The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

See that The Departed is on TV here. Didn't think it was any good. Whats the deal with Mark Wahlberg? He is not a very good actor IMO.

Its an amazing film.

Wahlberg has his moments. But there are plenty of others in that film to keep your attention.

I retract my statement. It is a good film but I don't agree with amazing. Cant think of a good Wahlberg film where he is leading.

If the last 2 didn't let you down then the bar is hardly high for this one

Think it looks too much like no1 for me but to add a bit of difference they've invested time in to developing the dinosaurs story arc rather than the characters, which will be incredibly dangerous, for all the cool dinosaurs in no1 there were 3/4 good human characters, this one the BDH looks a nob, Pratt looks cliched to an inch of his life and as I've got older I've got more cynical towards children in films so no doubt they'll be annoying

I thought TLW was a good film personally, it was just a bit too long. I even enjoyed the third to an extent bar all the screaming from Tea Leoni. 

The children will be annoying. The youngest one is apparently in one of the Iron Man films.

he always seems to me like he's got a shit film in him, the happening, planet of the apes, transformers, max payne but then he's got the departed and the fighter in him too, then you throw in ted and the other guys and then also shooter and lone survivor... you cant pigeon hole him thats for sure

executive producer on entourage and boardwalk, and the fighter, prisoners, lone survivor, he cant be doing bad for himself

• Like 1

I think you have to give most actors a pay cheque film here and there, they can't all be Oscar winners, at the end of the day they are earning a living like the rest of us. I would say its more disappointing when someone with an excellent portfolio then starts doing shitty films and is clearly just taking the money before they hang up their boots (I'm looking at you de niro!)

• Like 1

I think Wahlberg plays comedy roles really well like Ted and The Other Guys as well as the more dramatic roles. I even didn't mind The Happening!

Do I have a man-crush on Wahlberg? Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe go **** yourself!

I think you have to give most actors a pay cheque film here and there, they can't all be Oscar winners, at the end of the day they are earning a living like the rest of us. I would say its more disappointing when someone with an excellent portfolio then starts doing shitty films and is clearly just taking the money before they hang up their boots (I'm looking at you de niro!)

Not only that, but a lot of actors will sign deals with movie studios that ensure they appear in a number of movies for them, so sometimes they don't have as much control over what they star in as you might think.

Also, a script might read really well and have the potential to be an absolutely stunning film, but the director might cock it up, producers and the studio might give a ton of notes during production which completely change things for the worse, or even the editing process may completely change the look and feel of a movie, all of which the actors have no control of unless they're a producer too.

Basically, a lot of things can go wrong from multiple areas during the making of a film. Actors generally aren't all that at fault, yet it's their faces up there on the big screen, so they're always first in the firing line for the criticism.

Edited by Ginko

i always think the yanks seem to have a weird tax system that numerous famous people dont seem to understand and owe money to the IRS (thinking snipes and prison) so end up doing soem right old shit to make a bit of money

you do then have good actors in films that they simply dont need to be in, the main culprit at the moment is liam neeson, the man can act! really doesnt need to be in these films, agree with your post ginko, probably tied in to a studio or a director that he's mates with or given the chance to produce them (which i think walhberg is well in to) and is financially tied in but think you might have missed the lowest common denominator, maybe he just finds these films easy and enjoyable and coasts through them...

to be fair the main culprit might not be neeson it might be clooney, when was the last time he did a role that wasnt playing himself, and he still gets oscar nominations and all sorts for it

thats part of the reason i quite like walhberg and i do like brad pitt, they do lots of different things with various amounts of success 

Oh I'm not saying that the reasons I stated above are the only factors involved. I'm sure there have been a number of actors throughout the years who have taken easy money knowing full well the films they make could well be utter tosh, I'm just saying it isn't always the actor's fault.

I think Wahlberg plays comedy roles really well like Ted and The Other Guys as well as the more dramatic roles. I even didn't mind The Happening!

Do I have a man-crush on Wahlberg? Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe go **** yourself!

sounds like your offering to do it.......

Â