The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On American Psycho:

Actually

Bret Easton Ellis has stated on numerous occasions that the murders were real and not inside Bateman's head.

• Like 1

On American Psycho:

Actually Bret Easton Ellis has stated on numerous occasions that the murders were real and not inside Bateman's head.

Yeah I thought that

With the

lawyer at the end who says he had lunch with Paul Allen twice in London I always thought it was mistaken identity and indication to how he gets away with it in this superficial world where everyone looks the same along side all the bull they talk.

On American Psycho:

Actually Bret Easton Ellis has stated on numerous occasions that the murders were real and not inside Bateman's head.

Yeah I thought that

With the

lawyer at the end who says he had lunch with Paul Allen twice in London I always thought it was mistaken identity and indication to how he gets away with it in this superficial world where everyone looks the same along side all the bull they talk.

Yep that's bang on.

I remember an interview with Brett Easton Ellis and Christian Bale where that was what was said. Basically, if the murders hadn't taken place the whole premise of his book would have been pointless.

Edited by Designer1

saw Star Trek last night

enjoyable enough but I'm not a huge trekkie  fan  .. of the 2 recent big films I thought Iron Man 3 was better , but ST keeps your attention , though I thought it was difficult to hear what was being said sometimes , don't know if that was the film editing or the cinema I was in

3D was pretty good for an action movie

... hate to think what condition Alice Eve would be in if I had to spend 5 years in space with her though certainly be attempting to boldly go where no man has gone before

Don't like old spock being in it  much though , ruined the last one for me as well

OH and for changing THE words from " boldly go where no MAN" to " Anyone " ??  boo hiss

On American Psycho:

Yeah I thought that

With the

Yep that's bang on.

I remember an interview with Brett Easton Ellis and Christian Bale where that was what was said. Basically, if the murders hadn't taken place the whole premise of his book would have been pointless.

I like this conversation. It's like we're spies. But yeah, about the film, it's all to do with the world they live in being the perfect alibi, like how all the business cards read Vice President and how when Allen mistakes Bateman for being Hammerstram, they're all wearing the same glasses. It all creates this sort of six second memory 'Hi, let me tell you about me' communication where they're all so self-absorbed they're paying no attention to each other allowing for terrible things to be committed

Hey guys, please give me an idea of what I should make my friday night viewing. Doesn't matter if you havent seen all of them, if there's one that you've seen and liked, let me know. I am terrible, terrible at picking what to watch. I mean it. If I can't pick one, then I'd end up watching nothing at all. For shame ;___;

Doom Generation

The Cement Garden

I'm Not Scared (Io Non ho Paura)

Confessions (Kokuhaku)

The Kid With A Bike (Le Gamin au Velo)

Honestly I'm kind of verring towards Doom Generation. Get a pizza in, some beers, watch a trashy movie. Fun! But also I'm Not Scared looks srs gd.

Hey guys, please give me an idea of what I should make my friday night viewing. Doesn't matter if you havent seen all of them, if there's one that you've seen and liked, let me know. I am terrible, terrible at picking what to watch. I mean it. If I can't pick one, then I'd end up watching nothing at all. For shame ;___;

Doom Generation

The Cement Garden

I'm Not Scared (Io Non ho Paura)

Confessions (Kokuhaku)

The Kid With A Bike (Le Gamin au Velo)

Honestly I'm kind of verring towards Doom Generation. Get a pizza in, some beers, watch a trashy movie. Fun! But also I'm Not Scared looks srs gd.

Haven't seen Doom Generation or The Cement Garden (I need to watch it though as it has Charlotte Gainsbourg in it) but I'm not Scared and The Kid with the bike (love Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne) are both good movies.

However, Confessions is one of my favourites from the last few years. Genuinely brilliant piece of film making. Pretty sure I recommended it somewhere in this thread. So that would be my top choice.

Edited by Designer1

Confessions is the one with the aids?

If so yeah it is a quality movie, enjoyed that one.

Yeah that's the one. Revenge tales don't come much better.

Well, I'd say thanks, but honestly, you guys havent really helped. Now I just want to see Confessions and I'm Not Scared more than Doom Generation, but I still do want to watch that aswell. Then again, I could watch all of them over the weekend :)

To chime in on LOTR trilogy. For me the Series was ruined by the final film, the butchering of the climax to the book with the battle of minas tirith. All the best parts of the book were not present in the film, yet they found time for legolas oliphant nonsense. Then the ghosts, the bloody ghosts.

Such a shame.

the end of the world trailer is out, looks good, unsurprisingly involves pubs... looks a good cast, its the 3rd film in pegg / frost / wright cornetto trilogy so ive got high expectations, saw hot fuzz last week and forgot how absolutely brilliant it is

Spent a night in with the little lady last night.

This little lady in fact...

the-exorcist-399.jpg

I'd never gotten round to seeing it before. I'm not a big horror fan but I thought it's just one of those films I should watch before I die.

It was okay, though they left some pretty important details out which I had to research afterwards. I suppose I may have just missed it, but I don't recall much exposition on the link between Father Merrin's time in the Middle East and his previous encounter with the demon, who I also don't remember being named but is apparently called Pazuzu. I also don't think the whole ouija board/Captain Howdy thing was really given as much detail and screentime as it warranted.

It basically left me with a lot of questions, and it didn't scare me. It actually made me laugh with all the profanity. Still, it wasn't a bad film.

Edited by Ginko

Watched Promised Land last night, Most of you probably won't bother, as it's fairly slow and not perfect. But it's Matt Damon, Frances Mcmormand (or whoever) and that guy from The Office, John Krasinkski. And it's not so long. Drama in a farm town sums it up. I didn't mind it though.

Going to go and get some food in a minute and buy a DVD. Toss up between Argo and Life of Pi at the moment.

I'm leaning more towards Argo.

bought Bullit dvd from Sainsbury today, they had some with £5 stickers and some with £3 stickers on......so I had a long hard think and picked up one with a £3 sticker on it

But more money means better ?

Ah, Apple economics 1.0.

Going to go and get some food in a minute and buy a DVD. Toss up between Argo and Life of Pi at the moment.

Argo is an entertaining film.

though havent seen Life of Pi but reminds of something that looks beautiful but would probably bore you to death

saw Star Trek last night

enjoyable enough but I'm not a huge trekkie  fan  .. of the 2 recent big films I thought Iron Man 3 was better , but ST keeps your attention , though I thought it was difficult to hear what was being said sometimes , don't know if that was the film editing or the cinema I was in

3D was pretty good for an action movie

... hate to think what condition Alice Eve would be in if I had to spend 5 years in space with her though certainly be attempting to boldly go where no man has gone before

Don't like old spock being in it  much though , ruined the last one for me as well

OH and for changing THE words from " boldly go where no MAN" to " Anyone " ??  boo hiss

Went to see Star Trek tonight and thought it was fantastic. Just the right amount of 3D which didn't detract from the story.

Didn't really think that Leonard Nimoy's cameo should have ruined the movie for you but maybe his appearance wasn't really necessary to the story and it is maybe time now to severe the connection with the original crew?

However, i'm still not convinced by the new Kirk but the rest of the new crew are strong enough to carry the franchise to boldly go where no-one has gone before. 

Argo is an entertaining film.

though havent seen Life of Pi but reminds of something that looks beautiful but would probably bore you to death

I actually bought both, and on blu-ray too, an expensive little trip.

I've just finished watching Life of Pi and it is indeed visually stunning, and the music and the rest of the sound is just as good. As for being boring...

...you couldn't be more wrong. It was a very sweet story and I was totally taken in. I can't really discuss it more than that, not even with spoiler tags because it's a story with an ending that has more than one interpretation. I usually don't really got for these kinds of films as I'm a bit obsessive in my pursuit of canon and the "true" ending the writer leans towards, but the whole thing about faith and your own interpretations is the entire theme of the story, and it absolutely works. I know which ending I lean towards more heavily, even though in terms of faith in my own life I'm not quite so accepting, but within the confines of the story it really is quite neat. I absolutely loved it. One of the best films I've seen in quite some time.

Argo is up next.

Â