The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

You should enjoy Civil War - a fair amount of it is Stark being hit in the face ;). I do like Stark as a character though and RDJ has basically become the character at this point so I can't quite understand the hate :)

Spiderman is fairly integral to the original Civil War plotline so he does belong in this, although it's pretty unlikely they'll be able to do the full Spiderman arc. I'd wager they do do the 'big thing' Peter Parker does in that story though. If they don't do that it really is just a case of establishing him as a thing in the MCU and add a bit of an afterthought in the movie and will be very disappointing.

Stark's character is fine, it's purely the humour that I hate about him. It's relentless and awful.

Spiderman 3 means I'm now unable to take anything Spiderman related seriously. I automatically assume it's just one huge joke. That was genuinely one of the worst films I've ever seen (certainly the worst I've seen at the cinema) and I'm yet to forgive them for it.

haha, that's a harsh outlook for Spiderman at large, even if I do agree Spiderman 3 is quite possibly the worst film I've seen in a cinema in my entire life. And I saw it twice, in two languages ( French ) ! It was at the least so bad it was hilarious, rather than just being excruciating. 

Spider-man 3 is absolutely terrible but I place most of the blame on Sam Raimi. He didn't want to do Venom but was told to include him by the studio, so he shoehorned him in but focused most of his time on Sandman, his favourite villain. Sandman was boring (because he's a crap character) and part of me thinks Raimi's petulance got the better of him and he purposefully sabotaged the Venom storyline. That's a more plausible excuse for the atrocity that was Emo Peter Parker and those ridiculous piano and Saturday Night Fever scenes, rather than assuming Raimi thought they were a good idea.

The Amazing Spider-man was decent but I trust the character will be better utilised now Marvel (mostly) have control, though I'm not all that comfortable with them using the Ultimate Spidey character and I hate that suit. Guess we'll see.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

Spiderman 3 is bad. Raimi didn't want to make it, and didn't want to make the movie Sony wanted. So it turns into the mess we have today, which used the be one of the highest grossing movies of all time.

Sony wanted to do the Symbiote story and have Venom in it, Raimi doesn't like that character at all and had it forced on him, and shoved into the movie as it stood. The Symbiote story is a full movie in its own right, combine that with the Sandman story they were planning and it's all huddled and mashed in there, and Raimi seemingly not knowing how to tell that story (and moreover not really caring) lead to all the worst parts of it. Emo Peter just doesn't work with his style for the Spiderman movies and comes off stupid.

But even with all that considered, Spiderman is a 50 year old character, one really shit movie shouldn't taint the fact that he's Marvel's poster boy and an enduringly popular character. He's so popular even the weird spin-off characters are popular.

Edit - Ginko got there first seemingly! ;)

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ginko said:

The Amazing Spider-man was decent but I trust the character will be better utilised now Marvel (mostly) have control, though I'm not all that comfortable with them using the Ultimate Spidey character and I hate that suit. Guess we'll see.

I'm not sure it is the Ultimate version of the character, is it? I'm not that familiar with the Ultimate line, but even if it was it wouldn't make that much difference really in reality would it? I know the Ultimate line did shift a few things with different characters having different plots and origins to the 616 equivalent, but didn't Bendis stay very faithful to the Peter Parker plot? Of course ultimately things take a drastic turn, hence Miles Morales, but otherwise this is just the usual Spiderman everyone knows.

I can agree to an extent with the suit. I like it as a bit of a throwback to the 60s, 70s style (just missing the web wings!), but I dislike the black additions which remind me of the modern Ben Reilly suit and also the Superior suit and don't look like a classic Spidey suit. I think the ASM2 suit will be the high water mark. That was basically bang on for the look of Spidey in the modern era.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Having a movie night, need a couple of feel good movies.

Suggestions?

Great big asses 29 - some incredible camera work.

Big Dicks' fun house - good writing.

That will never fit - a great film about 2 peppy removal men.

50 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'm not sure it is the Ultimate version of the character, is it? I'm not that familiar with the Ultimate line, but even if it was it wouldn't make that much difference really in reality would it? I know the Ultimate line did shift a few things with different characters having different plots and origins to the 616 equivalent, but didn't Bendis stay very faithful to the Peter Parker plot? Of course ultimately things take a drastic turn, hence Miles Morales, but otherwise this is just the usual Spiderman everyone knows.

I can agree to an extent with the suit. I like it as a bit of a throwback to the 60s, 70s style (just missing the web wings!), but I dislike the black additions which remind me of the modern Ben Reilly suit and also the Superior suit and don't look like a classic Spidey suit. I think the ASM2 suit will be the high water mark. That was basically bang on for the look of Spidey in the modern era.

To be fair, I'm not all that familiar with Ultimate Spidey either, but I assumed they were going down that route since this iteration of Spidey looks like he's still in high school rather than just graduating like he was in the initial trilogy and TASM.

If I recall the comics properly, Spidey is at least mid-20s if not older in Civil War.

In other news, just finished watching One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Good film and Nicholson really was superb in his prime.

Totally didn't recognise Danny DeVito though!

Edited by Ginko

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Why do I get the feeling I'm going to have to binge watch every single Marvel film except GotG?

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/48613/20150424/how-to-watch-the-full-marvel-cinematic-universe-in-order.htm

currently working my way through that, but still yet to see GotG which ive heard nothing but good about but have never really fancied the look of. 

Edited by ThisCouldBeRotterdam

34 minutes ago, Ginko said:

In other news, just finished watching One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Good film and Nicholson really was superb in his prime.

Totally didn't recognise Danny DeVito though!

Other than Tom Cruise there aren't exactly a lot of midget actors around  , who else did you think it could be ? 

10 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Why do I get the feeling I'm going to have to binge watch every single Marvel film except GotG?

Guardians is an ace film, even though it could easily be watched as a stand alone film rather than part of the marvel cinematic universe (that will obviously change with infinity wars).

I agree with what people are saying about Spider-Man 3, awful film and because of that I have never watched the Amazing spider man films.

Im in the none liking Iron Man part as well, although I agree he is good in the avengers movies.

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the thing is spiderman was 1 of about 3 story arcs that really made civil war but the set up they have now means that they cant do it, now he feels like he's been shoe horned in to give him a platform for another reboot

still think reed and sue is the best story from the comic 

They're not rebooting Spiderman again, surely? 

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Very soon the rights won't be worth keeping in that case. 

I know what you mean, Marisa Tomei as Aunt May though.....:P (However I still won't watch it, the whole superhero thing needs a rest).

Anyway, Ben Wheatley triple bill on tonight. Not seen "A field in England" before, looks a bit "out there".

Edited by Shropshire Lad

Sony hold the movie rights to Spiderman, the reboot with Garfield in 2012 was partly done to maintain their holding the rights as they were about to expire (as Daredevil did - Fox didn't use the licence, Marvel got it back and made the successful Netflix show. A bunch of licences are out there for Marvel proprieties and they're quite keen to have them back, unfortunately they did some very stupid deals years ago when they went bankrupt where they make next to no money off a lot of their characters movies). Both Amazing Spiderman movies didn't perform as well as Sony wanted, commercially and critically, and that seemed to shoot down plans they had for a 'Spiderman Universe' of movies. So Sony struck a deal with Marvel whereby Sony maintain holding the rights officially and hold final sign off on any creative decisions, but Marvel can use the character pretty much as they like. 

So this is a reboot, but really it's more a hard 'Spidey exists in this world' shift rather than a whole origin story again. So far anyway. There's a new solo movie planned for 2018 which could be an origin I guess. Doubt it though.

Â