PL: sha a 2009/09/13 Reactions and Ratings

limpid

Not the best of performances but we got the win and that's the main thing.

Special mention should go to the back four who played very well, especially considering it was their first time together. Well done to Gabby aswell for once again being the difference.

UTV!

5 in a row :flag:

Sha ran their legs off for 60 minutes and we had trouble getting our game going especially since some of our players had a lot of trouble controlling and passing today (Milner what happened?) and our new defenders understandably took the safe option often. Once they got tired there was only one winner in it though.

How was it not 3-0!! Not that it looked like a 3-0 match, but I dont care about that its just that we beat the shit again.

Especially as I had 3-0 and Gabby to score first. Oh well had a tenner on it too so got some money back.

Got my kickoff time confused and only wandered in to find a Dutch stream after the 2nd half kickoff. We looked a little rusty tbh, especially Milner. But Bloose never really threatened at all and I always felt we were in with a chance of scoring. Why was Cuellar played at RB? interesting move, Beye injured or ill or something? Who provided the centering header for Gabby to finish, couldn't tell from my stream? Nice finish with the head. Oh how sweet that is. Young was certainly whooping it up at full time geeing up the away support, fantastic to see. Also, thought James Collins looked bloody solid, as did Dunne.

We still lack flair in the middle badly. oh well next window ey?

I'd say when Gabby was kicking a ball around his estate as a doe-eyed 6 year old, he imagined scoring the winner in the 84th minute against Blues about a thousand times

He's well on his way to doing it a thousand times at this rate!

Friedel - 8 - Didn't have to do much, but made good saves when needed.

Cuellar - 8 - Kept McFadden quiet, didn't put a foot wrong.

Collins - 8.5 - Played them onside for a few attacks, but very calm on the ball, won a million headers.

Dunne - 9 - MotM - BEAST!

Warnock - 7.5 - Did well defensively, didn't link up that well goinng forward.

Milner - 7 - Alot of misplaced passes and poor efforts on goal, but awesome work rate.

Reo-Coker - 7 - Worked hard, battled, didn't do anything of note.

Petrov - 8 - Won the ball back really well on a number of ocassions, well played cap'n.

Sidwell - 7.5 - Unlucky not to score, worked hard like the other 2 in midfield.

Young - 7.5 - Some great play at times, some good balls in, Tainio played him quite well though to be fair.

Gabby - 9 - Great goal, worked hard, used his strength and pace well all game.

Carew - 7.5 - Weren't on long, but great header to set up the goal, should have scored/played Milner in for a 2nd.

MON - 9 - 4-5-1 this, 4-5-1 that. A MON substitution changing it to 4-4-2 won us the game, well played boss!

Not trhe most memorable of performances but a win is a win. 3 points is 3 points. Fantastic result.

I recorded both halves and they are each about 150mbs. I'm uploading the 2nd half as we speak. IF anyone would like to see it again, PM me.

I'll post a link soon to watch it.

Really impressed with Dunne on debut for us in the center of our defence, big and mobile and were kept busy with high balls which were dealt with effectively on the whole i thought.

Why would we neglect the midfield with long balls up front all day and not use Carew up there from the start is beyond me, glad to get away with this one as we played far too direct with no real expectation on most of the balls, strange performance but happy with the 3 points.

I agree, Upson was immense. :lol:

Brad - So glad we had such an old head in goal. He was comfortable when tested from distance and is unflappable. 8.

Collins and Dunne - I've never been so calm during a derby game. This pair are bloody solid. I knew after about 15 minutes that no matter what the filth threw at us there was no getting past these guys today. 9

Cuellar - I like him at RB. Came across to help the CB's out when it got tight. 8

Warnock - Stronger in the tackle than Shorey and likes to go forward. 8.

Milner - A few stray passes. Frustrating afternoon for Jimmy - 7

Young - Once again a marked man. Struggled to create much but give him an inch....8.

Reo / Sidders / Petrov - The engine room. There to press the opposition and close down and get a foot in. Easily matched the Blues midfield.

Gabby - Felt sorry for him as he was pretty isolated most of the game, but the Brummie wins it for us again!

Sub - Carew - Really helped Gabby up front. Gave us an outlet and battled away. 8

:flag:

Really impressed with Dunne on debut for us in the center of our defence, big and mobile and were kept busy with high balls which were dealt with effectively on the whole i thought.

Why would we neglect the midfield with long balls up front all day and not use Carew up there from the start is beyond me, glad to get away with this one as we played far too direct with no real expectation on most of the balls, strange performance but happy with the 3 points.

I agree, Upson was immense. :lol:

LOL VERY SWIFT editing there fella!!!!

**** David Gold BTW!!!

Cant wait to read Karen Bradys whore diary next week!

I'd say when Gabby was kicking a ball around his estate as a doe-eyed 6 year old, he imagined scoring the winner in the 84th minute against Blues about a thousand times

He's well on his way to doing it a thousand times at this rate!

Friedel - 8 - Didn't have to do much, but made good saves when needed.

Cuellar - 8 - Kept McFadden quiet, didn't put a foot wrong.

Collins - 8.5 - Played them onside for a few attacks, but very calm on the ball, won a million headers.

Dunne - 9 - MotM - BEAST!

Warnock - 7.5 - Did well defensively, didn't link up that well goinng forward.

Milner - 7 - Alot of misplaced passes and poor efforts on goal, but awesome work rate.

Reo-Coker - 7 - Worked hard, battled, didn't do anything of note.

Petrov - 8 - Won the ball back really well on a number of ocassions, well played cap'n.

Sidwell - 7.5 - Unlucky not to score, worked hard like the other 2 in midfield.

Young - 7.5 - Some great play at times, some good balls in, Tainio played him quite well though to be fair.

Gabby - 9 - Great goal, worked hard, used his strength and pace well all game.

Carew - 7.5 - Weren't on long, but great header to set up the goal, should have scored/played Milner in for a 2nd.

MON - 9 - 4-5-1 this, 4-5-1 that. A MON substitution changing it to 4-4-2 won us the game, well played boss!

Nah, that'd mean the Blues would have to stay up consecutively and that just simply isn't possible for the scum!

Just saw this comment on the live text thing on the BBC website by Caroline Cheese:

Birmingham back in 14th, and they really didn't deserve to lose that game.

Was she watching the same match? Yes, it was dull and we didn't play very well. Yet we created the better opportunities and could (and perhaps should) have won by more. Dross like that really annoys me. Well done again to the lads for a battling display that wasn't pretty, but that got the job done! UTV!

Not great, but it's about getting the results - and we got the result :D

Defence did well considering how new it was. Dunne-Collins looked good & solid, winning nearly everything in the air and playing safe, sensible. Only criticism, though understandable, was them and Cuellar hoofing it over the midfield pretty much every time.

Dull game, we didn't create much - they also had few real chances (I think Carsley's long-ranger was about their closest effort) - but the change worked and we punished them as they tired.

3 wins in a row - good response to the Wigan game :)