Running

trimandson

I downloaded the Nike+ GPS app last week and nothing has ever motivated as much as that has to just get out there and beat my longest run, fastest mile and just build up my total miles. 7 runs in 10 days and I'm really enjoying it, I'm hooked. Got past my first 10k on Saturday and was over the moon.

Yesterday, I signed up to do the Birmingham Half Marathon in October. I had absolutely no idea you had to pay to enter these things, £32!?

When you run it and realise just how much organisation must go into those things and ho wmany people need to be employed on the day (and at other times) you'll understand why you need to pay.

They are massive events.

A large chunk of it is charity donation.

32 quid is still **** steep, mind.

yeah. might be a bit steep I guess, but a lot go into it. I don't know if they spread out the cost amongst the evetns too. So for example, Birmingham might be a smaller event, but the Manchester 10k cost the same, but 40,000 people do that, so presumably it takes more organising.

Dunno. But as Mike said, there's a charity donation in there, and I'm pretty sure they pay appearance fees to some of the Elite athletes.

Anyway a pleasant 5 miles along the Thames today (past the Wacko Jacko statue at Fulham). Was bloody cold mind...

I couldn't run that route. I can barely breath when I run, let alone laugh. It would have to be my little treat at the finish line.

I ran 11.2 miles last night, 4 miles further than any other run I've done in my life. It took 2 hours, don't know if that's a decent time or not.

I was struggling to do 2miles 2 weeks ago, I'm amazed at how fast you can build your fitness up.

To the marathon runners on here, because there's so many people running it, can you still set your own pace or do you have to pretty much stay with the crowd? Also, does it soon spread out so there's hardly anyone around you or are you constantly with fellow runners?

I ran 11.2 miles last night, 4 miles further than any other run I've done in my life. It took 2 hours, don't know if that's a decent time or not.

I was struggling to do 2miles 2 weeks ago, I'm amazed at how fast you can build your fitness up.

To the marathon runners on here, because there's so many people running it, can you still set your own pace or do you have to pretty much stay with the crowd? Also, does it soon spread out so there's hardly anyone around you or are you constantly with fellow runners?

Depends on the race. Something like London (what one of my club mates calls "a tart's race"), you're ****. If you want room to run, find a smaller event (I'm told the Loch Ness Marathon is good - seriously). It won't have the big city razamatazz atmosphere, but it'll more likely have a higher proportion of "serious" runners to people dressed as smurfs and tins of beans. And probably be easier and cheaper to enter, too.

Me, I'd be happy if I could get in a couple of miles without breaking down. :(

Did a ONE mile jog with the missus on Saturday, ended up limping all weekend.

I'm close to giving it all up.

Serious suggestion - take up cycling. Non weight bearing so might obviate those problems mentioned above.

Anticipating adverse cycling weather, I bought some "proper" trainers from Bourne Sports and even some compression socks. Tried to do all the stretching but STILL kept pulling a muscle in my calf and having to limp home.

That said , now off bike too with a bloody virus; am going to have to start racing later this year 'cos of inability to lose weight.

Think about that bike though.

Cycling? Not a chance. I'd be dead under the wheels of a lorry within a month. And anyway, I can't be arsed with all that dealing with chains, punctures, etc.

Don't like swimming either, before somebody suggests it.

Nope, it's running or nothing I'm afraid.

• 2 months later...

Set a 5K personal best a couple of weeks back, been out running the cliff paths in Cornwall, really enjoying it now you can run in sun in early evening.

Just reading “Born to Run” by Chris McDougall about ultra running. Really good book and would thoroughly recommend it (though the bare foot running is not my thing...)

It's all about the pace not the distance,i could run slow and miles and miles but i concentrate on pace and times but that always makes a difference with what weight you are carrying example look at all the great middle/long distance runners a majority are 5 8"/9" and around 10 stone,so if you are around that height and weight you was built to run :-)

Never say never.

You could add a few miles (I say a few, it's only seven. What's seven miles, it's nothing! ;)) and do the London marathon. Gooooooo, Jenny!

19 in training + adrenaline will get you round a marathon.

where'd you run? Flat or hilly?

Unfortunately for me, it's all hills, no matter what direction i go in!

Fortunately, you mean. Hills are good, hills build strength. I pity runners in flat areas - when they do a race on hills they are ****. Those who train on hills will piss all over flat races.

where'd you run? Flat or hilly?

Unfortunately for me, it's all hills, no matter what direction i go in!

Fortunately, you mean. Hills are good, hills build strength. I pity runners in flat areas - when they do a race on hills they are ****. Those who train on hills will piss all over flat races.

Depends on the kind of training you do over hills; and no doubt if you run up you have to run down, and most running down hills ƒu•ks the knees of most people. The best training is a mixed bag...

Â