The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I've only watched it once, I watched redux, thought the opening was superb but by the end I thought it was overblown, it seriously drags, and to be honest boring, the whole bit in the French house was pointless, by the time Brando's garbled bullshit nonsense came in I'd had enough

Sits at number 1 on my most overrated film of all time list

Its draggy but not as overrated as Big Lebowski for me

• Like 1

I guess I just like Cimino, because I also love the much-maligned Heaven's Gate (which has much in common with TDH).

And the much overlooked Year of the Dragon, which i've always liked.

• Like 1

Need to rewatch Deer Hunter, watched it once when i was ill and thought it was boring but need give it another go

Same. Watched it years ago but didn't do anything for me at the time. Deserves another viewing 

Watched the homesman, with Hilary swank and tommy lee jones.

Although horrendously bleak in plot line and setting the script was injected with some dry humour, which added to the desperation and bleakness.

I'd recommend it.

I've only watched it once, I watched redux, thought the opening was superb but by the end I thought it was overblown, it seriously drags, and to be honest boring, the whole bit in the French house was pointless, by the time Brando's garbled bullshit nonsense came in I'd had enough

Yeah, the Redux version should not be the version you watch first time out, so I hear. I watched the Directors Cut (which goes under a different title to that) which comes in at 2 hours 21 long. It's absolutely perfect.

Just back from Jurassic World, strange film, it's a quite shocking rip off of the other 3, it's pretty much an amalgamation of them, there are 20 (?) characters of which chris Pratt is the only interesting one, the writing for the older brother and the boss woman in particular is terrible, the whole film is telegraphed from the start -

gets his helicopter licence in 2 days - dies in helicopter crash

But it somehow still ends up being a decent film

I like Apoc Now a lot, but I prefer The Deer Hunter, which might just be MY favourite film of all time.

Another very long film, but yes one of the best  of all time. A  great cast. Walken was brilliant. The Russian Roulette scene will forever stay in my memory. Also John Cazale who was dying from cancer, when it was filmed. 

Edited by PaulC

Only watched 2 films on the plane to and from Holiday (mainly due to the quality of Thomson's in flight movies being absolutely appalling)

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Meh. It was ok. I liked it but it felt very much like the first part of a trilogy. Which of course it is, but what I mean is I think I'd view it more favourably if/when I saw the rest of the films - 9.5/10 would bang again

Interstellar - Fantastic. Absolutely loved it. I'll be immediately buying it on Blu Ray so I can watch it again and do it justice as opposed to what can barely pass as anything more than a bad pirated copy - 9.5/10 pointy elbows but lovely ear lobes.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Meh. It was ok. I liked it but it felt very much like the first part of a trilogy. Which of course it is, but what I mean is I think I'd view it more favourably if/when I saw the rest of the films - 9.5/10 would bang again.

You say "meh it was ok" then give it 9.5/10

Do you mean that you thought it was great but if you saw all 3 films it could bump it up to 10/10?

Yeah, the Redux version should not be the version you watch first time out, so I hear. I watched the Directors Cut (which goes under a different title to that) which comes in at 2 hours 21 long. It's absolutely perfect.

I loved the film, but Redux was the version I saw and I assume the scenes cut in the other version are mostly those in the frenchmans house which was a waste of time and also removed you from the rhythm of the film.

Need to rewatch Deer Hunter, watched it once when i was ill and thought it was boring but need give it another go

Same. Watched it years ago but didn't do anything for me at the time. Deserves another viewing 

Funnily enough it was on ITV4  last night so I watched it

it was a bit meh if I'm honest , spent far too long at the wedding and not enough time in the Mississippi Queen with the go go girls ... other than the Russian roulette scenes it just didn't do enough for me ... it goes up there with Blade Runner in the over rated section I'm afraid

The deer hunter was never meant to be an action packed war film. Its long and drawn out but thats because it has to develop the characters and show how each of them are affected by war. The acting in that film was outstanding. It was one of the great films from the 70s. I think you have to be in the right mood to watch it though!

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

I finally got around to rewatching Apocalypse Now last night, last time I saw it I was young, I think at the time I expected it to be like Platoon... My initial thought is that it's probably the best film ever made. Not just from a technical standpoint but also in how it captures the dreamlike horror of Vietnam, which is how my generation feel about the conflict and of the late 60's/70's in general.

I watched it in HD obviously and felt that it could have been made yesterday, only it wouldn't have because of what it must have taken out of just about everyone involved. It blew me away.

I watched this a few years back suffering sleep deprivation sitting up with my 6 month old baby at 4am. 

Great way to watch the film tbh!

• Like 1

Â