Running

trimandson

Just now, dubbs said:

Well that run tonight felt horrible.  Knees ached whilst walking to warm up.  Before I started I felt pretty confident that this would be easier than my last run which was 20 mins running with no breaks.  This was 5, 8 and 5 min runs with 3 mins between them.  By the middle of the second section I was shattered.   I kept going which I'm glad about but can't figure out why this time was so much harder.  I'll check my pace records just in case I pushed too fast today.   Its a good job I enjoy getting out!  Need to try and work out a new route too.

Well done for keep going though dubbs. 

• Thanks 1

On 30/03/2021 at 12:48, DCJonah said:

After some running advice please or maybe just some reassurance. 

I ruptured my achillies Jan 2020 and since then have not gone faster than a brisk walk. I was never really a runner, just played 7 a side once a week and the odd round of golf but would really like to start. 

I was unable to have physio due to covid and I'm pretty terrified of it rupturing again as soon I break into a run. Has anyone had a similar injury and how did they start again? Or does anyone have any advice how to start slowly or do I need to just jog and brave it. 

I did the same. Was horrific. Also playing football and I remember thinking someone had thrown a stone at the back of my leg.

I returned to running very cautiously.  I literally started with 10 minute runs. 1 minute run 1 minute walk probably 3 times a week. Next week I went to 2 minutes run and upped it weekly from there.

Eventually built speed and time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I did the same. Was horrific. Also playing football and I remember thinking someone had thrown a stone at the back of my leg.

I returned to running very cautiously.  I literally started with 10 minute runs. 1 minute run 1 minute walk probably 3 times a week. Next week I went to 2 minutes run and upped it weekly from there.

Eventually built speed and time.

Cheers mate. 

Yeah, the sound of it popping still haunts me. I think it's the fact it ruptured as I went from standing still to pushing off into a run. It's that initial burst that's in my head. 

I'll give it a go, slowly building up. 

• Like 1

I've been doing between two and four 5K runs a week for ages now, with very few ill effects. First game back for our old buggers' 6 a side footy on Tuesday though, and I feel like I've been on a medieval rack for the last two days. Agony.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Risso said:

I've been doing between two and four 5K runs a week for ages now, with very few ill effects. First game back for our old buggers' 6 a side footy on Tuesday though, and I feel like I've been on a medieval rack for the last two days. Agony.

Similar with me for the last few months , except I was running in miles and none of that foreign rubbish :) 

played tennis on Tuesday for the first time in about 6 months and everything aches like I’ve been sat on by Bella Emberg

• Like 1

Gutted.  Just tried my first 25 min run without a break. Think I managed just over 20 and had to walk for a few mins.  I knew I'd started too quickly when I'd gone further than I expected after the first 5 mins,  tried slowing down but the damage was done.  Reckon its Villas fault after that victory,  the adrenaline was still pumping!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dubbs said:

Gutted.  Just tried my first 25 min run without a break. Think I managed just over 20 and had to walk for a few mins.  I knew I'd started too quickly when I'd gone further than I expected after the first 5 mins,  tried slowing down but the damage was done.  Reckon its Villas fault after that victory,  the adrenaline was still pumping!

No reason to be gutted. 20 minutes is huge from where you started a few short weeks ago. If you are really unhappy with it, repeat the week again next week.

I struggled my way through C25K 11 years ago, repeated loads of weeks and failed loads of runs. Now I'm running marathons and ultras. Missing your 25 minutes by a small margin is nothing in the grand scheme of it and all part of the process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

No reason to be gutted. 20 minutes is huge from where you started a few short weeks ago. If you are really unhappy with it, repeat the week again next week.

I struggled my way through C25K 11 years ago, repeated loads of weeks and failed loads of runs. Now I'm running marathons and ultras. Missing your 25 minutes by a small margin is nothing in the grand scheme of it and all part of the process.

Looking at the runs coming up,  they are all 25 min runs so I'll try the first one tomorrow and see how it goes.  I've learnt a lesson from yesterday if nothing else. 

Thanks for the words of encouragement mate. Sometimes I forget where I started and I knew it wasn't going to be plain sailing everytime. 

Anyone use the subscription version of Strava? I know @JamieZ is on it.  Currently using the free version.  Whats the subscription version like and is it worth upgrading? Guess the best thing to do is try the months trial, but just looking for info from people who already have it.

38 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Anyone use the subscription version of Strava? I know @JamieZ is on it.  Currently using the free version.  Whats the subscription version like and is it worth upgrading? Guess the best thing to do is try the months trial, but just looking for info from people who already have it.

Honestly for running I don't think it's worth it unless you're desperate to see where you lie on segment leaderboards since they paywalled those a while back, but the running data isn't great. The cycling data is slightly better but only really useful if you have a power meter. No harm in using the free trial though, just dont forget to cancel it.

Edited by Delphouneso
  • Thanks 1

I'm not entirely sure what is and isn't included with the free version now to be honest, but if they're still charging for the route planner then there's plenty of other free (and better) route planners out there like Ride with GPS, Komoot, Suunto have their own if you have a Suunto watch, I'm guessing Garmin/Coros/Polar etc probably do similar, and I'm pretty sure they all offer the option to download the .gpx file which can then be uploaded to Strava as a route anyway.

• Thanks 1

I'm using a Garmin watch and app, Strava was recommended by Garmin. Just interested to see what's behind the paywall in comparison to the free stuff.  As you said I can try the free version for now. 

Anyone have the cure for shin splints? Tried new runners, custom insoles, foam rolling, calf exercises etc. already. Don't really have the choice to change surfaces, it's run on tarmac or nothing. 

Edited by villa89

8 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Anyone have the cure for shin splints? Tried new runners, custom insoles, foam rolling, calf exercises etc. already. Don't really have the choice to change surfaces, it's run or tarmac or nothing. 

Ice packs and ibruprofen might help.  Don't run for a few weeks and maybe try other exercise like yoga or swimming when the pools are back open. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Anyone have the cure for shin splints? Tried new runners, custom insoles, foam rolling, calf exercises etc. already. Don't really have the choice to change surfaces, it's run or tarmac or nothing. 

Shin splints is a bit of a catch all term for all lower leg issues so it kinda depends what the root cause is. Honestly though the answer to your question is patience.

Ultimately you wanna reduce the impact of your running, so slow down, try and shorten your stride / increase your cadence (it can feel super awkward at first trying to run at a slower pace but with a quicker turnover, but you'll get used to it), foam rolling and calf raises can help, I find rolling the muscle directly on the outside of the shin bone helps, just be careful not to roll on the actual bone. Also try running loops close to your home, the second you start to get any pain stop and walk home, go back out the next day (if you're pain free) and do it again, gradually you'll find the distance you're able to go pain free will increase until you don't notice it anymore.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dubbs said:

If you are using something like Garmin you won't get really get anything different from Strava in terms of run data. The main thing would be seeing where you are in leader boards by age, weight etc instead of just overall. I think the routes has additional features as well if you are looking for new places to run, but it depends if there is much in your area.

My strava ID https://www.strava.com/athletes/5078002

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dubbs said:

Yeah, I've really got everything I need with the free version. I think the only thing it may have that I'd be particularly interested is personal heat maps.

I tend to keep it pretty simple and don't even use too many of the advanced features on my Garmin Forerunner 935. Press button. Wait for beep. Press button again. Go.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

Nice! I'll be adding you on Strava. There've got to be some fantastic routes where you are!

There are, although Strava doesn't help me find them as I'm about the only person using it locally. At least I'm top of all the segments I've created around here 😝

20 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

There are, although Strava doesn't help me find them as I'm about the only person using it locally. At least I'm top of all the segments I've created around here 😝

King of the Mountain by default is still King of the Mountain!

Have you tried the AllTrails app? I did a search and Nepal is on its list of "supported countries", but I don't entirely know how their local and regional catalogues are built—whether they're based on global mapping or user input. It might be worth a shot.

Â