General Chat

Stevo985

25 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I have decided to quit my job with no other employment prospects on the horizon. You only get one life and I'm sick of mine.

All I have done in my life is live to work. 

It stops here... 

Has the decision anything to do with your frustration with your relationship, you posted about the other day?

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Dont waste your money on hay fever tablets/sprays/drops/local honey/magic spells... 

Last year I had the Kenalog hay fever injection last year for the first time (and again a couple of weeks ago) and it's the best thing I've ever done.

It was via a private doctor and cost £55 but how much do all the tablets etc cost over a season?

Its a steroid injection in your bum and the effect is instant.

I get it really bad, or used to do so but not any more. Just the odd sneeze, I'd say it's 95% reduced.

Its the same stuff as the steroid tablets but it's injected into a muscle so straight into blood flow which means it's not going via organs so it's a lower dose.

Some people can have some side effects and if you do them unlike tablets you are committed.

But honestly it's been increadible for me, I wish I'd found it years ago.

TL:DR version

Trent got a Doctor to DHUTWU

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Has the decision anything to do with your frustration with your relationship, you posted about the other day?

Well indirectly, my job sucks the life out of me. Now rest assured my Mrs is a handful in a good mood she'll admit but I am an unhappy, tired, and sore aging man. I know a lot of people are but I've had some circumstances this year that make me see life differently. 

Why do I give everything to my job and the people I love get so little of me.

You only get one life. There are no do overs. 

On 6/13/2017 at 16:39, chrisp65 said:

6cuKcHo.jpg

Is that real?

That annoys me more than it should 

Give your phone a rest for 30 mins, you aren't that important!

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I have decided to quit my job with no other employment prospects on the horizon. You only get one life and I'm sick of mine.

All I have done in my life is live to work. 

It stops here... 

Brave man! Well done. I always think I should at least take a 'career break' but never do. 

22 minutes ago, Xela said:

Brave man! Well done. I always think I should at least take a 'career break' but never do. 

Thanks mate, hopefully brave..... Quite possibly stupid. I guess we will find out in a few months when all my savings are gone. Think I'm going to try and start a business from scratch. If I become a global sensation. VTers will have first dibs on my international board. 

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Well indirectly, my job sucks the life out of me. Now rest assured my Mrs is a handful in a good mood she'll admit but I am an unhappy, tired, and sore aging man. I know a lot of people are but I've had some circumstances this year that make me see life differently. 

Why do I give everything to my job and the people I love get so little of me.

You only get one life. There are no do overs. 

Deciding which serves the family best, maximising income or spending time at home is one the terrible dilemmas which modern parents face.

It is a very difficult call to make. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Is that real?

That annoys me more than it should 

Give your phone a rest for 30 mins, you aren't that important!

sadly it is, generic ones are £5.99 on Amazon, branded a little pricier

30 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Deciding which serves the family best, maximising income or spending time at home is one the terrible dilemmas which modern parents face.

It is a very difficult call to make. 

What gets me, is the way this world works is they make it hard to do both. 

4 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

What gets me, is the way this world works is they make it hard to do both. 

That is why modern life has become so difficult and some people get nostalgic about the past when there were clearly defined familial roles.

In the old days options might have been few but at least people knew what their priorities were.

I am always suspicious of the fact that changing roles and increasing demands made on folk just happen to mainly benefit businesses and government.

My wife was with Talk Mobile and called them to talk new deals, they offered a really good sim only deal but she would be transferred over to Vodafone (TM parent company). Ok she says.

VF sent 2 sims for some reason and no instructions of what do do next. She's been on the phone to VF now for about 30 minutes and they are completely incompetent. She's being passed from person to person. She's still none the wiser what to do, they keep asking her for her temporary which she never was given.

I've never been with VF but their reputation is dreadful and I'm beginning to understand why.

24 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

That is why modern life has become so difficult and some people get nostalgic about the past when there were clearly defined familial roles.

In the old days options might have been few but at least people knew what their priorities were.

I am always suspicious of the fact that changing roles and increasing demands made on folk just happen to mainly benefit businesses and government.

Exactly, in my job my bosses are pretty decent but conditions are always changing. I have to adapt with them.

I'm in the middle management which means I still have to work my ass but if anything goes wrong it is my fault. Not to mention the percentage of fellow workers who just don't care.

Anyways too late to regret my decision as I informed the boss last night that I would email my resignation. My Mrs didn't think that was very smart but I knew what I was doing. I'm the type who can easily be talked around, 'we need you' 'things will get better'.

One thing that does shit me is he offered me a pay rise after I made my intentions clear. If anything that just fired me up more. 

Why didn't he offer the pay rise because I'm good hard working reliable employee. 

This could end up being a really dumb move but as I said I only get one go at this thing called life. 

Now I have to email the owner, he will be gobsmacked, I was only promoted 3 weeks ago.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

55 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Exactly, in my job my bosses are pretty decent but conditions are always changing. I have to adapt with them.

I'm in the middle management which means I still have to work my ass but if anything goes wrong it is my fault. Not to mention the percentage of fellow workers who just don't care.

Anyways too late to regret my decision as I informed the boss last night that I would email my resignation. My Mrs didn't think that was very smart but I knew what I was doing. I'm the type who can easily be talked around, 'we need you' 'things will get better'.

One thing that does shit me is he offered me a pay rise after I made my intentions clear. If anything that just fired me up more. 

Why didn't he offer the pay rise because I'm good hard working reliable employee. 

This could end up being a really dumb move but as I said I only get one go at this thing called life. 

Now I have to email the owner, he will be gobsmacked, I was only promoted 3 weeks ago.

The worst part of being in management is that you not only have to work hard but you are usually expected to make an emotional investment in whatever the company is trying to achieve, which is incredibly draining.

People lower down in the company may work really hard but they are not usually expected to invest so much of themselves into their job.

You might find that being promoted has put you in a position where you are just giving too much, and you would rather leave than burn out.

I am sure if you were to tell your boss that the demands of the job are causing problems at home, you might be surprised to find you get a positive response.

If as you say, you are one of the few people who care, then I am sure they will do their best to keep you.

You could tell them what you need to make the job bearable, like delegating some aspect of the work and be absolutely clear that money is not the issue.

No doubt your boss will try to cajole you into stopping by playing on your sense of duty, and so it would be best if you were clear about how the job needs to change.

Australia is supposed to be the land of the fair go.

Good luck! 

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Genie said:

My wife was with Talk Mobile and called them to talk new deals, they offered a really good sim only deal but she would be transferred over to Vodafone (TM parent company). Ok she says.

VF sent 2 sims for some reason and no instructions of what do do next. She's been on the phone to VF now for about 30 minutes and they are completely incompetent. She's being passed from person to person. She's still none the wiser what to do, they keep asking her for her temporary which she never was given.

I've never been with VF but their reputation is dreadful and I'm beginning to understand why.

I'm with Vodafone.

To be fair, since I started my contract they've been fine. I'm on a great contract, good reception and never had a problem. But that probably drives my good experience as I've never had to deal with their customer service...

... SINCE I had to deal with them when I started my contract.

They were utterly incompetent buffoons. I used my PUK code to transfer my number. They managed to switch the number off from my old SIM, but fail to activate it on my new SIM. So I was effectively without a phone for almost a month, because neither SIM worked.

I must have spoke/chatted/emailed their customer service team two dozen times. no exaggeration.

They just blatantly lied to me. They almost always told me they would personally deal with it and it would be working in 24 hours. It never worked. As in they literally told me that the first couple of times I called them, like 2 days after I used the code. That it would be 24 hours. It was closer to 24 days. 
I escalated to supervisors, was told the same thing, 24 hours. Never worked.

Morons. If it wasn't for the fact the contract I was getting was heavily discounted (JLR FTW) and I'd be getting a shit load of data I'd have walked away before it began.

Touch wood, it's been fine ever since (18 months now) but first impressions were dreadful.

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm with Vodafone.

To be fair, since I started my contract they've been fine. I'm on a great contract, good reception and never had a problem. But that probably drives my good experience as I've never had to deal with their customer service...

... SINCE I had to deal with them when I started my contract.

They were utterly incompetent buffoons. I used my PUK code to transfer my number. They managed to switch the number off from my old SIM, but fail to activate it on my new SIM. So I was effectively without a phone for almost a month, because neither SIM worked.

I must have spoke/chatted/emailed their customer service team two dozen times. no exaggeration.

They just blatantly lied to me. They almost always told me they would personally deal with it and it would be working in 24 hours. It never worked. As in they literally told me that the first couple of times I called them, like 2 days after I used the code. That it would be 24 hours. It was closer to 24 days. 
I escalated to supervisors, was told the same thing, 24 hours. Never worked.

Morons. If it wasn't for the fact the contract I was getting was heavily discounted (JLR FTW) and I'd be getting a shit load of data I'd have walked away before it began.

Touch wood, it's been fine ever since (18 months now) but first impressions were dreadful.

She was absolutely livid when she got off the phone, stormed upstairs and ran a bath :lol: 

Its an odd situation as Talk Mobile have flogged her a half price VF deal, she didn't ask for it they just offered it so she said why not. VF have sent her 2 sims (for an unknown reason) but when speaking to them they don't seem to know much about it all. When she asked them to confirm the price it was the full price (£17) not the £8.50 she was quoted by Talk Mobile.

She doesn't cope with stuff like this very well, and its not something I can really help with as these people will only speak with the account holder.

She's going to call TM this morning and hopefully get some kind of sense of WTF is going on.

Edited by Genie

21 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Dont waste your money on hay fever tablets/sprays/drops/local honey/magic spells... 

Last year I had the Kenalog hay fever injection last year for the first time (and again a couple of weeks ago) and it's the best thing I've ever done.

It was via a private doctor and cost £55 but how much do all the tablets etc cost over a season?

Its a steroid injection in your bum and the effect is instant.

I get it really bad, or used to do so but not any more. Just the odd sneeze, I'd say it's 95% reduced.

Its the same stuff as the steroid tablets but it's injected into a muscle so straight into blood flow which means it's not going via organs so it's a lower dose.

Some people can have some side effects and if you do them unlike tablets you are committed.

But honestly it's been increadible for me, I wish I'd found it years ago.

I looked into this recently and spoke to some of my consultants i work with they said it effective but be wary one of the side effects is increased blood pressure. So keep an eye that just to be safe mate.

21 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Supermarket own brand hayfever tablets are the best I've used and I suffer quite bad. I take two in the morning and I'm fine all day. I also get cold hives from the wind on exposed areas and use supermarket bite cream for that. In both situations, big brand stuff like anthisan cream and piritese etc... are all noticeably slower to act and not as effective.

The nasal sprays are just utter crap and you end up swallowing half of it as it drips down the back of your throat. Nonsense stuff. 

Funny you say that my eye was swelling up badly today and i just had to go buy some tablets from the petrol station as only place near me.  While queuing up a guy in line aaid mate go tesco buy the 99p ones they are unbelievably good instead of these ones that charge x5 the amount. Might check this out as beconase has been great with nose but my eyes still itch up

3 hours ago, Genie said:

She was absolutely livid when she got off the phone, stormed upstairs and ran a bath :lol: 

Its an odd situation as Talk Mobile have flogged her a half price VF deal, she didn't ask for it they just offered it so she said why not. VF have sent her 2 sims (for an unknown reason) but when speaking to them they don't seem to know much about it all. When she asked them to confirm the price it was the full price (£17) not the £8.50 she was quoted by Talk Mobile.

She doesn't cope with stuff like this very well, and its not something I can really help with as these people will only speak with the account holder.

She's going to call TM this morning and hopefully get some kind of sense of WTF is going on.

Of course you can talk to them. All she has to do is confirm her security details and say i give authorisation to speak to my partner then you can talk to her or she can setup  a password as long as you know it they have to talk to you. 

As for talk mobile ive just left them as although cheap their network coverage is absymal. I dont even get 3g let alone 4g! Also when they told me vodafone were taking over i said screw this. As like stevo i had a horrific experience with them. Only company ever i have cancelled before 2 week cancellation period expired. I just went with virgin £13 a month 2500 mins unlimited tex 6gb of data and unused data rolls over with no cap. Great deal i feel 

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Of course you can talk to them. All she has to do is confirm her security details and say i give authorisation to speak to my partner then you can talk to her or she can setup  a password as long as you know it they have to talk to you. 

As for talk mobile ive just left them as although cheap their network coverage is absymal. I dont even get 3g let alone 4g! Also when they told me vodafone were taking over i said screw this. As like stevo i had a horrific experience with them. Only company ever i have cancelled before 2 week cancellation period expired. I just went with virgin £13 a month 2500 mins unlimited tex 6gb of data and unused data rolls over with no cap. Great deal i feel 

Talk Mobile don't offer 4G and never have. Its a really bizarre scenario which seems to have confused everyone at Vodafone. They can't understand how someone at Talk Mobile was able to sell one if its customers a 50% discounted sim only contract.

She's spoken to them both this morning and had some progress. They told her to put the sim in and use the temporary number until the old number transfers over tomorrow... we'll see...

16 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The worst part of being in management is that you not only have to work hard but you are usually expected to make an emotional investment in whatever the company is trying to achieve, which is incredibly draining.

People lower down in the company may work really hard but they are not usually expected to invest so much of themselves into their job.

You might find that being promoted has put you in a position where you are just giving too much, and you would rather leave than burn out.

I am sure if you were to tell your boss that the demands of the job are causing problems at home, you might be surprised to find you get a positive response.

If as you say, you are one of the few people who care, then I am sure they will do their best to keep you.

You could tell them what you need to make the job bearable, like delegating some aspect of the work and be absolutely clear that money is not the issue.

No doubt your boss will try to cajole you into stopping by playing on your sense of duty, and so it would be best if you were clear about how the job needs to change.

Australia is supposed to be the land of the fair go.

Good luck! 

So spoken further without formally resigning and the gist is they support me in what I want to do but there will be no casual work available.

Clean break it is.

Â