The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Synechdoche, New York on the iplayer atm. 

Just seen it for the first time, and my immediate impression is that I want / need to watch it again. I enjoyed it, and was permanently engrossing but I think I got quite lost the further it went on, though I think that may have been part of the point. Good film. Hoffman is really quite good. 

• Like 1

Flight ( 2012 ) - with Denzel. 5/10 - frustrating - starts off interestingly enough but then, plods along so dully with no more than bit of a cliched superficial look at addiction, with supporting characters rarely given enough to work with, and with whom washington's character interacts with all too briefly to get any sense of him. The final half of the film is very dry,to the point I actually felt consuming alcohol was the subversive message to actually take away from the film. 

Kiss Kiss Bang, Bang ( 2003 ) - 7.5/10 - wanted to watch this for a while but never got round to it when it came out. Great fun, an enjoyable comic homage to LA Noir. Downey Jr, Kilmer and Michelle Monaghan  :wub: are all excellent. Early on Downey Jr' delivered a flippant chat up line "I'm retired, I invented dice as a kid" which really made me crack up and set me up to enjoy the rest of the film. The whole self aware narrator trope was mercifully not overly used too much either. Think it could have been meatier in parts but still, great fun. 

As a 14 yr old boy, I once stumbled across the opening scene from Baraberella which I quickly had to turn off as my parents were coming into the room. It's an image that's stuck with me for 25 years and I've always intended to enjoy the rest of this amazingly sexy film ever since.

I finally picked up a copy for a couple of quid and it is utter tosh. I appreciate that this is probably not news to many who know of the movie but it is yet another childhood memory completely shattered.

Bloody parents!

Watched Cherry at the weekend (which was described as a female take on Boogie Nights). Terrible film. It just didn't go anywhere, I didn't feel anything for the main character, and there were many scenes that added nothing to the story progression. I've not looked into it, but I'd imagine this film was made by a lesbian, as the moral of the story seemed to be, men are all evil, and women are just better off living together.

As a 14 yr old boy, I once stumbled across the opening scene from Baraberella which I quickly had to turn off as my parents were coming into the room. It's an image that's stuck with me for 25 years and I've always intended to enjoy the rest of this amazingly sexy film ever since.

I finally picked up a copy for a couple of quid and it is utter tosh. I appreciate that this is probably not news to many who know of the movie but it is yet another childhood memory completely shattered.

It was a very erotic film of its time with a young Jane Fonda but guess it must look very dated now!

Kiss Kiss Bang, Bang ( 2003 ) - 7.5/10 - wanted to watch this for a while but never got round to it when it came out. Great fun, an enjoyable comic homage to LA Noir. Downey Jr, Kilmer and Michelle Monaghan  :wub: are all excellent. Early on Downey Jr' delivered a flippant chat up line "I'm retired, I invented dice as a kid" which really made me crack up and set me up to enjoy the rest of the film. The whole self aware narrator trope was mercifully not overly used too much either. Think it could have been meatier in parts but still, great fun. 

Monaghan is hot in that!  :)

• Like 1

Bram Stoker's Dracula - been meaning to watch it for years. Tried last night but couldn't get into it. Plus Keanu's acting was painful to watch

Lone Survivor, not too shabby with a 7 out of 10

The Fifth Estate, putting aside BCs Australian accent wandered somewhat it wasn't a bad film but then wasn't a great film either. You do start rooting a bit for Assange but then it becomes fairly obvious he is a knob who is only in it for his own glorification.

Monaghan is hot in that!  :)

Very much so! Really like that movie.

Â