The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I decided on a strategic cinema visit despite the weather. I live within walking distance so it wasn't too bad, and it paid off as the cinema was completely empty save myself and a few staff. I went to see Django Unchained.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, it is easily his best film since Jackie Brown. Yes, it is very violent, comically at times, but it is the violence that is never shown that really hits home, specifically during the 'mandigo' fight. Waltz is fantastic, I could watch him read the yellow pages. So too DiCaprio, who is perfectly suited to that role despite being the opposite of everything he's done. Samuel L is also very good. The main problem is the final act, or to be precise, a cameo from QT himself in a scene that is completely pointless. It sucks the life out of the film when it really should have ended. However, there are 140 minutes of a terrific film, and I'd recommend it.

I should add more on the slavery front. It is dealt with well, at no time do you feel the constant 'n' words or violence it gratuitous, but it is all within this over-the-top, cartoonish world. That is not to say the treatment of the slaves is an easy watch, at times it is difficult but there is always, at the back of your mind, the realisation that the scene will end and you will be back in Tarantino country. I'm still waiting for a mainstream film to tackle it head on. Maybe Steve McQueen's new film 'Twelve Years A Slave' will be that.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

due to snow and "working from home" ive smashed sky movies

cleanskin -uk terror film, secret cell planning UK bomb plot, off the map old school agent cracking skulls getting to the bottom of things saves everyone, not that great, bean is ok, the rest of the cast isnt that great, the story isnt clever enough, the insight as to why they hate our western ways really isnt written well enough (asian guy who hates the west but has an english gf story could have gone somewhere and been interesting but was poorly written)

wanderlust - paul judd and jennifer anniston hate new york, lose all their money, live in a commune she loves it he hates it, bit shit, not very funny

this mean war - the gf loved it, i managed it... seen worse rom coms

the grey - its ok, i dont like taken and arent fussed about neeson's new found roles, glad they found inventive ways to kill them all off (if you think them all dying is a spoiler then its really not, its obvious after around 30 seconds) not sure about end

Watched The Guard last night, excellent film, Brendan Gleeson is superb in it.

This morning I watched That'll Be The Day, the David Essex 70's film and it was every bit as excellent as I recalled, I have its sequel to watch later.

• Like 1

Saw Dredd last night. Absolutely superb. Urban was great, the story was great and the atmosphere was spot on. I loved Ma-ma as the villain. Probably my favourite action film since Die Hard.

Only thing I felt was missing was that I'd like to have seen a bit more of Mega City One outside of the peach trees complex and it maybe could have been a bit more future-y but I'm just being petty.

9/10.

Watched dark knight rises last night was pretty disappointed compared to the other two

I was too. Didn't really understand the hype around it. Was good. But nothing special.

I'm still trying to figure out what's so good about Argo. Why is it winning awards?

I'm still trying to figure out what's so good about Argo. Why is it winning awards?

i loved it, really is stranger than fiction stuff, thought it was well casted and acted, the only bit i didnt like was the tension they tried to create at the end, i knew i was going to love it as soon as the 80s style studio credits came up at the start

I've rewatched Dredd over the last couple of days too - stands up to a repeat viewing or two. Brilliant fun.

The 2D transfer on the bluray is rough as a badgers todger though. Has moments where, considering it's a pretty cheap film all in all, it looks fantastic, and then other moments where it's in knock off DVD territory for picture quality.

But still, such good fun, start to end. Really disappointing we won't see Karl Urban donning the helmet again, he knocks the character out of the park.

Saw Django yesterday.

Excellent.

Unfortunately, the experience was spoiled by the dick head sat behind us. Despite our protests, which fell on deaf ears, he spent the film sacking his teeth, laughing hysterically at all the violence, shouting "boom boom boom" every time Django fired a shot, saying "djangoooooo" every time, and I mean every time, django's name was mentioned, and just providing various insightful commentaries such as "Americans dem ting blud man baaaaaad man"

So yeah. Good film, but my enjoyment of it was significantly tainted

Saw Django yesterday.

Excellent.

Unfortunately, the experience was spoiled by the dick head sat behind us. Despite our protests, which fell on deaf ears, he spent the film sacking his teeth, laughing hysterically at all the violence, shouting "boom boom boom" every time Django fired a shot, saying "djangoooooo" every time, and I mean every time, django's name was mentioned, and just providing various insightful commentaries such as "Americans dem ting blud man baaaaaad man"

So yeah. Good film, but my enjoyment of it was significantly tainted

The main reason why I don't go the cinema much anymore! Was he on his own or in a group?

i feel for ya...one of the reasons i hate going to the cinema, being sat next to some socially inadequate bell end who doesn't have the capacity to be quiet

I went to see The Hobbit at the IMAX and saw a youth group in the queue (about 15 of them) and i just knew i would be planted right in the middle of them

ruined it for me

thats why now i try to go to the smaller "arty" cinemas because to put it bluntly it keeps out the riff raff

On his own. I think he might have been a bit... Mental.

We did consider trying to get him chucked out, but he wasn't really that bad for the first half of the film. It was only really due ng the climax of the film that he got really annoying, by which point it seemed a bit pointless to get him chucked out.

Unusually my experience of a film was a improved just a little by the audience when I saw Gangster Squad. The film's alright, forgettable stuff really, but the woman behind me's whispered but still excited reactions to everything will forever mean that film sticks with me.

God why doesn't he take them off?! Take them offffffffff!!!!

Oh my god it's a set up... I think it's a set up... it's a set up oh god!

Is that Sean Penn? It's Sean Penn. I don't like Sean Penn do I?

Well thats alright then.

It genuinely got funnier as the film went on, and at the end she turned to her partner and completely dead pan said 'I quite enjoyed that' before the credits had started rolling, the final scene still playing out. I think he knew, to be honest. We knew she'd enjoyed it, anyway.

Unusually my experience of a film was a improved just a little by the audience when I saw Gangster Squad. The film's alright, forgettable stuff really, but the woman behind me's whispered but still excited reactions to everything will forever mean that film sticks with me.

God why doesn't he take them off?! Take them offffffffff!!!!

Oh my god it's a set up... I think it's a set up... it's a set up oh god!

Is that Sean Penn? It's Sean Penn. I don't like Sean Penn do I?

Well thats alright then.

It genuinely got funnier as the film went on, and at the end she turned to her partner and completely dead pan said 'I quite enjoyed that' before the credits had started rolling, the final scene still playing out. I think he knew, to be honest. We knew she'd enjoyed it, anyway.

I think I may have given the people round me some entertainment the other day at the cinema... Went to see the impossible (pretty good, if a little harrowing knowing that so many people died)... Unfortunately I'm squimish to blood and so after one particular scene my body decided to react to the blood and I passed out, the missis who has never seen me faint before said I was twitching and started letting out a loud high pitched noise... Must've been interesting to see lol

Edited by mikeyp102

I've rewatched Dredd over the last couple of days too - stands up to a repeat viewing or two. Brilliant fun.

The 2D transfer on the bluray is rough as a badgers todger though. Has moments where, considering it's a pretty cheap film all in all, it looks fantastic, and then other moments where it's in knock off DVD territory for picture quality.

But still, such good fun, start to end. Really disappointing we won't see Karl Urban donning the helmet again, he knocks the character out of the park.

Is he not signing for the sequel? Pity that.

No, the film was a flop - it cost **** all on the scale of modern action movies but didn't make a penny, it struggled in the UK and did badly in the US and other territories. They're flogging off the props on eBay soon. The only way it'd get a sequel would be if it did absolutely obscene money on home media.

I think the best bet for more live action Dredd would be to hope someone like HBO fancies a crack at a miniseries. But that won't happen.

Â