General Chat

Stevo985

Wainy,

I will be in Brum for two weeks. I was thinking of a meet up for boxing day or the match a few days later :P

I simply will be landing in Brum next week :)

BOF, It won't let me quote people on here anymore :(

I refuse to jump on the German market bandwagon that everyone seems to get on.

I don't like the Germans anyway

The German market in Brum is ridiculously busy this year, takes any fun out of it.

As for German people, probably the nicest people in Europe  :)

The nicest people in Europe are the ones who are nice. 

The worst ones are the ones who aren't nice. 

Can't see how nationality has anything to do with it. 

That's because of where you come from.

The German market in Brum is ridiculously busy this year, takes any fun out of it.

I agree with that, friendliest people I have met in my life were in Munich last year. Germans and Germany are great.

I agree with that, friendliest people I have met in my life were in Munich last year. Germans and Germany are great.

generally people are people and there are obviously good and bad everywhere, it goes without saying

but I have to say, I've found the Germans particularly friendly

I'd have to qualify that by saying its taken from a relatively small sample of:

all 4 types of Brits

Irish

Germans

Dutch

Americans

French

Poles

Maltese

as the only people I've had any sort of longish term dealings with as opposed to just holidays

If you think the German market in Brum is busy and overpriced, you should see the "Winter Wonderland" in Hyde Park.

Jeez, talk about an expensive way to be stood in a crush.

(although it's good..

1453560_503519116435878_656480400_n.jpg*

big funky bars with DJs and live music everywhere :D)

*and no, that's no promo shot - I took the picture myself whether it be good or bad :)

Edited by trekka

Are there actual places in Germany where masses of people shuffle around in the cold, past wooden huts, grumbling about the cost of candles, and glass ornaments, before eventually relenting to pay £12 for a glass of mulled wine & a sausage? How authentic are these so-called German markets?

went to the market today, more so needed to get the crimble shopping finished so I got the train up with the missus and her friend, got what I needed from a few shops and had a mooch around the market,can't see the appeal of it, I got hastled by a tramp twice, paid £3.50 for a beer and all I could smell was burnt meat, went and sat in the sun on the hill in the end and waited for the other half so if you saw a bloke stood by the bar drinking on his own looking pissed off it was probably me

Edited by Jimzk5

I don't really see the appeal either. Until this year I'd never actually 'been' to the market, just walked through it to get to do other things. This year my team at work has spent a couple of lunchtimes having a drink there, otherwise I've still just struggled my way through it. The beer wasn't much cop, it was expensive, and at the end of the day you're drinking in the street. I'd rather be drinking in an actual establishment, either sat down or standing enjoying nice surroundings (indoor or out).

It makes that whole area of town an absolute nightmare to walk around as well, meaning I effectively end up trying to avoid it.

Â