The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched frank today, enjoyed it but its one of those films that as soon as it ends you just move on, it's a face value film no deeper meanings or sub text to think about just enjoy the performances and the company of the people for an hour and a half. 6.5/10

Also want to say Super was a great film, 8/10 for that.

New Transformers was guff. Nice action scenes but it sounds like they roped in the writers from Two Broke Girls for the dialogue.

Oh man, that show is absolute garbage. I still haven't completely forgiven Kat Dennings for being a part of that tripe.

Whitney Cummings needs to be banned from writing for TV. There's a prime example of an unfunny female comedian, though I hesitate to open that can of worms again as there are plenty of women who I think are very funny indeed.

Whitney Cummings is **** atrocious. Hot though.

New Transformers was guff. Nice action scenes but it sounds like they roped in the writers from Two Broke Girls for the dialogue.

Oh man, that show is absolute garbage. I still haven't completely forgiven Kat Dennings for being a part of that tripe.

Whitney Cummings needs to be banned from writing for TV. There's a prime example of an unfunny female comedian, though I hesitate to open that can of worms again as there are plenty of women who I think are very funny indeed.

Whitney Cummings is **** atrocious. Hot though.

Had to Mooney her, hell yeah she's hot!

Watched frank today, enjoyed it but its one of those films that as soon as it ends you just move on, it's a face value film no deeper meanings or sub text to think about just enjoy the performances and the company of the people for an hour and a half. 6.5/10

No deeper meanings? One of the few mainstream films to deal openly (and with a light tone) (sorry Donnie) with mental health issues. The love, support and friendship shown by the group was as heartwarming as it was upsetting to see their pain and the pain of the parents. I found it profoundly moving.

God Super was weird. The beginning an end of that film are like totally different movies. What is it about these so-called realistic takes on superhero movies that always seem to suffer with an identity crisis? Kick Ass was the same for me.

I really like Super. It was funny but also made me feel really sad, just because of how sad the main character is.

God Super was weird. The beginning an end of that film are like totally different movies. What is it about these so-called realistic takes on superhero movies that always seem to suffer with an identity crisis? Kick Ass was the same for me.

I really like Super. It was funny but also made me feel really sad, just because of how sad the main character is.

But didn't you find it really jarring the way the tone of the movie changed so drastically? I just thought it was a bit shit really.

No deeper meanings? One of the few mainstream films to deal openly (and with a light tone) (sorry Donnie) with mental health issues. The love, support and friendship shown by the group was as heartwarming as it was upsetting to see their pain and the pain of the parents. I found it profoundly moving.

I'm honestly surprised you saw it that way,

Maybe because i don't have any mental illness in the family it didn't strike any chords with me. I saw the film a different way personally, it seemed like it was more about Domhnall Gleesons character progressing throughout the film. How he changed from the shy slightly awkward kid who went from idolising frank at the start to almost pitying him by the end and becoming the "unofficial" leader of the group. My interest was definitely following him rather than Franks downfall.

20,000 days on Earth was awesome! 8/10!

Well jel.

Need to get that bastard seen as soon as possible.

Thought you would have gone to the cinema to see it! 

You'll love it, the production value in it is great. Really well made. 

• Like 1

I'm honestly surprised you saw it that way,

Maybe because i don't have any mental illness in the family it didn't strike any chords with me. I saw the film a different way personally, it seemed like it was more about Domhnall Gleesons character progressing throughout the film. How he changed from the shy slightly awkward kid who went from idolising frank at the start to almost pitying him by the end and becoming the "unofficial" leader of the group. My interest was definitely following him rather than Franks downfall.

Yeah I can see that perspective but

I thought the point of the movie was more to show someone who was a little odd but on the face of it largely normal, completely miss the point that everyone in the band had mental health problems and only see what he could get out of the situation. He couldn't understand why they weren't on the same page as him and why they weren't reaching for critical and commercial success. Turns out that the band existed as a mutual support group and that success was the last thing they needed, they just needed each other. The Gleeson character was a device to bring us in, someone most watchers could readily relate to but the reveal/twist was that he was that he was the a-hole and the eccentricities of the band were revealed as not them being "nutty" but as their way of keeping each other together/loved/supported

Â