The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I ****' love 'The Master'. I also think it is his best work.

And I absolutely need to see it in 70mm.

Have you seen the Documentary from 1946 'Let there be light'?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038687/

Paul Thomas Anderson sighted it as a huge influence on The Master, said he stole loads from it :) 

Producer JoAnne Sellar also said they also used Let there be light as a reference for production design and costume design.

Here it is -

It comes with the DVD. Haven't got round to watching it yet. I rarely watch special features, if I'm honest. I feel bad, because people put the effort in, but apart from LOTR they are usually very dull.

But that seems interesting.

Oh I didn't realise that sorry.

Yeah, I'd say to give it a watch I found it quite interesting plus you can play a game of listing all the dialogue that appears in both films :) 

After watching The Godfather again a few days back I watched Part II last night.

I always remember preferring Part II to the first film, but I think I've changed my mind now. The Godfather was just pure joy from start to finish. The dichotomy of the storyline in Part II isn't a bad thing, but I found myself just waiting to get back to the flashbacks with De Niro as Vito showing how he came to be the Godfather. The story with Pacino in the film's present just didn't grab me as it has done when I've watched it before. It's still a great film, of course, just not as fondly remembered this time round.

I said I wasn't going to round the trilogy off but I think I have to, despite having no love for Part III at all.

Edited by Ginko

watched red Dragon again wanted to watch before thinking to watch Hannibal.

Its a pretty underrated movie when look back on it, not amazing but as a thriller its very good.

As a birthday treat on Saturday my fiancee is going to take me to see the new Star Trek movie. Anyone seen any of the reviews? Not that i'll see much of it as my fiancee likes to pull in the dark. 

Saw American Psycho for the first time today.

It was a bit weird, not really my kind of thing.

The book is brilliant but then I also really liked the film.

Anyway I have to return some video tapes

Ha, I thought to myself during the film that I'm going to start saying that, then I thought I might have to modernise it.

It wasn't a bad film by any stretch, I just didn't really like any of the characters, including Patrick. Also, one thing...

...are you meant to wonder whether or not he actually committed all the murders? Paul Allen's apartment is spotless when the real estate agent is there so did he really kill these women and store the bodies there? Was it all in his head? Or did they just clean up? The lawyer at the end says he had lunch with Paul Allen twice in London. Did he not really kill him in that case, or is it down to a case of mistaken identity which seemed to occur throughout the film?

Ha, I thought to myself during the film that I'm going to start saying that, then I thought I might have to modernise it.

It wasn't a bad film by any stretch, I just didn't really like any of the characters, including Patrick. Also, one thing...

...are you meant to wonder whether or not he actually committed all the murders? Paul Allen's apartment is spotless when the real estate agent is there so did he really kill these women and store the bodies there? Was it all in his head? Or did they just clean up? The lawyer at the end says he had lunch with Paul Allen twice in London. Did he not really kill him in that case, or is it down to a case of mistaken identity which seemed to occur throughout the film?

I see it as its all in his head, he's just mental,

• Like 1

On American Psycho

Yes, it's in his head. It's a satire on the yuppie culture that sprang up in the 80s - rich white men who thought they owned the world. Could just as well be set in the modern day City of London.

The book is better and a lot grimmer/funnier. I like the film, though, and Bale puts in one of, if not his best, performance.

bought Bullit dvd from Sainsbury today, they had some with £5 stickers and some with £3 stickers on......so I had a long hard think and picked up one with a £3 sticker on it

bought Bullit dvd from Sainsbury today, they had some with £5 stickers and some with £3 stickers on......so I had a long hard think and picked up one with a £3 sticker on it

But more money means better ?

But more money means better ?

I wasn't thinking was I

I'm not going to enjoy it so much now

Ha, that was a good scene.

I think if I watched it again with the mentality that a lot of it is in his head, not just the murders but just pretty much everything, I might enjoy it more.

Patrick Bateman: Ask me a question.

Daisy: What do you do?

Patrick Bateman: I'm into... well murders and executions mostly.

Daisy: Do you like it?

Patrick Bateman: It depends. Why?

Daisy: Because most guys I know who work with mergers and acquisitions really don't like it.

I did enjoy all those scenes where he actually said stuff like that, or the one where he's with Evelyn and says he's homicidal, and they just either don't hear him or don't take him seriously :D

Edited by Ginko

could watch that film over and over ...some good acting by bale ....hard to imagine dicaprio in that role !!!!! and they are remaking it as well ...that would be a mistake ....

The film is fairly tame compared to the book 

Â