The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Martin Scorsese's List of 39 Foreign Films Every Filmmaker Should See

Martin Scorsese wants you to add these gems to your watchlist—immediately.

maxresdefault_33.jpg?itok=0wgubxxo

Martin Scorsese went to film school so people like us don't have to. The history of film permeates through his body of work; the techniques of auteurs like Truffaut, Renoir, and Kurosawa are subtly collected and transformed into something completely unique. Perhaps nowhere is there a better example of how gathering influences can illuminate a filmmaker's imagination.

Marty may have film school to thank for his exposure to such influences, but for those of us who not have had the opportunity to study these films in a classroom setting, it's our duty to educate ourselves. Second to picking up a camera and just going for it, the best way to learn about cinema may indeed be to watch the films that inspired the directors that, in turn, inspire us.

raging_bull_2_0.jpg?itok=zRmL4wzt

Back in 2006, budding filmmaker Colin Levy had the privilege of meeting with Scorsese after winning an NYC-based short contest. Unfortunately for Levy, he had yet to be exposed to much of Scorsese's most celebrated films (including Taxi Driver and Goodfellas) at the time of the meeting. Fortunately for us, his limited knowledge of cinema provided Marty with the opportunity to deliver one of the most prized lists for which a self-educated filmmaker could ever ask.

In the words of Levy, "I labored over a thank-you card, in which I expressed the overwhelming impression I had gotten that I don’t know enough about anything. I especially don’t know enough about film history and foreign cinema. I asked if he had any suggestions for where to start."

He received the following note in response:

scorsese_foreign-film-list_blank.jpg?ito

• Like 2

Anyone else have a quiet bet with themselves they could name more than a few of the titles on that list before they saw it?

Metropolis, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Nosferatu were always going to be on there ;)

Also, how on earth is someone with an interest in film making not familiar with Scorsese's work?! He's one of, possibly the, most celebrated directors of the 20th Century, and one of very few who would have a fair shout at having more than 1 title in a top 100 of all time list.

3 hours ago, Brumerican said:

From that list I have only seen Napoleon Dynamite. 

Yeah, I've seen that one. I've also seen Weekend at Bernie's, and my mate lent me his Dad's copy of 400 Blowies, but he had to put the tape back, before his Dad got home.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

Anyone else have a quiet bet with themselves they could name more than a few of the titles on that list before they saw it?

Also, how on earth is someone with an interest in film making not familiar with Scorsese's work?! He's one of, possibly the, most celebrated directors of the 20th Century, and one of very few who would have a fair shout at having more than 1 title in a top 100 of all time list.

I think I surprised myself by having 14 of those listed in my collection. I will be adding some of the others before too long, I think.

He was just 19 when he won that award / met Scorsese. He'd only had a year to watch 18-rated movies at that point in his life. Because nobody watches films that are rated too old for them, right?

20 hours ago, BOF said:

No Kieslowski? Shit list.

I also find it curious that, as a big fan of Godard's oeuvre, his selection includes those three films in particular-  A bout de Souffle, sure. Bande a Part, maybe. La Weekend I love but it is proper mental (worth viewing alone for the infamous 'traffic jam from hell' tracking shot). Breathless is one of those like Chindie mentions that was always going to be listed. If I had to pick another 2 in a similar vein I suppose I'd go with Le Mepris and Pierrot le Fou, which I was under the impression have always been more crictially acclaimed.

Having looked up some of the ones I haven't heard of, might have to search out Ali: Fear Eats the Soul and The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogso said:

No Kieslowski? Shit list.

I also find it curious that, as a big fan of Godard's oeuvre, his selection includes those three films in particular-  A bout de Souffle, sure. Bande a Part, maybe. La Weekend I love but it is proper mental (worth viewing alone for the infamous 'traffic jam from hell' tracking shot). Breathless is one of those like Chindie mentions that was always going to be listed. If I had to pick another 2 in a similar vein I suppose I'd go with Le Mepris and Pierrot le Fou, which I was under the impression have always been more crictially acclaimed.

Having looked up some of the ones I haven't heard of, might have to search out Ali: Fear Eats the Soul and The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser

If you click the link, the original article contains (AFAIK legal...) links to each film in the list. Also tagging @Chindie & @choffer. as an FYI.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, coda said:

It didn't get much fanfare but it's pure quality, even Chris Pine!

He needs to be a little careful not to be typecast in that other role.  Looking forward to Hell or High Water though :thumb:

Dr Strange - one of the better Marvel films released. Tilda is terrific. Unfamiliar with the source material but looking forward to more - especially the link up with another Marvel character. Early on couldn't help but see Gregory House in those opening scenes. 

• Like 1

Â