The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Wolverine. Completely fine, surprisingly funny and straight story goes completely snooker loopy in the last 20, stay for the mid credits sequence.

Been waiting to see what you had to say. I think it looks poor from the trailers, but so far the reviews seem to be pretty positive.

I'd break it down more but I'm absolutely shattered and, tbh, there's not masses to say. It's fine. It's the closest any X-Men film has come to getting Wolverine's rage at times, and it really is a very straight story. Villains are weak, the ending is daft, bit too much Jean, but half decent action looks nice and as said, surprisingly funny. Worth a trip if you like character, kids will dislike it as it's fairly slow.

I wasn't blown away by 'The Wolverine' to be honest. Jackman owns that character but I still get the feeling that they are holding back. I want to see Wolverine at his most violent in an 18 rated film. I wish Aronofsky had stayed on to direct as I think it would have been a much better film.

Anyway, I agree that it got weaker as it went on. The ending just went completely mad and felt like it was rushed. Viper was hardly touched upon and the Silver Samurai was used in the wrong way. Then there is the poor acting from everyone other than Jackman. I just wasn't convinced at all by the rest of the cast. I was hoping it would be a standalone film too but the fact that Jean Grey was shoehorned in to connect it to X3 was a complete shambles...

Enough of the bashing as there were some good points. Firstly, it was nice to see Logan in a film that showed some of his inner rage and that was also story based. Some of the action scenes were also very good. I was surprised by the train scene as I thought that looked awful in the trailer, yet it turned out to be one of the better action sequences. It was a step up from 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' and it was good to finally see Wolverine in a good film. I just have this feeling that it could have been so much better.

The mid credit scene is well worth staying for too.

Went to see "Blackfish" tonight. A documentary on the killer whales at Seaworld and the deaths of trainers.

Hands down the best documentary I have ever seen. Shocking, moving, suspenseful and parts are truly unbelievable.

I love sea life and have a real interest in sharks dolphins and whales but I have never been interested in going to Seaworld because it just smacks of money grabbing bastards with zero conservation interests. Well this doc also highlights them as virtually being accessories to murder. And they wouldn't be far wrong.

If you have an interest in marine life or not I would highly recommend it.

• Like 1

For a minute I thought you meant 'Heavenly Creatures' and I was going to strongly disagree.

But then I realised my mistake.

Check out 'Heavenly Creatures' some time. Very odd film. The type I'd like to see Peter Jackson try again.

I'll look out for it. :)

Just watched Django unchained. Not as good as Inglorious, but still a very good film. I think I like Tarantino's last films more than say Pulp fiction. Never got the greatness of that one. Django gets 7.5/10 from me. And Waltz is a very good actor.

• Like 1

WeAreLegion_zps9b466cb1.jpg

The value of that film rests entirely on the agenda of its director. It would be very easy to make a negative propoganda film funded by the very people Anonymous exists to keep in line.

World's End.

So bad it made me sad.

There's no laughs in the film! Well very few, about two genuine ones.

Real shame because I love Wright and a big fan of Frost.

Wouldn't have minded if it didn't live up to the first two, but it was just horrible. 

Weird ending that didn't seem to quite know the point it was trying to make.

Wolverine. Completely fine, surprisingly funny and straight story goes completely snooker loopy in the last 20, stay for the mid credits sequence.

Been waiting to see what you had to say. I think it looks poor from the trailers, but so far the reviews seem to be pretty positive.

i saw Wolverine last night.

Decent film, more talking than i expected which was good as it added a bit of depth. Action was decent.   Ending was the poorest bit.

Post credits clip was fantastic, and got me all excited for X-Men 4.

7.5/10

For a minute I thought you meant 'Heavenly Creatures' and I was going to strongly disagree.

Check out 'Heavenly Creatures' some time. Very odd film. The type I'd like to see Peter Jackson try again.

Just watched Django unchained. Not as good as Inglorious, but still a very good film. I think I like Tarantino's last films more than say Pulp fiction. Never got the greatness of that one. Django gets 7.5/10 from me. And Waltz is a very good actor.

While Waltz was excellent in Django, I preferred his performance in Inglorious. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSOlQRjlyn4

WeAreLegion_zps9b466cb1.jpg

The value of that film rests entirely on the agenda of its director. It would be very easy to make a negative propoganda film funded by the very people Anonymous exists to keep in line.

Very true!

But I knew very little about Anonymous before watching it and find the whole thing quite fascinating. I'd happily watch an anti-anonymous documentary too :)

While Waltz was excellent in Django, I preferred his performance in Inglorious. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSOlQRjlyn4

Agreed. If I've got it right he's got 3 oscars in less than 5 years or so. Pretty impressive.

Nick Cage's performance in Con Air is surely one of the worst in the history of cinema.

Surely everything to do with that movie is one of the worst in history. It's up there with Armageddon as abysmal dross.

:o  :o  :o

Armageddon I can understand but Con Air is a gem

Nick Cage's performance in Con Air is surely one of the worst in the history of cinema.

Surely everything to do with that movie is one of the worst in history. It's up there with Armageddon as abysmal dross.

:o:o:o

It's complete and utter tripe from beginning to end.

I think I like Tarantino's last films more than say Pulp fiction. Never got the greatness of that one.

I knew I wasnt the only one. Its good but its not a great film for me. always preferred Reservoir DOgs myself

• Like 1

It's complete and utter tripe from beginning to end.

Isnt that the idea. If expecting great acting then you went wrong film :D

Â