Running

trimandson

I did my first Great North Run yesterday. Jeeese that course is crowded, I spent most of the time trying to get round people or just making sure I wasn’t tripping anyone up. At one point, about 5 miles in, the course bottlenecked and everyone had to stop and walk for a few minutes. Bit ridiculous. 

I was aiming for sub 2 hrs, but got 2 hours 3 minutes. Close! I’m doing the Ealing half marathon at the end of the month, hopefully I can get sub 2 hours there.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Seems VT has stopped running, or at least stopped talking about it.

Everyone getting fat for Christmas and starting again in January? That's exactly what I'm doing.

That is precisely what I'm doing too.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 1

I ran a 2:58 marathon in Indianapolis at the start of November and a 17:30 5k a couple of weeks back. Currently not running due to ankle ligament shite. Standard.

Anyway, Isn't running supposed to really take off for about 3 weeks in Jan?

• Like 2

Erm........i volunteered at the arbo park run last saturday and was stunned to see a bloke run past me who had collapsed and was as good as dead at the same venue only 6 or 7 weeks before. Two ambulances, full on CPR, blue lighted to hospital......ended up having a bypass operation too.

He walked/jogged it and was probably 20 mins outside his PB but it's fair to say my jaw hit the floor as it registered who he was as he waved.

I'll never complain about my "dodgy" knee ever again 😳

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Everyone getting fat for Christmas and starting again in January? That's exactly what I'm doing.

Pretty much. Except that I stopped before LAST Christmas...  :(

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Erm........i volunteered at the arbo park run last saturday and was stunned to see a bloke run past me who had collapsed and was as good as dead at the same venue only 6 or 7 weeks before. Two ambulances, full on CPR, blue lighted to hospital......ended up having a bypass operation too.

He walked/jogged it and was probably 20 mins outside his PB but it's fair to say my jaw hit the floor as it registered who he was as he waved.

I'll never complain about my "dodgy" knee ever again 😳

I ran there that day but had no idea anything had happened until I saw it on Facebook. I don’t know how I missed it. Glad to hear he’s back running, that’s amazing.

Just now, Paddywhack said:

Because of injury or just lost interest?

Combination of things. Minor injuries, minor illnesses, time constraints and tiredness due to grandchild care - all leading to lost fitness and lack of motivation. Excuses, really. No reason I shouldn't be running, apart from the thought of starting from scratch, AGAIN. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

no time! my weekends have gone and it's too dark in the evening. I've decided to do another half marathon next year though to forcibly commit myself to not let the darkness be a permanent excuse for running. I may join a gymn for 2 months for pragmatic reasons

• Like 1

Not getting much running either. Back injury (slipped disc) being the main issue, but the recent house move and trying to mark 150 tests and essays before the xmas break are handy excuses too, as well as shit weather and evening darkness. I’ve planned to go for a quick run on saturday and a longer one on sunday, just to check if there’s anything in the tank. 

Good news is that my weight hasn’t been affected by this recent lull. 

• Like 1

On 03/12/2018 at 16:49, Paddywhack said:

I ran there that day but had no idea anything had happened until I saw it on Facebook. I don’t know how I missed it. Glad to hear he’s back running, that’s amazing.

I had a great time, wearing a lairy pink hawaiian shirt (it was the breast cancer awareness day) but as soon as i walked back to hand in my marshall's bib and saw what was going on, my heart was in my boots (no pun intended). The second ambulance had just pulled up as i walked past. There were many hanging around just not knowing what to do - they weren't being voyeuristic, just upset. As you say, the good news appeared on facebook a few days later. His name is Colin & it's fair to say that running is a big passion of his.

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 1

I'm back on it, had to take 8 weeks off proper running after the pain-fest which was Berlin marathon, managed to put on a ton of weight which I just like to pretend is an extra training aid over the winter.

I am in for both London and Chicago marathons next year and will mostly be racing XC for the next couple of months.

I think it depends on mileage and then its whatever shoe works the best for you as however much they cost it is cheaper than a physio.

As for watches most of the brands are pretty good I think, I've always used Garmin and only had the odd issue which I'm generally happy with on modern tech.

4 hours ago, andyjsg said:

I think it depends on mileage and then its whatever shoe works the best for you as however much they cost it is cheaper than a physio.

As for watches most of the brands are pretty good I think, I've always used Garmin and only had the odd issue which I'm generally happy with on modern tech.

Physio? I'm not running marathons in dunlop volleys but at the same time I am not paying $200 for a pair of athletic shoes.

I paid $80 for my last pair of futsal shoes which have lasted 6 years. I paid $140 for my last two pairs of basketball shoes, both adidas, both lasted over a year of playing just about daily.

Cross trainers I generally don't buy because I can exercise in either my basketball or futsal shoes but I think asics seem to be one of the better choices.

Â