The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

trying to think what i watched last time, definitely that bradley cooper sniper film and im not sure why because the picture and sound was shit, i also watched get hard which i thought was a bit more suitable, complete throw away film, might have watched the last F&F, xmen and avengers films too

ive also watched all of the pacific in one sitting on a plane

Not hard, all you've got to do is look out the window. 

• Like 4

Actually only done it once myself, flew Hanoi to Ottawa via Taipei and Vancouver . . . looooooooong journey that was! 

I can remember one of the films I watched, it was called 'Sweetwater'. It was about these American guys in one of 'Big Sky' states herding sheep over many many miles of mountains. Oddly, it was brilliant. 

EDIT: 'Sweetgrass', not 'Sweetwater'. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

6 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Just watched Deadpool.

Very entertaining overall, just a little bit tonally uneven and not quite as subversive as I would have liked it to be. 

Still great fun though.

I'd go along with that.

It's chucking gags at the audience non stop to the extent you miss some, and some just don't play (the running IKEA gag), but it's really good fun that's absolutely carried by Ryan Reynolds.

A Deadpool movie had no right to be as decent as this is. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

What makes a film a good film for a plane journey?

I once heard of a man who started watching '12 Years a Slave' on a plane. Is that an appropriate context in which to watch that film? Or does the context in which you watch it not matter?

I watched one of the Harry Potter films on a plane, and that terrible film 'Serendipity'. Both, I think, pass as OK films to watch on the plane.

Airline matters. When I flew with Emirates they censored everything, which meant anything even remotely adult was off the cards as I wasn't watching the proper film which would annoy me. Although it did mean I watched the Lego movie which was **** brilliant.

But I don't like flying, so a lot of the time I'm not particularly relaxed enough to fully appreciate a film.

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Airline matters. When I flew with Emirates they censored everything, which meant anything even remotely adult was off the cards as I wasn't watching the proper film which would annoy me. Although it did mean I watched the Lego movie which was **** brilliant.

But I don't like flying, so a lot of the time I'm not particularly relaxed enough to fully appreciate a film.

Emirates is very random for their editing. I fly with them quite a lot and some films are left virtually untouched, whereas others are hacked to pieces.

It's annoying as their in-flight entertainment system is otherwise very good. TV shows are left unfettered, but there's no notification as to what degree a film has been edited prior to it being selected and watched.

Basically if I actually want to watch the film in question, but I put it on and it says "This film has been edited blah blah" I switch off.

I'll just watch a throwaway film instead.

(I think that's what led me to watch "Need for Speed". Sheesh)

I always seem to get the seat where the in-flight entertainment is broken.  I did manage to catch the Senna film on the lady across the aisle in the row in front's screen last time I was on a plane, a lot of it seemed to have subtitles so I could get a gist of what was going on.

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

so Deadpool means we should forget that Wolverine film then? (even more than I already forgot :P )

The film itself makes numerous references to 'that Wolverine film', all of them sarcastic and disparaging.

Deadpool

It was good, more than anything else it worked, doesn't hit every note, it's an incredibly simplistic story, Ajax and angel are pretty poor villains with no real attempt at any kind of villainous plan, colossus and NSTW are ok but just there to tie it in and throw in more characters (which they of course highlight)

The response to "I'm taking you to see the professor" was my favourite part, perfectly summed up what the film was all about

Loved Deadpool, exactly what I thought it'd be and just what it needed to be.

Captured the spirit of the comics and character well and Reynolds was absolutely brilliant.

I was a bit concerned that it wouldn't appeal much to the general populous since it's very much made for the comic fans, but the theatre was packed when I saw it and everybody was laughing. I think it's safe to assume that not everybody there was a comic fan.

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Just bought 3 BDs from HMV for £20 so I thought I'd pick 3 I haven't seen.

12 years a slave

Whiplash

Inside Llewyn Davies

Looks like I've chosen some decent films.

Three belters there mate :thumb:

• Like 1

Wait, so in that one X-men film with Ryan Reynolds and he plays a guy who has like swords coming out of his hands, no mouth and IIRC lasers coming out of his eyes, that's supposed to be Deadpool? 

Or am I being dumb? 

Edited by PieFacE

yes but they royally **** him up

reynolds is a huge deadpool fan, it sounds like he wanted to use that as a vehicle to get his own film and tbf the scenes at the start arent that bad even if he's not really in character 

the villain at the end of the film i think is pure artistic license, never in the comics in that guise and utterly shite

knocked this film back by a few years because it was that bad, its a horrific film and to rub salt in the wounds it introduces deadpool and gambit (this year or next? he's got his own film too, channing tatum i think) 

• Like 1

Â