The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I'm a huge Bret Easton Ellis fan and The Informers is on Film 4 tonight - has anyone seen it and is it worth a late night?

I thought it was quite a compelling film. I didn't think the characters were as exaggerated as a few reviews stated, plus I didn't think it was as tasteless as some people seemed to either. It's probably a bit preachy and definitely cliché but that's not always a bad thing

:).

It's quite satirical, more of a character study than plot driven, a very serious film without comic relief. Billy Bob Thorton is very good in it I thought.

It's worth staying up for but you'll definitely see why it's on so late.

This lady is often nude in it as well if you're interested in that :D -

Amber-Heard-3.jpg

Thank you. Not sure if you've read the book, but I've a fair idea why it's on so late. :)

Because of the zoo animals ennit?

:P

After seeing Olivia Colman win two Baftas, has anyone watched "Tyrannosaur"?  because I thought she was brilliant in that.             

Yeah that's a fantastic film. Very bleak,

Yes little bit like a Shane Meadows film.  Paddy Constadine directed it and he has worked with Shane meadows so some influence there.

I can't watch 'Tyrannosaur' after hearing about a certain animals demise in the opening scenes. I can't handle doggie death, not after 'My Dog Skip'.

There were two cases of dog murders in the film.

I can't watch 'Tyrannosaur' after hearing about a certain animals demise in the opening scenes. I can't handle doggie death, not after 'My Dog Skip'.

Have you seen Marley and Me?

After seeing Olivia Colman win two Baftas, has anyone watched "Tyrannosaur"?  because I thought she was brilliant in that.             

Yeah that's a fantastic film. Very bleak,

Yes little bit like a Shane Meadows film.  Paddy Constadine directed it and he has worked with Shane meadows so some influence there.

Yep :) Paddy 'Raging Bull(Ring)' Considine. One of my favourite actors.

Dead man's shoes is one of my all time favourite films, Directed by Meadows, starring Considine. written by Meadows, Considine and Paul Fraser

And with similar credits, 'A Room for Romeo Brass' another great film. 

• Like 1

Yeah Shane Meadows is definitely one of the best the UK has to offer. Been a big fan since 24/7, and apart from Once Upon a Time in the Midlands i've loved all his work.

Have to say though, I thought Tyrannosaur owed a lot more to Ken Loach than Meadows. That film was a like a wet dream for me, with Paddy (who I adore) directing Peter Mullan, Eddie Marsan and Olivia Colman who are all favourites of mine.

Brilliant, powerful stuff.

Yep :) Paddy 'Raging Bull(Ring)' Considine. One of my favourite actors.

Dead man's shoes is one of my all time favourite films, Directed by Meadows, starring Considine. written by Meadows, Considine and Paul Fraser

And with similar credits, 'A Room for Romeo Brass' another great film. 

Yep I normally can handle violence in films but deads man's shoes was a bit too much for me. Havn't seen 'A room for Romeo Brass' will have to check it out

• Like 1

Yeah Shane Meadows is definitely one of the best the UK has to offer. Been a big fan since 24/7, and apart from Once Upon a Time in the Midlands i've loved all his work.

Have to say though, I thought Tyrannosaur owed a lot more to Ken Loach than Meadows. That film was a like a wet dream for me, with Paddy (who I adore) directing Peter Mullan, Eddie Marsan and Olivia Colman who are all favourites of mine.

Brilliant, powerful stuff.

I couldn't have a wet dream over Eddie Marsan to be honest but a good actor. Real nasty piece of work in that film.

Do yourself a favour and watch it. Neither are graphic. And both serve a purpose to the story. Plus you'll grow into a big strong man :-P
  • Like 1

Really liking The Informers so far. I love and am completely fascinated by anything to do with LA in any time period. Epic soundtrack too. Been listening to Safety Dance on YouTube for about 10 minutes now :P

• Like 1

Went to see Star Trek: Into Darkness last night. It's good. Lacks the "pleasant surprise" novelty impact element that the first one had, but it's fun - like an episode of The Original Series, but with a decent budget.

As a fan of TOS (and ONLY TOS), I am totally sold on this generation of actors as 'authentic' interpretations of Kirk, Spock, Scotty, Bones, Uhura, Chekov and Sulu.

Not sure about Cumberbatch camping it up as Khan (but then I never took much notice of the original big screen movies, so I have no idea about the whole Khan backstory).

Live long and prosper.

Prometheus. I enjoyed it as a standalone movie. I'm not a geek when it comes to Alien(s) so I wouldn't get any potential storyline conflicts etc. But Charlize, dayamn. "My quarters. Ten minutes".

Watched it this week. Thought it was pretty poor, TBH.

Good idea for an Alien prequel, but in many ways a wasted opportunity. Sure, the SFX were OK, but how many times can they get away with the old "alien in the stomach" thing? Crappy script, ill-thought-out plot, poor acting, saved a little by the female lead (don't know her name). And the setup for the next one at the end sounds ominous.

Let it go, Ridley.

Edited by mjmooney

As a fan of TOS (and ONLY TOS), I am totally sold on this generation of actors as 'authentic' interpretations of Kirk, Spock, Scotty, Bones, Uhura, Chekov and Sulu.

Not sure about Cumberbatch camping it up as Khan (but then I never took much notice of the original big screen movies, so I have no idea about the whole Khan backstory).

Betraying what little cool I have and going full Trekkie, you wouldn't have needed to watch the films for Khan's back story as he was first introduced in the OS episode 'Space Seed'.

tumblr_lj6j6dhyjM1qc54yxo1_400.gif

Betraying what little cool I have and going full Trekkie, you wouldn't have needed to watch the films for Khan's back story as he was first introduced in the OS episode 'Space Seed'.

tumblr_lj6j6dhyjM1qc54yxo1_400.gif

Well apart from the very occasional repeat, I haven't watched the series since it was first broadcast. And although I always enjoyed it, I never took too much notice of the detail, so perhaps "fan" was the wrong word. It's just that I used to like watching it, but couldn't be arsed with the Jean-Luc Picard (and after) era. I don't remember the Khan episode(s) at all, I just associate the name with the "Wrath of..." movie (that I've never seen).

Edited by mjmooney

Bernie%20poster_portal.jpg

Even if (like me) you're not Jack Blacks biggest fan, this is well worth a watch. Based on a true story and features cracking performances from Black and MacLaine.

Recommended. :thumb:

Prometheus. I enjoyed it as a standalone movie. I'm not a geek when it comes to Alien(s) so I wouldn't get any potential storyline conflicts etc. But Charlize, dayamn. "My quarters. Ten minutes".

Watched it this week. Thought it was pretty poor, TBH.

Good idea for an Alien prequel, but in many ways a wasted opportunity. Sure, the SFX were OK, but how many times can they get away with the old "alien in the stomach" thing? Crappy script, ill-thought-out plot, poor acting, saved a little by the female lead (don't know her name). And the setup for the next one at the end sounds ominous.

Let it go, Ridley.

Interestingly enough it shares a writer with ST: ID and suffers with similar issues IMO - loads of it doesn't make great deals of sense.

Lindelhof is a cancer to movie making.

• Like 1

Have just acquired Miike's 'Audition'.  I hear I'm in for quite a ride.

It's like a Japanese version of Sleepless in Seattle...

...for a bit.

Â