General Chat

Stevo985

Has anyone ever taken one of these hay fever jabs before? I get it quite bad but this year its been horrendous. My nose is stuffed up, cant stop sneezing and eyes irritated. I tried Prevalin nose spray that just makes me sneeze even more and fills my nose up with white slime. The tablets are hit and miss as well. i dont like relying on jabs every year (thats why I avoid them) to be honest but I am considering this, 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Has anyone ever taken one of these hay fever jabs before? I get it quite bad but this year its been horrendous. My nose is stuffed up, cant stop sneezing and eyes irritated. I tried Prevalin nose spray that just makes me sneeze even more and fills my nose up with white slime. The tablets are hit and miss as well. i dont like relying on jabs every year (thats why I avoid them) to be honest but I am considering this, 

Yeah, I had a steroid jab back in the days when my hay fever was truly vicious. It worked a treat. Second year I had it, it seemed less effective. And at that point they started selling the steroid nasal sprays (Beconase and its generic equivalents) over the counter. I still use those every summer, and they seem to do the trick (although i think my HF has eased off a lot anyway). 

Non-steroidal treatments (sprays, antihistamine tablets, etc.) have never been of any help at all to me. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, I had a steroid jab back in the days when my hay fever was truly vicious. It worked a treat. Second year I had it, it seemed less effective. And at that point they started selling the steroid nasal sprays (Beconase and its generic equivalents) over the counter. I still use those every summer, and they seem to do the trick (although i think my HF has eased off a lot anyway). 

Non-steroidal treatments (sprays, antihistamine tablets, etc.) have never been of any help at all to me. 

Yeah im finding that they are of no good to me either. Its really bad here. It seems ti get worse evey year for me. I wonder if this jab helped your body as you dont seem ti suffer now 

I might re try beconase as i used it last year ans it was decent. That prevalin apprently has steroids in it bit it has to be the worst thing ive taken. It just gives me  huge sneezefest

When I first started using Beconase, my HF was at its worst, but I found that using it twice a day during the season helped a lot. This was well over 20 years ago. These days, I just use it as and when I need it. I still get 2 or 3 bad days a year when even that doesn't help, but by and large it's no longer a big problem. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mjmooney said:

When I first started using Beconase, my HF was at its worst, but I found that using it twice a day during the season helped a lot. This was well over 20 years ago. These days, I just use it as and when I need it. I still get 2 or 3 bad days a year when even that doesn't help, but by and large it's no longer a big problem. 

It gave me massive weight gain.  I don't know if I was using it wrong, or too much.  It didn't help me at all and I had to give it up in the end.

baconnaise.jpg

• Like 3

Halfway through my haircut today the barber suddenly stopped and asked his colleague for a tissue, which he then handed to me and said "there you go".

He then paused for a moment, obviously waiting for me to do something with it. I didn't know what though, so I just graciously took it and held it awkwardly, like I was accepting a gift from his people.

I still don't know if he'd spotted a big bogey or maybe he'd cut me and I hadn't felt it. Or maybe he thought I was crying, I don't know.

• Like 1

Esch and Lefkow have stated that they started with just mayonnaise and bacon and worked with chefs to determine how to have mayonnaise that tastes like bacon without having bacon as an ingredient. Lefkow stated that developing and refining the taste of Baconnaise resulted in him having "nothing but bacon and mayonnaise for breakfast for the next six months."[10] Lefkow refined the taste of Baconnaise by comparing real bacon to the developing product.[10]

Baconnaise contains no bacon, artificial flavors, or MSG, but the actual process and ingredients in the product are a trade secret.[1] A complete list of the ingredients includes: soybean oil, water, egg yolk, gluconic acid, yeast extract, stabilizer (microcrystalline cellulose, modified food starch, xanthan gum, guar gum, gum arabic), cultured dextrose, salt, sugar, dehydrated garlic, paprika, dehydrated onion, spice, natural smoke flavor, natural flavors, tocopherols, calcium disodium EDTA, and autolyzed yeast extract.[11]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baconnaise

Christ. :blink:

11 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Halfway through my haircut today the barber suddenly stopped and asked his colleague for a tissue, which he then handed to me and said "there you go".

He then paused for a moment, obviously waiting for me to do something with it. I didn't know what though, so I just graciously took it and held it awkwardly, like I was accepting a gift from his people.

I still don't know if he'd spotted a big bogey or maybe he'd cut me and I hadn't felt it. Or maybe he thought I was crying, I don't know.

6cuKcHo.jpg

Dt0L0C.gif

• Like 3

On 2017-6-12 at 18:13, mjmooney said:

Im back on beconase and my hay fever is a lot better than that other crappy spray that is suppose to work 5× faster. That is a complete lie they should get done for false advertisement.

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

that other crappy spray that is suppose to work 5× faster. That is a complete lie they should get done for false advertisement.

If it's available over the counter in a pharmacy then it probably doesn't work.  I'd like to take Voltarol Emugel to court as modern day snake oil.  Even its ad says it works 3 times better than non-medicated gels.  Which you would assume don't work at all, so 3 times zero is ...

Smells nice though.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Im back on beconase and my hay fever is a lot better than that other crappy spray that is suppose to work 5× faster. That is a complete lie they should get done for false advertisement.

Check the ingredients and the prices. I've used Boots' generic version - exactly the same stuff, and cheaper. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Check the ingredients and the prices. I've used Boots' generic version - exactly the same stuff, and cheaper. 

I normally go to Savers, when I start getting the sniffles in April, and buy it in bulk. They knock it out for about £3 a time, where as I've seen it on sale for up to £5.50 in the supermarket.

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 2

Supermarket own brand hayfever tablets are the best I've used and I suffer quite bad. I take two in the morning and I'm fine all day. I also get cold hives from the wind on exposed areas and use supermarket bite cream for that. In both situations, big brand stuff like anthisan cream and piritese etc... are all noticeably slower to act and not as effective.

The nasal sprays are just utter crap and you end up swallowing half of it as it drips down the back of your throat. Nonsense stuff. 

4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Supermarket own brand hayfever tablets are the best I've used and I suffer quite bad. I take two in the morning and I'm fine all day. I also get cold hives from the wind on exposed areas and use supermarket bite cream for that. In both situations, big brand stuff like anthisan cream and piritese etc... are all noticeably slower to act and not as effective.

The nasal sprays are just utter crap and you end up swallowing half of it as it drips down the back of your throat. Nonsense stuff. 

I think it depends on what pollen is affecting you. Beconase spray is the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me. I've tried all the tablets going, and none of them have ever had the slightest effect - except side effects (I once OD'd on the 'drowsy ' type - didn't touch the HF, but I passed out for about four hours). 

• Like 1

Dont waste your money on hay fever tablets/sprays/drops/local honey/magic spells... 

Last year I had the Kenalog hay fever injection last year for the first time (and again a couple of weeks ago) and it's the best thing I've ever done.

It was via a private doctor and cost £55 but how much do all the tablets etc cost over a season?

Its a steroid injection in your bum and the effect is instant.

I get it really bad, or used to do so but not any more. Just the odd sneeze, I'd say it's 95% reduced.

Its the same stuff as the steroid tablets but it's injected into a muscle so straight into blood flow which means it's not going via organs so it's a lower dose.

Some people can have some side effects and if you do them unlike tablets you are committed.

But honestly it's been increadible for me, I wish I'd found it years ago.

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I think it depends on what pollen is affecting you. Beconase spray is the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me. I've tried all the tablets going, and none of them have ever had the slightest effect - except side effects (I once OD'd on the 'drowsy ' type - didn't touch the HF, but I passed out for about four hours). 

Yeah that is definitely true, I should have posted from my personal perspective instead I suppose. Oh and yes, I exclusively take non drowsy after having been caught out a few times, once at work sparked out on a sofa in the day area of our rehab unit. Luckily my manager has HF worse than me so she was pissing herself laughing otherwise I'd have been in trouble :D

Â