General Chat

Stevo985

10 hours ago, BOF said:

If you want the best pint of Guinness in Dublin City Centre then go to the Confession Box just off O'Connell Street (Marlborough Street). It is a quite remarkable pint unlike any you'll get elsewhere. (They do actually win awards too so it's not just me who thinks it)

I would have said in all seriousness Peters pub at the back of st Stephens green shopping centre .....real nice old school pint and the owners from Tipperary so i`m biased 

I would have said in all seriousness Peters pub at the back of st Stephens green shopping centre .....real nice old school pint and the owners from Tipperary so i`m biased 

I know it. Nice pub but an unremarkable pint.

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

My mate's funeral today. I'll be speaking, and I hope I can get through it OK. 

Good luck. Hope it goes ok.

I'm speaking at my Dad's so any advice you have from it I'd be happy to listen.

I did one at my friends the other month ... I was as nervous as hell before I started , all I can say is look up and talk to the room , there is an unbelievable amount of love and goodwill beaming your way and whilst I wouldn't say I enjoyed it  , it was less nerve racking than I imagined it to be ... I saw smiles , I saw nods , I saw tears and I saw his mum mouth the words Thank You as I finished and nearly lost it but nobody is going to hold any wobbles against you 

good luck with it Mike ..

Sorry to hear about your dad Ben  , my thoughts are with you

• Like 1

Haven't even considered about speaking at my Grandads but I think I need to, as I'm actually his closest relative as my Dad died when I was very young. Have no idea what I'm going to say.

Edited by AlwaysAVFC

57 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Good luck. Hope it goes ok.

I'm speaking at my Dad's so any advice you have from it I'd be happy to listen.

The bod who took my late gran's service suggested to me that I wrote down what I was going to say and gave him a copy just in case I wasn't able to get through it. I don't know whether that's standard form (for everyone taking services) but it does mean that what you want to say will get said even if you can't carry on.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

I had initially intended to say something at my sister's funeral.  It didn't happen.  Thankfully one of her friends said pretty much everything I was going to say.  I don't know how people who are close to the person can stand up there and actually get all the way through a eulogy.  Very very tough.

• Like 1

As his oldest grandchild, I spoke at my Grandad's funeral (Mother's side), and beacuse of that I got asked to do the same at my Nan's funeral (Father's side). It's not something you're ever going to enjoy doing, but if you feel you can, then it's something that can help you. I think the fact I was focusing on what I was going to say, helped me hold it together on the days of the funerals. As Tony mentioned, there's an overwhelming amount of goodwill coming your way, while you're up there. As best as you can, try not to dwell on the circustances, and just express as much love as you can, and recall the good times you spent together. Maybe even ask other family and friends for their favourite meomories, and work those stories into what you're going to say.

Good luck, it's not going to be easy, but you're not going to regret doing it. 

• Like 4

At both my mom and dad's funerals we had a couple of family friends speak. None of us were in any state to do it. We together came up with a short paragraph for dad, which was included in the order of service handout, and that was hard enough to just compose and write, and to this day I'm not happy with it... But I couldn't have got up there and spoke. My dad's friend who spoke struggled to get through it, but I'm glad he did.

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I did one at my friends the other month ... I was as nervous as hell before I started , all I can say is look up and talk to the room , there is an unbelievable amount of love and goodwill beaming your way and whilst I wouldn't say I enjoyed it  , it was less nerve racking than I imagined it to be ... I saw smiles , I saw nods , I saw tears and I saw his mum mouth the words Thank You as I finished and nearly lost it but nobody is going to hold any wobbles against you 

good luck with it.

That's exactly how it was, Tony. I got through it fine until the last few sentences, when I did have a bit of a wobble. Just having a beer in his memory now. 

• Like 4

My mum put a little status up yesterday for her late Mum, along the lines of "Happy Mother's Day to my mum, forever in our hearts and thoughts. I miss you everyday. Proud to call you my mum" etc.

Someones commented underneath "lovely words, I'm pinching them." I've clicked on their profile and they have! Just copied and pasted my mum's status. Amazing.

Is that weird or is it just me?

20 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

My mum put a little status up yesterday for her late Mum, along the lines of "Happy Mother's Day to my mum, forever in our hearts and thoughts. I miss you everyday. Proud to call you my mum" etc.

Someones commented underneath "lovely words, I'm pinching them." I've clicked on their profile and they have! Just copied and pasted my mum's status. Amazing.

Is that weird or is it just me?

Hahaha. Oh you...

7 hours ago, BOF said:

I had initially intended to say something at my sister's funeral.  It didn't happen.  Thankfully one of her friends said pretty much everything I was going to say.  I don't know how people who are close to the person can stand up there and actually get all the way through a eulogy.  Very very tough.

i couldn't do it, im not great with that stuff anyway. ironically at my grans funeral my aunties fella who my gran didnt like at all said a few words,and it was great.

Talking at a funeral is never easy, but I feel like it's something that you could potentially regret not doing.

As Tony said, it'll be the easiest 'audience' that you'll ever face and everyone is on your side and no one will care if you get emotional.

Â