The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Nope, not having it, the hobbit trilogy was garbage, a 3 hour film stretched out to 3 2 hour films, the CGI in them is absolutely criminal, the battle in the 3rd film being the worst offender, seriously the battle in the opening of fellowship is better than 5 armies 

• Like 2

I'm a massive LOTR fan, love the books and the movies and FOTR is my favourite movie of all time. I thought the Hobbit was awful. CGI was overdone and not even well done, made up characters and storylines that didn't even happen in the books. I was gutted because I was looking forward to it so much.

• Like 1

Really hated the Hobbit trilogy.

Way to much poor CGI, dwarven slapstick, elven parkour and Peter Jackson created characters not in the books.

He basically took the worst things from the LOTR series and made 3 terrible films.

Bilbo is hardly in the last film, that basically circles around someone named Albert.

Oh what could have been if Guillermo del Toro had stayed on the project...

• Like 2

I adore LOTR. I love the books, I love the Hobbit. The LOTR adaptations aren't perfect, but they are great movies. 

The Hobbit trilogy I like more than many but it's a far far worse group of movies than LOTR. They started making it without finished scripts and basically winged it. And you can tell. Jackson used it as a platform to experiment, making a series of movies he didn't really want to make to do something he did want to do, play with technical advancement in cinema. And that didn't work either. 

The first movie is too slow and too knowing in its humour that betrays is quaint origins, as well as being too indulgent. The second is better but still takes things slightly too far, and has that utterly bizarre GoPro footage and stupid ending. And the third is an afterthought that didn't understand the best parts of that story's end and somehow managed to take a really cool part of the extended story and do simultaneously nothing with it, and absolute shit with it too.

The look is wrong all through it, the CGI isn't bad but the design is, the CGI orcs don't stand up to the practical effects but it's the designs that hurt the movie. They aren't good. And that is true of the entire series. They've tried to tone down the world they made with LOTR to suit a younger audience, but maintain that relationship between them, so you get this weird midway point that didn't work.

I still like the films for what they are, but they're such a disappointment in light of the earlier films and, frankly, what the book offers. There is a spectacular 2 part movie in the Hobbit. It isn't what Jackson have us.

The series also stands out as having one of the most obvious commercially minded edits in cinema history between the 2nd and 3rd films. If they ended the 2nd movie where they really should have, they worried nobody would watch the 3rd. So they chopped 10 mins and hastily added it to the start of the 3rd, where it sits exceptionally awkwardly. Had they not got greedy, the book breaks into 2 quite cleanly, but they wanted 3 and overindulged. Appropriately, it's messy.

• Like 1

Much prefer the animated version from 1977 called "The Hobbit"

The music in it is great and it is a fun cartoon. It can be found for free on Vimeo and probably other sites.

Also would have liked to see the second part of Ralph Bakshi's animated Lord of the Rings.

Really liked it when I was a kid as back then I could only dream of an actual Lord of the Ring's movie.

Edit: Fun fact is that Peter Jackson stole/borrowed quite a few scenes from the Bakshi movie frame by frame and used in his first 2 LOTR movies

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

I like the Hobbit trilogy quite a lot, but some of the fighting does go on too much. The 'escape from Smaug' bit at the end of the second one is about 15 minutes too long, and the 'barrel riding' bit before is nicely designed but the fighting is a bit silly. 

I guess I agree that it should have been two movies, but the problem with that is that if you do everything up to Smaug attacking Lake Town, there's not much left for the second movie. The story is unbalanced towards the first part, which is why I think they cut that into two (and obviously to make more money, of course). 

I don't agree with the comments above about the designs looking rubbish, I love how they made Mirkwood and Lake Town look. Smaug himself was pretty good as well. 

Overall, though, they might be a decent effort but they're way off the quality of the LOTR trilogy which are/were genuinely spectacular and amongst my favourite movies. 

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I like the Hobbit trilogy quite a lot, but some of the fighting does go on too much. The 'escape from Smaug' bit at the end of the second one is about 15 minutes too long, and the 'barrel riding' bit before is nicely designed but the fighting is a bit silly. 

I guess I agree that it should have been two movies, but the problem with that is that if you do everything up to Smaug attacking Lake Town, there's not much left for the second movie. The story is unbalanced towards the first part, which is why I think they cut that into two (and obviously to make more money, of course). 

I don't agree with the comments above about the designs looking rubbish, I love how they made Mirkwood and Lake Town look. Smaug himself was pretty good as well. 

Overall, though, they might be a decent effort but they're way off the quality of the LOTR trilogy which are/were genuinely spectacular and amongst my favourite movies. 

You're not far from where I am I think. I'm actually in the middle of a rewatch of the extended editions as we speak. I like some of the design, Smaug isn't the Smaug that's been in my brain for 20 years but it isn't a bad take at all, a lot of the environments are pretty good, but the dwarves are too happy caricature of the dwarves we already had, ask the orcs look downright bad bar maybe Azog, maybe, the Goblin King is a disgrace...

Also I think doing a 2 part movie you break at the barrel ride. Bin the Necromancer stuff (it's done so badly it's no loss, even though it should have been a brilliant tie between the series), bin the family friendly additions that Jackson padded everything with, and you have a nice 2 part, 6 hour framework of a good movie with a natural break. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Chindie said:

You're not far from where I am I think. I'm actually in the middle of a rewatch of the extended editions as we speak. I like some of the design, Smaug isn't the Smaug that's been in my brain for 20 years but it isn't a bad take at all, a lot of the environments are pretty good, but the dwarves are too happy caricature of the dwarves we already had, ask the orcs look downright bad bar maybe Azog, maybe, the Goblin King is a disgrace...

Also I think doing a 2 part movie you break at the barrel ride. Bin the Necromancer stuff (it's done so badly it's no loss, even though it should have been a brilliant tie between the series), bin the family friendly additions that Jackson padded everything with, and you have a nice 2 part, 6 hour framework of a good movie with a natural break. 

All very fair comments, don't think I disagree with any of that.  

Edited by HanoiVillan

Dr Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog (Dr Horrible tries to get in to the Evil League of Evil).

Originally a series of blogs, stitched together into a dvd about 45 minutes long.

I think it was the first superhero thing where I've ever put down the other thing I've been doing and concentrated on it.

I'd give it a solid 7/10 and would watch again.

Oh yes, and it's a sort of musical.

Just watched Halloween. When we go to bed we normally lock up and make ourselves a drink each then whoever is last up turns the lights off before coming up. It's fair to say it was a scramble tonight to try and be the first one up. I even made sure I brushed my teeth first so she had to turn the lights out before coming into bed. I'm a big wimp I know :)

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 3

Ides of March last night. There's a promising movie in there somewhere with interesting ideas, but it got very lost in clooney trying to get his politics across and self indulge and completely ruined whatever credit it may have come out with with an awful ending. I had the same look on my face as I did at the ending of arrival. A mix of disbelief and disappointment. 

Further to the Hobbit talk.. **** hell is that Necromancer stuff shit, particularly in the third movie. It's just plain bad. And then they make it worse with Blanchett's weirdly bad Galadriel doubling down on being really shit. It's actually an achievement in how bad it is. 

Smaug is the best thing in the trilogy. 

• Like 1

Â