Running

trimandson

1 hour ago, Xann said:

One of Her Ladyship's tubby American pals has been doing the Crossfit thing. Fair play to her, she's stuck it out.

As a bonus it seems to have inspired her indoors. At the weekend she expressed an interest in visiting the local Decathlon shop.

We went, and she got kitted out - That was fairly mind boggling in itself, she's generally allergic to exercise.

Yesterday she started the Couch to 5k ting. She didn't look like she enjoyed it much :), but she did it, and this morning she seems fairly enthused by it all.

So it appears I'm her running partner. If she keeps it up for another week? It'll be me getting some running shoes.

Bugger.

Don't forget to come back for running shoes advice. It's like cars, everyone's opinion is right.

• Like 2

Running shoes 101: Do not under any circumstances buy this year's model of any shoe. Go for the previous year and get them for half price, e.g., $50 vs >$100 over here. New color schemes or whatever other naff the marketing department has come up with are generally meaningless. 

Literally anything that feels comfortable works. It is useful to talk to someone in a running shop if you are unsure though as they can point out overpronation etc. type issues you may have.

Been missing from here, but thanks all :D Yes, I had a great race, put Berlin behind me (after crashing at 20 miles) and came in at 3:10:15, went through half way in 1:34:xx, so slowed in the second half (after 22 miles), a bit gutted I missed a 3:09 time by 16 seconds, but gives me something to aim for next time!!

Sorry to hear @darrenm missed it due to injury, get yourself injury free! Superb running from @PauloBarnesi awesome PB and well run race!

How is everyone else feeling? VLM in a couple of weeks!

• Like 3

On 03/04/2017 at 10:38, PauloBarnesi said:

Pretty good; didn’t have a good nights sleep, but was happily trotting along for around 3.18.30, faded around 20 mile mark, but picked it up in the last mile. Think I am not good at forcing myself; came in 3.21.13. Over a year gone from 3.42 to 3.21, so not bad. Have to say Manchester was very well run; they seemed to have learned from previous mistakes. Brilliant support  the whole way round. Superb from @SteveMac a brilliant time. 

I said never again, but who knows...

That's a great improvement over a year!! I actually said that I wouldn't race another one for a PB after I finished...but that 3:05 GFA carrot seems agonisingly close now!!:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Either that if just get older and try and run the same speed, sadly I'm only a year off the next GFA time :-)

As for VLM well I think I've got the arse with the long runs, so taper came at a good time. My speed sessions say I'm in the best condition I've ever been in, so hopefully my body is ready, I've run like 1200 miles since mid-December so it had better be.

I guess even if it does go belly up at least I have new PBs at half marathon and 5K in this training cycle.

• Like 1

Just spent a happy few days running in Cornwall; hard work with all the up and down, but nice not to think I have to do it in x or y... Did an FTP on the bike; sadly the cycling fitness is piss poor now. Less than a month from riding Ventoux and no two ways I am going to suffer.

• Like 1

Wishing everyone who is running VLM all the best.  The hardwork is done so enjoy the atmosphere etc!

I have my first track meet of the season tomorrow.  It's only a early season test of where the training is, but I can't help by battle the nerves!  

• Like 1

Im thinking a lunchtime trip to GBK Monday. 

I tend to try and go for Japanese food when in London but then again I may go for something rotten instead. Last year I didn't eat anything for 5 hours after VLM then grabbed a family bucket of KFC on the way home.

I also managed a cameo in that viral video of the guy being helped over the line, I turn up whilst he is being helped by the two guys in the finishing straight and I get a nice few seconds of me dry-heaving my way down the right hand side past the royals.

Â