The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I think it's better in pretty much every way.

I disagree entirely with Rapace being better than Mara (if you're talking purely about looks, then fair enough, each to their own (although I'd disagree on that as well)). Mara's version is much much closer to how Salander is portrayed in the book than Rapace's (which was miles off both in personality and looks), although Mara's still falls short of nailing it down entirely, although I'm not sure you could ever nail that character on screen.

The film is longer, which it badly badly needed. The Swedish version still includes the majority of stuff from the book, but crams it into a much shorter time frame and as a result the whole thing seems rushed. There's no time to digest anything, it's just throwing stuff at you every second and it suffers.

Particularly the part where his daughter comes to stay and it's how he figures out the bible quotations from Harriet's diary. I can't remember exactly how the Swedish version handled it, but I remember thinking it wasn't done very well. In the book, that's a major plot point and the Swedish version glossed over it, IIRC

Daniel Craig compared to Nyqvist isn't even close. Again, more to do with the characters in the book than the actors. Nyqvist just isn't anywhere near how Blomkvist should be.

The film as a whole is just better, imo. It's got a better director, higher production values and a better cast. Whilst none of that SHOULD always matter, in this case it does. The film handles the plot a lot better as a result, and the tension and character devlopment unfolds way better in the Hollywood version.

it's far from a perfect film, and it has annoying things, like the whole some people having Swedish accents and some people not, or the slight tweaking of the ending (although I don't think that added or took anything away from the film, just served to shorten an already long film without hurting the story)

But I don't see it as a remake of the Swedish version. Rather a "reimagining" of the book. It's a different film based on the same book, rather than a new film based on the old film... if that makes sense.

If the Hollywood version had come out first, I don't think there would even be a debate. But because the Swedish was the original and it's in foreign, I think people think it's better.

For me Craig didn't really represent Blomqvist well at all. The bloke is a journalist - to have James Bond knobbing about was huge miscasting IMO. Rapace as Lisbeth, whilst I agree didn't totally capture the character in the book gave a better performance overall than Mara.

I will also conceede that the Fincher version is slicker and has been shot better.

For me Craig didn't really represent Blomqvist well at all. The bloke is a journalist - to have James Bond knobbing about was huge miscasting IMO. Rapace as Lisbeth, whilst I agree didn't totally capture the character in the book gave a better performance overall than Mara.

I will also conceede that the Fincher version is slicker and has been shot better.

Blomqkvist is a womaniser. He's supposed to be a cool, slick, handsome, intelligent, charming man.

I think apart from the accent, Craig got it pretty much spot on. The fact that he's James Bond shouldn't really matter, but to be honest, James Bond isn't a million miles away form the type of man Blomqkvist is (apart from the secret agent bit).

Rapace, I guess it's down to opinion. For me, she was much too socially aware to be Salander. In the book, she's so socially inept it's almost funny. Rapace (or rather the part) didn't capture that at all. Probably more appropriate for film, but not close to the book.

And physical appearance, ok they dressed her as a goth, but I think she's too attractive and much MUCH too heavily built (Rapace is ripped) to give the appearance of Salander, who's specifically written to be frail, tiny, and not (conventionally at least) attractive. Her strength is meant to be completely surprising and her intimidation brought on by the fact she's clearly a bit mental and will hurt or kill you without a second thought. Where as Rapace looks like she could crush your balls without breaking a sweat.

I don't think Mara's is spot on either, as I said, but I think it's a better effort than Rapace's.

None of this is to say I didn't like the Swedish version. I did. But I thinkt he Hollywood one is just a much better effort all round.

John Carter is strangely enjoyable rubbish - there's nothing, besides the CGI (and even that is only from a technical standpoint - the art design is hopeless) that's any good, and a lot of it is downright shit (the entire plot, all of the acting, the dialogue...), but it passes a couple of hours in an inoffensive family friendly actioner way. It verges on so shit it's alright at times - James Purefoy being basically comically aware that he's in a shit movie and playing it up.

I also agree with Stevo on the US version of TGWTDT, having also rewatched it recently. It's laughably superior to the Swedish original. The only thing the original has on Fincher's version is getting there first and more consistent accents.

Edited by Chindie

The only thing the original has on Fincher's version is getting there first

That's the key for me. I genuinely think if the Swedish version came out after the Hollywood version, people wouldn't give it the time of day.

Trying to watch "300", and haven't determined if it's total shit yet.

Anyone seen it?

I haven't seen it because I can't bring myself to watch something that was filmed entirely in a green room with the surroundings added in later. I'd pretty much be telling myself that throughout the entire film so I'm saving myself the bother.

I also just found out Johnny Depp's production company has the rights to Shantaram. I can not wait to see that made into a film but I'll tell you if Johnny casts himself as Lin then it'll probably be shit. When I was reading the book, I said it's a Russell Crowe part, then lo-and-behold I hear Russell is extremely interested in the role. I really hope Johnny sees the light and casts someone appropriate. And if it's not at least a 3 hour film it won't be anywhere near long enough.

They've had the rights for a while now and were starting to work on the film a few years ago, with Depp as the lead, if I'm not mistaken. I think it got shelved in 2010 or 2011, but it's still there for the future.

I bought the book a while ago but have still never read it. Heard very good things, though.

Â