The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

First trailer for part 2 of the Hobbit, the Desolation of Smaug

http://youtu.be/fnaojlfdUbs

...a wild Smaug appears!

Seems like its continuing away from the storyline in the book.. Legolas isn't mentioned in the book, also for some reason I had pictured the elven forest king with brown hair

Been thinking about this this morning after reading Spielberg & Lucas predict the massive decline in the Movie industry. 

Which do you prefer more, modern cinema or modern TV shows? Ignoring the cinema experience itself. Just the content viewed on the same screen. 

To me that's like asking if you prefer water or hamburgers. I can answer it but they're very different things.

I'd say TV shows. Good ones obviously. The amount of time you invest in them feels somehow rewarding. A good TV show you can be literally watching for years and years. There's something about that time that I enjoy (that's not to say I'm not prone to blasting through a series in a couple of days as well!)

Movies are much less of an investment.

the-iceman-movie-poster-01-461x600.jpg?w

Going to see this later.

I've been excited about seeing it for a while now as I thoroughly enjoyed the book. The general consensus seems to be that it's a little bit one dimensional from a narrative perspective but Michael Shannon's performance carries the movie.

Man of Steel was different than I expected. A bit of a CGI feat at times, but it looked good as Snyder films do. Nothing special, but I enjoyed it. Wouldn't be surprised if the critics don't like it. But who gives a shit if it's fun to watch.

Man of Steel was different than I expected. A bit of a CGI feat at times, but it looked good as Snyder films do. Nothing special, but I enjoyed it. Wouldn't be surprised if the critics don't like it. But who gives a shit if it's fun to watch.

I keep thinking yours is a Death in June avatar, but I don't think it is. Is it?

Does he say 'KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!' at any point?

I thought Man of Steel was a big mess really. I thought it had some potential, but decided just to go a bit Matrix Revolutions with it.

Edited by Oaks

I've just booked tickets for the Giant Screen for Man of Steel.

I'm not expecting a masterpiece (it is Zach Snyder after all, and Goyer's not exactly a great writer either...) but if it's pretty and fun and a laugh, and at least makes Superman somewhat exciting, I'll be happy.

I am going to see superman next week, I'm not really that bothered about superman, as a hero he doesn't really interest me at all. He is a boring hero, has every strength imaginable and his only weakness is a rock from another planet.

I would love to see how he got on in a pub brawl with 15 little chav's bouncing around him waving bottles of WKD in the air (do people still drink WKD?)

I'm going because I have realized that the cinema keeps me out of the pub and saves me from getting absolutely twatted on a Friday night.

having said all that...I actually do want to see this film, I never saw the last one but this one looks at least semi decent

I keep thinking yours is a Death in June avatar, but I don't think it is. Is it?

Nah, it's the lead villain from the upcoming Thor movie.

I saw 'Man Of Steel' earlier today in the IMAX and thought it was very enjoyable. Sure, bits of it are a bit messy and it's all a little too serious at times, yet it's still very entertaining.

The effects were great at times and some of the flying scenes were done so well. It's Snyder's best film in my opinion.

• Like 1

Â