The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just now, maqroll said:

I read that Tolkien hated Dune.

Yeah, iirc it was something to do with the dark nature of Dune he didnt like, where as LOTR is tbh quite......happy and positive (in the sense of idealism etc).

Personally i love Dune for its darker nature, i find it very cerebral and thought provoking, and probably more relevant to today, than when it was written!

• Like 1

I finally watched Trainspotting 2. T1 was a film that I really connected with being the same age as the cast and also leading a reckless lifestyle at the time. On my all time list and close to the top. So I was worried T2 would ruin the legacy of the original. It's not a great movie but it's sort of just a tribute film to the original, and it's effective in that specific way. Ultimately they probably should have just left it alone but they didn't ruin everything either. 6.3/10. 

• Like 3

tumblr_n6i5kjRJxO1r8bxs1o1_500.gif

Pierrot le Fou - I liked it but it wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be after the first thirty minutes or so, still good though.

2308cdebad705faa1da7ce07dd01cfe35edc9eb8

The Double Life of Veronique - I still like it, probably enjoyed it more this time, as last time I watched it not long after watching Three Colors so was probably making an unfair comparison.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Tolkien on Dune

"It is impossible for an author still writing to be fair to another author working along the same lines. At least I find it so. In fact I dislike Dune with some intensity, and in that unfortunate case it is much the best and fairest to another author to keep silent and refuse to comment."

Not for everyone ey 😄

12 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Yeah, iirc it was something to do with the dark nature of Dune he didnt like, where as LOTR is tbh quite......happy and positive (in the sense of idealism etc).

Personally i love Dune for its darker nature, i find it very cerebral and thought provoking, and probably more relevant to today, than when it was written!

As much as I love LOTR, this is what I like least about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'm officially interested now - that looks way better than I was expecting it to be. I thought it'd be related to Toy Story (which obviously is great for kids) but that looks like a proper space adventure. Not many dud Pixar films either, so the signs are good!

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

What, so he's an actual space ranger now?  That pretty much destroys the character from the Toy Story films.

I think the idea is that this is a film that would exist in the toy story universe. Like how Woody’s 1950’s cowboy shows existed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not 100% sure how to embed videos on the site, but here goes. For those that enjoyed Dune there's an interesting 15 min video here where the director breaks down one scene and talks through all the decisions they made - I thought it was interesting mostly because I hadn't realised quite how much thought seems to go into literally every moment of a film.

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I'm not 100% sure how to embed videos on the site, but here goes. For those that enjoyed Dune there's an interesting 15 min video here where the director breaks down one scene and talks through all the decisions they made - I thought it was interesting mostly because I hadn't realised quite how much thought seems to go into literally every moment of a film.

This is worth watching just for Villeneuve's voice

18 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think the idea is that this is a film that would exist in the toy story universe. Like how Woody’s 1950’s cowboy shows existed.

that's how i saw it too

this is a film from that universe and then the buzz toy is based on this film and the toy story films are based on those toys actually being alive, Andy saw this film then wanted the buzz toy, this buzz is not a toy and therefore the change to the look and the voice actor makes sense

it reads like a risk on paper but the trailer definitely looks good

• Like 1

Possibly controversial movie opinion - Red Dragon, the Brett Ratner adaptation of the first Hannibal Lector novel, is better than Michael Mann's adaptation, Manhunter. Mann's film is more auteuristic, with his overblown 80s style, but Ratner's is a better whole, even with its very meat and potatoes style. It also benefits from a stellar cast, even with Hopkins gnawing the set on occasion and Norton at times sounding a bit bored.

Great film and firmly second in Hopkins Lector trilogy.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

I'm looking for a film and I don't think I'm typing the right words into Google. So, I'm hoping the Scandinavian contingent on here can help me.

There is a woman who sort of wages a one woman war against the government with just a bow and arrow. She shoots down electricity pylons and the drones the government send after her. There's very little dialogue and it has a very low budget feel about it but it was excellently done. 

Anyone help?

11 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I'm looking for a film and I don't think I'm typing the right words into Google. So, I'm hoping the Scandinavian contingent on here can help me.

There is a woman who sort of wages a one woman war against the government with just a bow and arrow. She shoots down electricity pylons and the drones the government send after her. There's very little dialogue and it has a very low budget feel about it but it was excellently done. 

Anyone help?

Terminator 2?

• Haha 2

Â