Running

trimandson

Literally days away. Feel in reasonable shape, somewhere between 3.15-3.20 and I will be happy. Will go out reasonably and then started to wind it up if I can. Been a pretty good training cycle, a few days off here and there through niggles and illness. Not trained as hard as Brighton, but feel better for it and definitely know what to expect. Ran a 20 at 7.30 pace a few weeks and it was hard, but not impossible. 

As long as I don’t disgrace myself in front of Crammy’s mate:)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, PauloBarnesi said:

Literally days away. Feel in reasonable shape, somewhere between 3.15-3.20 and I will be happy. Will go out reasonably and then started to wind it up if I can. Been a pretty good training cycle, a few days off here and there through niggles and illness. Not trained as hard as Brighton, but feel better for it and definitely know what to expect. Ran a 20 at 7.30 pace a few weeks and it was hard, but not impossible. 

As long as I don’t disgrace myself in front of Crammy’s mate:)

You're looking good mate. Your quick runs are very quick.

I'll have my mobile for a while before the start so if you're around I'll say hello.

For me it's been a bit of a challenge. Done the training almost to the letter but don't feel any quicker and the long distance runs don't seem to get any easier. I'll personally go with the 3.30 pacer and see what happens. A lot may depend on what my left knee decides to do. At London it didn't niggle at all. Ashby 20 I was hobbling from 15 miles.

Good luck for Sunday. I've decided to completely rest up now to give some rest to a sore chest and blisters.

• Like 1

On 23/03/2017 at 19:43, Rodders said:

Hmm - have come across the first test in my new acquaintance with running and gradual training for a debut HM in October. About the time I finished the Couch to 5k programme life stuff and serial colds have limited me to one run in two weeks now. I have a first ever 10k "race" booked in for 2nd April, which I'm looking forward to but hoping this bug goes away pronto to allow me to get some practice runs in again. I've not been measuring my distance, just my stamina at the moment. Before the bugs I was comfortable with 30 minutes runs and feel I can probably do 40 minutes without totally gasping, but the lack of practice lately has me wary! I'm sure the whole running with other people will definitely help - giving me plenty of people to try and tag along or keep up with, and the weather ought not to be total crap either, but fingers crossed!

I've just finished the couch to 5K programme again, and am back to doing 5K pretty comfortably.  In my experience, the jump from 5K to 10K is nowhere near as bad as the jump from week 1 of C25K to the end.  If you're not too worried about times, increasing from 30 minutes upwards isn't too bad.  There's no science behind this, but after hitting 5K again 3 weeks ago, I'm trying to do 3 runs a week.  Two 5Ks where I try to beat my PB, and then a longer run where I don't worry about time, but try to run ten minutes longer than I did the week before.  I'm sure there are some proper plans you can get to push on from 5K to 10K, so have a look for some of those if you haven't already.

Last year, I went from the C25K to running 18 miles within 6 months, and I was a lazy, old, fat bastard.  I'm a bit less fat now.

• Like 1

My marathon is the day before VLM, training was going great until groin and some shin related bs the past couple of weeks. Serious case of crossed fingers that I have had my serving of that nonsense. Hoping for 24/19 mile long runs over the next two weekends to get me back on track and then taper madness.

Good luck all, let's get it done! 

Going to do my last over 20 tomorrow morning up a canal toe path again to try and save the destruction to my poor glutes and back. Racing and lots of speed work has made things uncomfortable and niggly, so unlikely I will do more racing before VLM.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, darrenm said:

You're looking good mate. Your quick runs are very quick.

I'll have my mobile for a while before the start so if you're around I'll say hello.

For me it's been a bit of a challenge. Done the training almost to the letter but don't feel any quicker and the long distance runs don't seem to get any easier. I'll personally go with the 3.30 pacer and see what happens. A lot may depend on what my left knee decides to do. At London it didn't niggle at all. Ashby 20 I was hobbling from 15 miles.

Good luck for Sunday. I've decided to completely rest up now to give some rest to a sore chest and blisters.

Thanks for that DM; Sure you will be good on the day as long as you don’t go out too fast. I think with the training often it doesn’t get easier, but you end up doing more and quicker. Of course a marathon always involves a degree of luck, so I will be chanting good wishes to you as I cross the start line!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PauloBarnesi said:

Time ticking... Last training run done, nothing more to be done, just good sleep, good food, hydration, no booze, etc. If you see a guy with extreme pronation wearing a Fulham top in Manchester come and say hello!

Good luck mate and to @darrenm and anyone else doing Manchester on Sunday. I did it last year and the support was incredible. I had a tough last 6 miles and it got me through it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, andyjsg said:

God I hate the day after a long run, I found today's 4 miles harder than yesterday's 22.

good luck guys for sunday, I'm sure you will smash it.

ya, it always sucks but I look on those days as the after wax soft polishing... really baking in all those hard miles.

10 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

Just glimpsed strava ....whos out ?..... u ok ?

I'm not doing Manchester now if that's what you mean? Perfectly timed the kids both got a cold from school and I succumbed to it. Gone right on my chest and is very sore.

All the best to @PauloBarnesi and @SteveMac you'll smash it guys.

Â