The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Saw Dune last week with my 9 year old daughter and we both loved it, I think anyone that can't sit through long-winded films, or obviously hates sci-fis will dislike it. 

We went to the new swanky Dolby Atmos cinema in the Broadway Plaza and its definitely a film you want to see at either that or an IMAX cinema. The visuals and sound were something I've never experienced before and I was totally blown away. 

As for the film itself, I echo what other people have said, it would probably be perfect for a TV show and it's surprising no one has picked it up before it was adapted into a movie. I've just started reading (audiobook) the novel now and really enjoying that also. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Saw Dune last week with my 9 year old daughter and we both loved it, I think anyone that can't sit through long-winded films, or obviously hates sci-fis will dislike it. 

We went to the new swanky Dolby Atmos cinema in the Broadway Plaza and its definitely a film you want to see at either that or an IMAX cinema. The visuals and sound were something I've never experienced before and I was totally blown away. 

As for the film itself, I echo what other people have said, it would probably be perfect for a TV show and it's surprising no one has picked it up before it was adapted into a movie. I've just started reading (audiobook) the novel now and really enjoying that also. 

Well to be fair there's already two miniseries from about twenty years ago (scyfy did one and I think BBC did one?), plus the Lynch film where Sting is covered in baby oil and someone milks a cat, plus the attempted Jadorowski film that went nowhere (but spawned a famous documentary that is meant to be really interesting).

I think it was viewed as a bit of a cursed property until very recently!

Im going to see Dune tomorrow.

I so frickin hyped!, massive fan of the books since i was a kid (25+ years ago), i feel like i have been waiting my whole life for Dune to be done justice to on the big screen, and from what i hear Villeneuve has done the business.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

People have tried to adapt it, there was the terrible 1984 movie, but also there was the Dune TV series (which was ok-ish), and the Children of Dune mini series (which i actually really liked), but the argument was always that Dune was so wide reaching, so in-depth and a colossal piece of work, that it couldnt be adapted to film properly.

However, from what i have heard reviews wise, it looks like Villeneuve has probably gone and done it.

8 hours ago, MaVilla said:

People have tried to adapt it, there was the terrible 1984 movie, but also there was the Dune TV series (which was ok-ish), and the Children of Dune mini series (which i actually really liked), but the argument was always that Dune was so wide reaching, so in-depth and a colossal piece of work, that it couldnt be adapted to film properly.

However, from what i have heard reviews wise, it looks like Villeneuve has probably gone and done it.

He's done half of it. He's definitely done well with that half though. From the reviews and so on I half imagined he had done the whole book, so I was surprised it was just part 1/2.

Edited by Rolta

On 16/10/2021 at 08:19, Big Salad said:

Halloween Kills was absolutely fantastic, even better than the first one. Hated it got delayed from last year but well worth the wait, theater was jam packed also. Not gonna spoil it for those yet to see it but let us just say it ended very nicely in setting up the third one that comes out next year.

Wow, I thought it was truly awful

56 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

About half way through reading Dune and they simply have to make a part 2, absolutely loving it so far. 

Also, how much did George Lucas steal from this?! 🤣

lots my friend.

FYI, to get the full ark of the story, you really need to read up to and including Children of Dune to get the full scope of the story.

For semi die hard nerds i would say also try to read God Emperor of Dune, but as above, the core premise of the ark can be seen as long as you read up to Children of Dune.

There are more books after this, but they are more of a wider expansion of the universe and follow through on the ark, so honestly i think someone could read or not read them, and still get the feeling of the series.

ie:

Must read (to understand the full story ark): Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune.

Good to read (gives deeper understanding to the story ark): God Emperor of Dune

For die hard fans but not required (further expansion, but not really required unless u are a nerd like me): Heretics of Dune, Hunters of Dune.

Dont read (imo): Anything by Frank Herbert's son, Brian Herbert, Brian Herbert wrote numerous Dune novels after Frank Herbert died, but they are a poor imitation imo, and actually wreck the story as its basically poor fan fiction level writing, also Brian Herbert took the story in a direction that tbh, i dont believe for one second was in Frank Herbert's head (thats my own opinion though).

On 25/10/2021 at 22:25, mykeyb said:

Agreed.

The ending... 😐

Spoiler

I get it... it's a horror film. I get it... it's Michael Myers. But how does he not die at the end? There's about 50 of them circling him on the floor with every weapon you can think of yet he still manages to get back up and kill everyone. Getting a bit drab now.

• Like 1

On 25/10/2021 at 22:25, mykeyb said:

Overall I enjoyed it but I'll admit to being a Myers fanboy so my viewpoint is probably slightly skewed. It was a real 'patchwork' of a movie, with some things working and some things being absolute bobbins.

Spoiler

The Good

The firefighter scene
The 1978 flashbacks
The finale (I liked it because it proved once and for all that he's not supposed to be human - he's an evil force of nature that's going to be incredibly difficult to finish off)

The Bad

Bringing back Sheriff Brackett and Marion - Just why? Why would she especially have any long term attachment to the town and Myers (especially when Halloween 2 is non canon). Brackett just felt like badly done fan service. Poor C.Cyphers looks terrible.
Bring back Tommy and Lindsey I could kind of understand, but then ruining it by having one of the most OTT performances I've seen in recent times from A.M Hall. He was terrible!
Using a gay couple as a bit of comedic relief - really? 
Sidelining Jamie Lee for pretty much the whole running time - unforgivable.
Most of the dialogue was terrible - the days of bad dialogue in horror movies has mostly moved on but films like this just drag it all back.

The 'Get in the **** sea!'

"Evil dies tonight!!!"  **** off.

So yeah, after the excellent Halloween 2018 I expected more - hopefully Ends will be a decent finale.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Overall I enjoyed it but I'll admit to being a Myers fanboy so my viewpoint is probably slightly skewed. It was a real 'patchwork' of a movie, with some things working and some things being absolute bobbins.

Reveal hidden contents

The Good

The firefighter scene
The 1978 flashbacks
The finale (I liked it because it proved once and for all that he's not supposed to be human - he's an evil force of nature that's going to be incredibly difficult to finish off)

The Bad

Bringing back Sheriff Brackett and Marion - Just why? Why would she especially have any long term attachment to the town and Myers (especially when Halloween 2 is non canon). Brackett just felt like badly done fan service. Poor C.Cyphers looks terrible.
Bring back Tommy and Lindsey I could kind of understand, but then ruining it by having one of the most OTT performances I've seen in recent times from A.M Hall. He was terrible!
Using a gay couple as a bit of comedic relief - really? 
Sidelining Jamie Lee for pretty much the whole running time - unforgivable.
Most of the dialogue was terrible - the days of bad dialogue in horror movies has mostly moved on but films like this just drag it all back.

The 'Get in the **** sea!'

"Evil dies tonight!!!"  **** off.

So yeah, after the excellent Halloween 2018 I expected more - hopefully Ends will be a decent finale.

I preferred the first one I think, I like some aspects of kills, like it really has a 70/80s feel but l, although it's just entertaining hokum, still find it a stretch that he never dies, which of course he must never do.

I wish one of the big inventive talented directors would have a crack at the genre, just for the buffs. 

58 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Off to see the French Dispatch later.

Really looking forward to it, I love a bit of Wes 🥰

It's one I'm probably not going to bother with. I like some of his movies (Isle of Dogs, Fantastic Mr Fox, Royal Tenenbaums), but they're mostly a miss for me. 

One of those directors I don't really get. 

Â