The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

This.

Hide contents

the whole concept of the movie was about how powerful language is. This was the whole point, the aliens and everything else a very distant back story. The alien's language is outside of our understanding but someone who understands and can learn languages quicker and better than anyone else started becoming fluent by total immersion and when she got that fluency she was able to break out of our false concept of time. Sorry Chindie, even though you claim otherwise I don't think you quite got it if you think it was anything to do with Adams magically becoming psychic. It's a really interesting topic about how we define our walls and how different languages cause different brain patterns thus altering understanding and perception.

Sorry Darren, I do understand the movie.

I just think it's explanation of its twist, which I understand perfectly, is horseshit. Don't mistake my exaggeration for humourous effect for not understanding that the movie wants you

Spoiler

to believe that a language theory with merit (which I understand and have actually used in essays) that suggests language shapes the way the world is viewed and everything that flows from that, could be extrapolated to give someone an ability to view time differently. I understand the idea. I understand it wholly. The idea is just utterly utterly stupid, especially in a movie that beforehand has gone out of its way to portray a very grounded and methodical approach to an immense but dry task.

I understand why people like it, I understand the questions and ideas it provokes and things you can mull from it, but I think it's a deeply unsatisfying lurch for a film that it tries to fudge into its earlier approach to things.

But I do understand it. Absolutely. Despite my weakly humourous shorthand for the twist.

• Like 2

On 25 November 2016 at 11:05, villa4europe said:

he's said that he wants to do an arctic monkeys one next, he should finish what he started with oasis, show the fall from grace

I'd love to see what other stuff they had in the vaults for Supersonic, apparently they had 10 hours worth of stuff they had to whittle down to just over 2.  I guess the post-Internet era would mean there's a lot less 'unseen' stuff for a documentary about the Arctic Monkeys or latter-day Oasis, and as others have said, Turner and co just aren't as captivating central characters either.

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'd love to see what other stuff they had in the vaults for Supersonic, apparently they had 10 hours worth of stuff they had to whittle down to just over 2.  I guess the post-Internet era would mean there's a lot less 'unseen' stuff for a documentary about the Arctic Monkeys or latter-day Oasis, and as others have said, Turner and co just aren't as captivating central characters either.

Yeah in the q&a session in the cinema after the film they said they can't afford to release everything they've got so they must be paying small chunks of cash to lots of people for the footage, hopefully some people will like the film and give what they've got away

Watched Meet Joe Black over the weekend.

**** me. There's probably a good 90 minute film in there somewhere. But it's one of the slowest movies I've ever seen. There was absolutely no need for it to be over 3 hours.

19 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Spirited Away, Japanese craziness in full force. Animation was very good. It just confuses the **** out of me 

I love most of the Studio Ghibli output. Grave of the Fireflies and My Neighbour Totoro are my two favourites although I have to be in the mood for GotF as it's so relentlessly sad.

We watched When Marnie Was There the other night and that's another stand out.

19 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I unashamedly love Meet Joe Black.

Oh it's not bad. My post probably sounded too negative.

I just think if there was ever a film that was unnecessarily long, this was it.

10 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I love most of the Studio Ghibli output. Grave of the Fireflies and My Neighbour Totoro are my two favourites although I have to be in the mood for GotF as it's so relentlessly sad.

We watched When Marnie Was There the other night and that's another stand out.

I've barely seen anime.. Probably only ever three films... Akira, Spirited Away and I think Paprika (although I can't remember this at all). The imagination in then is mental.

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Oh it's not bad. My post probably sounded too negative.

I just think if there was ever a film that was unnecessarily long, this was it.

The cold lamb sandwich bit did seem superfluous!

watched saving private ryan on sunday night and then fury and schindlers list yesterday

saving private ryan ive become slightly muted to over the years, i dont think the film lives up to its incredible opening and despite some good hanks moments (the raid on the radar etc) it dips the longer it goes on, fury is a better "war is hell" film and a better band of brothers film although some of it is so obvious as a driver (the young german girl) that it doesnt work and im still not sure about the dinner table scene which could have been better, schindlers list despite having read the book and my opinion changing still gets me, its an incredibly sad film, the acting is superb, every time i watch it i seem to notice new things maybe because of its length maybe because there are a lot of stand out shocks of violence that i see past with repeat viewings (could be the same for SPR to be fair)

• Like 1

Â