The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

*sigh* Tom Waits has always looked like a less abrasive version of Ron Perlman to me. Also I think Patrick Fugit did a really good job in this movie.

I'm watching The Deer Hunter. It's one of those films I think I ought to see. Its three hours long, and the first hour has been utterly utterly terrible. I kinda get what they are trying to do, establish this close knit community, but 45 minutes of drunk people being drunk and screaming RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! at the top of their lungs is just boring. The most interesting that that has happened so far is the band at the wedding have played the theme song from Tetris.

Hours two and three better pick up. Still, the wedding scene is finally over and perhaps some meaningful dialogue will actually be exchanged now.

Aye. It really picked up. I can appreciate why the first act was there, the last twenty minutes wouldnt have worked without it. Though I still think the first hour could have easily been cut into half that time and still got the same message across. Looking around t'internet, it seems I'm not the only one. The Deer Hunter looks like it's one of those films with lots of hidden extras too, little sub plots it's easy to miss and the like. Very good film, even if it is a bit "America, **** YEAH!" in places, and too long.

:lol:

Oldboy is great though. Dunno why everybody dwells on the octopus scene though, the movie would be just as great without it.

Just watched Nowhere Boy, it's got Aaron Jonhson (The lead from Kick Ass) playing a young John Lennon, which I think he played pretty well on the whole.

Kristan Scott-Thomas and Ann-Marie Duff are excellent in it though, and the soundtrack is very good.

Has aybody seen a Japanese film called Visitor Q?

A firend told me about it and so I read about. All I can say is WTF!?

Best thing is, it's meant to be a black comedy.

Yes, it's a Takashi Miike movie. Which means it's oddness will range anywhere from very odd to completely ****.

The fella in my avatar is from his (Miikes) most famous movie Ichi the Killer.

I saw "Up" for the first time the other day. I liked it. It wasn't really as I expected. I thought it would be more funny and less serious, sts. But yes, I think it was good.

The Unloved

Samantha Morton showing she's not just a talented actor but a fine first time director. Very hard hitting, and certainly not a 'date movie'.

Thanks for the reminder on this one - I meant to see this a while ago but it completely slipped my mind.

Last nights' viewing - surprisingly tense and gripping (only surprising as I didn't expect to be quite so drawn in:

51RpDxld6EL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just got back through the door after watching Predators... **** AMAZING. If you've any love for the Predator/Alien franchise (and, like me, you attempt to negate the existence of the terrible AvP films) this film will bring a tear to your eye. :thumb:

Â