The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 03/02/2023 at 14:08, Designer1 said:

Rewatched this last night for the first time in around 20 years.

spacer.png

It's certainly not lost any of its power. It is a particularly grim piece of work with only the occasional slivers of light and levity, but its absolutely engrossing and the central performance from Brad Davis is superb.

Such a shame that he (Davis) died so young as I can imagine he'd have a good body of work by now.

If you've never seen it, get on it ASAP (it's on Netflix).

As a kid I loved this, I read the book as well, it is an excellent read and if you haven't already, and are looking for something to read, I highly recommend it. I haven't seen the film in decades either so its gone up to next on my list.

• Like 1

Just back from watching this...

spacer.png

Yeah, it's definitely on the 'Good Shyamalan' team and even though there are some plotholes and odd character decisions, it's streamlined and tautly directed with the small cast doing a good job with each role (particularly impressed with Dave Bautista who is turning into quite an accomplished character actor).

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Dare i ask?!

Its a very divisive movie Dem.

Some people have absolutely loathed the whole thing but many have found it to be very unsettling and bold.

It's certainly a million miles away from more traditional horror.

I admired it, but it didn't completely land for me.

Certainly not bad for a film that only cost 15k to make.

Edited by Designer1
  • Thanks 1

Watched Coda last night. Yes, it's a bit of a generic feel-good coming of age family comedy drama, but I really enjoyed it. Even when you know the beats coming if the actors pull you in, its still a really enjoyable experience, plus great to see so much deaf representation on screen, this and The Sound of Metal have both been excellent for that

• Like 2

80c2d5f287d1c9d8d3272d988a8506ee917cf2d3d754d306e0bea05b2bbb18a29363b107244e44ea

Knight of Cups (Terence Malick) - Great visually, interestingly edited.

tumblr_ppdqbgSdht1u23w1wo1_r1_540.jpg

Spring in a Small Town (Fei Mu) - Pretty much a masterpiece, I liked everything about it.

Edited by useless

Â