The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

On 01/12/2017 at 10:35, bannedfromHandV said:

Going to watch Pumarosa in Manchester tonight.

They released their debut album around 3 weeks ago following the unbelievably good 'Priestess' tune they released a couple of years back.

Should be good but you never know with up and coming bands.

Folks, absolutely immense.

Highly recommend seeing whilst they're still playing intimate venues, had a great night and would have happily paid significantly more than £9!

Warm up act was the most bizarre thing I've ever seen mind.........

On 12/1/2017 at 12:49, chrisp65 said:

Yes, it's open now.

Mixed feeling about that one. It's heading towards gentrification and back in the day I used to enjoy my lunchtime stew in Dempseys.

But recently it had turned in to a rugby dicks pub. To the point where during the Euro's they absolutely refused to show the Wales games. They literally had some minor rugby bollocks, **** Gloucester against Newport or some such shite, or on another occasion **** archive rugby of some new zealand game.

So, the thought of that place being bought by a footballer, closed down, bleached and exorcised is actually quite funny.

Always been a weird place. Sports Bar........and live Jazz. More just mourn an historic venue gone like the Coal Exchange.

tried to get Pearl Jam tickets on pre sale the other day .. 1 second after they went on sale ... no standing tickets  available

thought maybe they weren't putting them on pre-sale , so logged in today for general sale   , 2 different ticket sites , got into both a second after they opened  ..not a single standing ticket available

However ..they are available on our partner site for an inflated price

rocket polishers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

tried to get Pearl Jam tickets on pre sale the other day .. 1 second after they went on sale ... no standing tickets  available

thought maybe they weren't putting them on pre-sale , so logged in today for general sale   , 2 different ticket sites , got into both a second after they opened  ..not a single standing ticket available

However ..they are available on our partner site for an inflated price

rocket polishers

Got a couple of seating tickets through 02 priority this week. Grew up listening to them and this will be the first time seeing them live, hopefully worth ticking off my bucket list.

1 hour ago, stuart_75 said:

Got a couple of seating tickets through 02 priority this week. Grew up listening to them and this will be the first time seeing them live, hopefully worth ticking off my bucket list.

yeah I could have got some but I wanted Standing tickets , probably should have just got seats and been done with it  ... looking at going to see them in Prague or berlin instead  ..**** the touts :) 

Roy Wood next saturday, the missus is a fan and he has a Beach Boys connection (apart from being an admirer he played on a track on their 1976 "15 Big Ones" LP)

13 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Roy Wood next saturday, the missus is a fan and he has a Beach Boys connection (apart from being an admirer he played on a track on their 1976 "15 Big Ones" LP)

Years ago I worked with his sound man, he knew I was a fan so he got me on his guest list and met Roy. Enough to say Roy Wood was a fantastic and entertaining man and in the early 90's was great live. 

Saw Roy Wood at the Robin 2 last night. Brilliant night - played loads of his old Move and Wizzard songs. He is a fantastic front man, full of jokes and stories and has a great rapport with the audience. I'd like to see him do a tour in a more 'rock' setting than a 'rock 'n roll' setting (i.e. more guitar and less sax) but it was still brilliant.

Not sure how well a gig like that will translate to a nice comfy sit-down venue like symphony hall though.

• Like 1

On 05/12/2017 at 11:17, Rugeley Villa said:

A lad I work with went to watch Phil Collins on Sunday night. It seems he's not in a good way at all. Apparently he spent most of the gig sat down on a stool whilst singing. He said he was pretty good though. 

Saw him at Hyde Park - he indeed is struggling to walk and cannot play drums. He still put on a decent show though, particularly good in a festival setting to be honest with his perky upbeat pop stuff. It is  odd equating him with the same guy that used to play endlessly complex jazz fusion and prog in the seventies and eighties though...

24 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Saw him at Hyde Park - he indeed is struggling to walk and cannot play drums. He still put on a decent show though, particularly good in a festival setting to be honest with his perky upbeat pop stuff. It is  odd equating him with the same guy that used to play endlessly complex jazz fusion and prog in the seventies and eighties though...

He's never been one to tickle my balls, but I don't mind the odd song on the radio. Was never a fan of early genesis either, they were too much for me. You'd think he would call it a day if he's that bad, but I suppose money talks, and if he's still enjoying it. 

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

He's never been one to tickle my balls, but I don't mind the odd song on the radio. Was never a fan of early genesis either...

Brand X, Ruge.

He's pretty flash, even if you don't like it.

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Not familiar with Brand X, but after googling it, I may very well like it. I don't mind jazz fusion. 

Unorthodox Behaviour and Moroccan Roll are astonishing albums. Phil's drumming on them is remarkable.

On 12/13/2017 at 11:27, Lichfield Dean said:

Saw Roy Wood at the Robin 2 last night. Brilliant night - played loads of his old Move and Wizzard songs. He is a fantastic front man, full of jokes and stories and has a great rapport with the audience. I'd like to see him do a tour in a more 'rock' setting than a 'rock 'n roll' setting (i.e. more guitar and less sax) but it was still brilliant.

Not sure how well a gig like that will translate to a nice comfy sit-down venue like symphony hall though.

yeah....it was Ok at Symphony hall, Roy wasn't on long enough if you ask me (well under 90 minutes) and some of that stint was taken up by Paul Young. A very strange guest if you ask me and his voice seems shot to shit.

Mark Radcliff's sea shanty band Galleon Blast were on first, another very odd specatacle. The kind of thing you'd expect in a seaside boozer.

Wood's Move stuff stands the test of time far better than the Wizzard tracks IMO.

On 19/12/2017 at 14:52, rjw63 said:

yeah....it was Ok at Symphony hall, Roy wasn't on long enough if you ask me (well under 90 minutes) and some of that stint was taken up by Paul Young. A very strange guest if you ask me and his voice seems shot to shit.

Mark Radcliff's sea shanty band Galleon Blast were on first, another very odd specatacle. The kind of thing you'd expect in a seaside boozer.

Wood's Move stuff stands the test of time far better than the Wizzard tracks IMO.

He played under 90 mins at the Robin as well, I think any longer is probably just too much for him these days. Agree about the Move Vs Wizzard stuff, although Wizzard were very odd in that the singles were totally different to the album - Wizzard Brew is just a massively noisy beast of an album and really very different to the lightweight poppy singles.

Â