the detriment of Tamworth and Sutton? 

Ventura Park also killed Tamworth centre off... as a retail park, its got everything you'd need. I'd rather poke my eyes out than go at the weekend there, as its pure hell, but on a weekday during term time, its ok. I can remember back to when it was just the Sainsburys. Must have been late 80s?

I’d replace “good high streets/town centres” with “high streets/town centres in wealthy areas”. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Format is dated?? They ain't still got the catalogues you know. You order online for fast delivery, sameday for some things, or you go to your local store or Sainsburys and order from a tablet, chip and pin it and collect it from the counter, in real time, hardly Littlewoods warehouse!

I just use Amazon for bargain stuff, like just bought some outdoor lights on there. Anything real, like a vacuum, hairdryer, i'd always use Argos.

Agreed, I posted similar recently. I'd never have believed it ten years ago, but Argos is much better than Amazon. For one, you'll get what you pay for. It's a curated shop with genuine products, supplied by real manufacturers.

Amazon is a scammer's paradise because it's cheaper to refund people that complain than bother to do anything about the absolute deluge of fake products. They're happy to take their cut from counterfeiters and other fraudsters.

How's Prime day going? Few loss leaders, a shed load of old stock they couldn't clear out, some of which may be genuine, then hundreds of pages of wonderful, well-reviewed products from such leading brands as WEDHDI and QNMSIQPDLOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Agreed, I posted similar recently. I'd never have believed it ten years ago, but Argos is much better than Amazon.

Not sure about 'better' overall, but if you've got an Argos branch nearby (which I do), there are times when it comes into its own. Sure, I can get a purchase from Amazon the next day - or, very occasionally, the same evening. But I can buy online from Argos, and pick it up in ten minutes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Agreed, I posted similar recently. I'd never have believed it ten years ago, but Argos is much better than Amazon. For one, you'll get what you pay for. It's a curated shop with genuine products, supplied by real manufacturers.

Amazon is a scammer's paradise because it's cheaper to refund people that complain than bother to do anything about the absolute deluge of fake products. They're happy to take their cut from counterfeiters and other fraudsters.

How's Prime day going? Few loss leaders, a shed load of old stock they couldn't clear out, some of which may be genuine, then hundreds of pages of wonderful, well-reviewed products from such leading brands as WEDHDI and QNMSIQPDLOL

I'm finding myself buying less and less from Amazon. I try to make it my shop of last resort but sometimes it is the only option or just to damn convenient. 

I'll never buy any electronics from Amazon again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

Was just watching my daughters flight come into Birmingham on Flightradar24 when I suddenly realised that from my office block I could actually watch it come in for real. 🧏

Went into a meeting room at the side of the building and watched it come in from over Walsall across the skyline till it got too low to see near the airport. 

Your daughter  is Pau Torres? This is news!

• Haha 1

Â