The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Some of the most iconic scenes from the original anime movie appear to have been recreated verbatim. Which is no bad thing. 

I'll be curious to see if they end it like the movie, or finish it so the sequel is not as necessary. It wouldn't be too difficult to write it that way if it doesn't do well. 

And who knows, if it does well, we could finally see the near mythic Akira Hollywood flick produced. While GitS is a great story, anime classic, and good choice for an adaptation, Akira is, well...frankly, **** nuts in comparison. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rodders said:

Enjoyed The Kingsman again last night, introducing it to the other half. Both of us still don't care for that one scene near the very end - she absolutely hated it - which was a shame as she'd loved the rest of the film. 

I didn't like any of that movie, at all, but that moment at the end - and I know exactly which moment you're talking about - was one of the most infuriating moments I've ever had in a cinema. The sheer misogyny, just dripping off the screen. It was all I could do to prevent myself booing out loud. 

1 hour ago, hogso said:

Some of the most iconic scenes from the original anime movie appear to have been recreated verbatim. Which is no bad thing. 

I'll be curious to see if they end it like the movie, or finish it so the sequel is not as necessary. It wouldn't be too difficult to write it that way if it doesn't do well. 

And who knows, if it does well, we could finally see the near mythic Akira Hollywood flick produced. While GitS is a great story, anime classic, and good choice for an adaptation, Akira is, well...frankly, **** nuts in comparison. 

Anything that brings a live action Urotsukidoji movie closer is great by me.

• Like 1

Arrival - Awesome, though felt they had tried too hard to spell out the ending. It was pretty obvious early one, took nothing away from it being a great film though. Solid 8/10

Hell or High Water - Awesome, loved it - 8/10

Wardogs - Started really well, ended a  bit flat, interesting story though. 6/10.

32 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Watched the Bfg remake. Not impressed at all. Even the bad Giants weren't bad, they were just jovial, they should be scary.

Watched the BFG yesterday and loved it. Rylance was perfect in that role.

Watched Arrival today and can see it dividing opinion.

Has anyone seen the 1956 and 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers? If so, which one is better?

Just now, coda said:

Has anyone seen the 1956 and 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers? If so, which one is better?

78 by a mile. 

One of the most iconic final scenes in a movie ever.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I didn't like any of that movie, at all, but that moment at the end - and I know exactly which moment you're talking about - was one of the most infuriating moments I've ever had in a cinema. The sheer misogyny, just dripping off the screen. It was all I could do to prevent myself booing out loud. 

Spoiler

Misogyny, you mean when they sent the newly appointed female agent who won the training up into space, and sent the bloke who failed in to fight the bad guys?

Edited by jon_c
spoiler tagged it just in case

6 minutes ago, jon_c said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Misogyny, you mean when they sent the newly appointed female agent who won the training up into space, and sent the bloke who failed in to fight the bad guys?

Spoiler

No, I mean the moment when a female character felt compelled to offer free use of her anus as a reward for saving her life, for no obvious reason

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, V01 said:

Anything that brings a live action Urotsukidoji movie closer is great by me.

Hitler's Satanic, woman murdering, sex toy and demon summoning machine was the second one.

Staying with Japan no one seen 'Gantz:O' or Godzilla's new breath yet?

33 minutes ago, RunRickyRun said:

Bloody Sunday. What a great film. It really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday, doesn't it? You wake up in the morning, you've got to read all the Sunday papers, the kids are running round, you've got to mow the lawn, wash the car, and you think "Sunday, bloody Sunday!

tumblr_n3n5p6ePBB1rsxqqio1_500.gif

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

@HanoiVillan Re. the ending of Kingsman

Hide contents

I always took it to be a homage/pisstake (albeit turned up to 11) of the ending of 99% of James Bond movies where the ultimate prize for saving the world always seems to be  session in the sack with the leading lady.

Maybe i'm giving the writers too much credit but there you go.

Yeah same.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

@HanoiVillan Re. the ending of Kingsman

Hide contents

I always took it to be a homage/pisstake (albeit turned up to 11) of the ending of 99% of James Bond movies where the ultimate prize for saving the world always seems to be  session in the sack with the leading lady.

Maybe i'm giving the writers too much credit but there you go.

Ditto 

• Like 1

You're probably right, but I just don't think it's appropriate. I found it demeaning. That's not the only bit of the movie I found off-putting either. The moment when I realised I was supposed to laughing at a massacre was pretty revolting as well. Anyway, I need to stop talking about this movie because whenever I do I end up sounding like Jan Moir or Mary Whitehouse. 

Marvel's slate has changed a bit today. After going very quiet and pushing it back a few times, they've finally admitted to themselves that nobody on the planet wants to watch an Inhumans movie, not even the bloke that came up with the characters, so they've binned it.

Sadly they can't quite let go though so instead it's being made into an 8 part TV series with apparently 'feature film production quality' and the first 2 episodes will be shown on IMAX screens.

I'd stake every penny I own on that being rubbish. Rubbish comic, almost universally rubbish characters... And there's no way they're making 8 episodes worth of feature film standard stuff on the Inhumans, which might be more ambitious a concept than Guardians. Not a chance.

In more overt movie news, Marvel apparently made a deal with Fox over GOTG2. A character they wanted they didn't have the rights to, so made a deal with Fox that gave them the character in exchange for a Fox being able to fundamentally alter a character in Deadpool. Which might open discussions for more cooperation... Or not.

Â