The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Would recommend still life, although its a very quiet unassuming film that may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Eddie marsan is brilliant (typically) as a council worker employed to seek out relatives of recently deceased.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Would recommend still life, although its a very quiet unassuming film that may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Eddie marsan is brilliant (typically) as a council worker employed to seek out relatives of recently deceased.

That film got me in the feels big time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Force_Majeure_Poster.jpg

Can't remember if it was someone on here who recommended this, but if it was then cheers! it was great :thumb:

Been meaning to get round to this for weeks. I think it's going on tonight.

• Like 1

Beasts of no nation

Really enjoyed it, think the cinematography and certain bits of it you can see it's been done on the cheap but that's me looking for any kind of criticism, it's well written, great interesting story, even if it wasn't real it felt incredibly close to what I envisaged to what's going on, at times it felt a bit like city of God, it's a shame it dropped the subtitles and went for English after about half an hour but that lets Elba do his thing, he's brilliant in it, he might even have a case for this controversy...but that said I thought the kid was superb, if you look at the accolades the bloke got for captain Phillips this kid is better

• Like 2

cobain montage of heck

im not a nirvana fan and always thought they were slightly overrated, because of that i didnt actually know that much about them or him, what i would say after watching this is that i still dont know that much about them, it is about him and not the band, i didnt have an opinion on him before it, definitely a troubled soul, shit childhood, sense of feeling unwanted, didnt know the stomach stuff and wish they'd gone in to that further (ive got a missus who spent the last 6/7 years with an undiagnosed stomach ailment which turned out to be crohns, its been depressing stuff) they glossed over him i spose shitting on the other 2 and demanding more royalties and i think disappointingly the stopped shy of his suicide, i wanted them to pick up on his comments during the film about his daughter and his growing up with no loving father etc and explore that, it also went a bit quiet when CL came in to it, it wasnt afraid of the negative portrayal of either of them but the others who had been interviewed throughout suddenly disappeared after she came in to it (and i did have an opinion on her, it didnt change...utter bellend) 

all of that said its a well put together documentary, the art style is great, they way they present recordings and his numerous scribblings worked, i liked the way they used the remixes and edits of the music, smells like teen spirit being a good example, its just for a long, deep, well put together documentary it jsut felt like something missing for me

On 08/02/2016 at 15:57, theboyangel said:

Yes  I liked that film. Eddie Marsan has been brilliant in everything i have seen him in.

• Like 2

For shame I went to see Dad's Army last night as my mate is a huge fan of the TV show

it had a few moments that made me chuckle but it's hard to describe the film as a comedy ( in fact I'm not really sure where you would bracket it)

Pike is just the bloke out the Inbetweeners playing the bloke he plays in the Inbetweeners , Bill Nighy is playing Bill Nighy and Michael Gambon is just absolutely fantastic , he probably dishes up a better supporting role than anything that will buy a golden statue at the end of the month .

Zeta Jones is looking old for 46 another one that seems to have ruined her looks with lip fillers and the like

they also decided to shoe horn in every famous catchphrase so we randomly got a "they don't like it up them " when there was no logical reason for it to have been said  

4 /10 We're doomed. Doomed

I've extolled the virtues of the Christopher Guest 'mockumentaries' a few times before on here, but If you haven't seen any of them then they are well worth tracking down.

I've re-watched these two again recently and they are just sublime comedies:

movie_32530.jpg

A+Mighty+Wind.png

Waiting for Guffman and For Your Consideration are great too. 

• Like 3

Just saw Dads Army. Thought they did a great job of it. Is what it should have been - a really nice homage to the show and nothing more.

Thought the yellow in Pike's scarf actually made it even more like a Villa scarf - yellow is basically the third colour of the club anyway.

What makes a film a good film for a plane journey?

I once heard of a man who started watching '12 Years a Slave' on a plane. Is that an appropriate context in which to watch that film? Or does the context in which you watch it not matter?

I watched one of the Harry Potter films on a plane, and that terrible film 'Serendipity'. Both, I think, pass as OK films to watch on the plane.

trying to think what i watched last time, definitely that bradley cooper sniper film and im not sure why because the picture and sound was shit, i also watched get hard which i thought was a bit more suitable, complete throw away film, might have watched the last F&F, xmen and avengers films too

ive also watched all of the pacific in one sitting on a plane

Â