Euro 2024: Group C (Denmark, England, Serbia, Slovenia)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

limpid

Id take three strikers definitely 

Kane toney and watkins 

Even if you play one up top if you have a injury there you are light. Also if you chasing a game you may need to use two

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

I would cut. 

Trafford, Quansah, Gomez, Guehi, Curtis Jones, Maddison, Grealish 

I think Gomez will make the cut because he can play a variety of positions. 

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Id take three strikers definitely 

Kane toney and watkins 

Even if you play one up top if you have a injury there you are light. Also if you chasing a game you may need to use two

Agree I think all three will make the cut. 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

He just said in the press conference that Shaw is a pretty major fitness doubt (which is understandable), so confusing why we haven't got any other actual left backs in the squad. Surely he could have cut one of the CBs he's pretty confident he won't need and put Mitchell in?

Otherwise I think it's about as good as possible with the players available. 

Southgate just can’t get over his love of right backs. The worry is being too light at the back if he cuts wingers who do track back also. 

51 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Not this season they aren't. Toney has scored 4 since he came back, none in months, Solanke has equalled Watkins. 

@HanoiVillan makes a fair point about penalties though. Realistically I don't think Watkins or any striker behind Kane is getting more than a handful of minutes unless Kane is injured or suspended, coming on for a shootout might be their lot

Both make fair points. It’s just a worry if Kane takes a knock early. I don’t see Toney offering much else. He shouldn’t be rewarded for being a glorified pen taker. 

Such a Shame that fantastic human being and great person has been left out.

Sounds like a great team, still be defensive first priority though.

Ohh, an please get rid of Southgates bestie Danny Mills on Talksort what a t**t. Already backing up his mate saying the team is not good enough.

Grealish couldn't get near the squad when he was, arguably, the best player in the Premier League. Now, he looks a shadow of the the Grealish that played for us and gets in. That about sums - up Safegate.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Grealish couldn't get near the squad when he was, arguably, the best player in the Premier League.

He made his debut in September 2020, just after we'd finished 17th, and has been in pretty much every England squad he's been available for since then.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
Just now, ml1dch said:

He made his debut in September 2020, just after we'd finished 17th, and has been in pretty much every England squad he's been available for since then.

And still struggled to get in the team, even suffering the ignominy of coming on as a substitute and then being substituted, only for the manager to make, arguably, one of the worst decisions in managerial history. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

17 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

You do remember how he was called up in the first place?

I’ve a feeling he might regret not taking Rashford, especially in the latter rounds against tougher teams, he would have been a good option off the bench.

Yes, he’s not had a great season, but United have been shite, and that hasn’t stopped him picking Maguire, Mainoo and Shaw.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Midfield is diabolical.

We miss an experienced head like Henderson - sorry, "Hendo"

The midfield does look light, but presumably only refers to a holding pair of Rice + 1 (+ back-ups).

25 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

And still struggled to get in the team, even suffering the ignominy of coming on as a substitute and then being substituted, only for the manager to make, arguably, one of the worst decisions in managerial history. 

Arguably true, but that's a long way from "couldn't get near the squad".

Given the players picked, what's the starting XI? Picking a realistic midfield is hard. There's no standout to play in a 3 with Jude and Rice.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Given the players picked, what's the starting XI? Picking a realistic midfield is hard. There's no standout to play in a 3 with Jude and Rice.

Pickford in goal, some defenders (probably the usual with Trippier as LB), then a midfield two of Rice and Gallagher, then Foden Bellingham and Saka behind Kane. 

(I suspect)

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Can’t see it being anything but this team if everyone is fit on Matchday one:

…………..…..…..Pickford………………………..

Walker…..Stones……Maguire …..Trippier

………….Gallagher……..Rice……….

Saka..…..Bellingham……..Foden

………………....…Kane….………………..

If all fairness, we’re very strong offensively but light in midfield if we have an injury/suspension and certainly at the back. I don’t like the fella but I would have taken Henderson just as a back up and to close out games.  Can’t honestly see us winning it and you’d have to fancy France here but we should make the Semi Finals.

Edited by ferguson1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

Can’t see it being anything but this team if anyone is fit on Matchday one:

…………..…..…..Pickford………………………..

Walker…..Stones……Maguire …..Trippier

………….Gallagher……..Rice……….

Saka..…..Bellingham……..Foden

………………....…Kane….………………..

If all fairness, we’re very strong offensively but light in midfield if we have an injury/suspension and certainly at the back. I don’t like the fella but I would have taken Henderson just as a back up and to close out games.  Can’t honestly see us winning it and you’d have to fancy France here but we should make the Semi Finals.

Said this before as a bit of an out there thought....the guy we should be bringing on to close games out is Ollie Watkins 

We should press aggressively up top, keep the ball as far away from our goal we possible 

We have the players to do it too

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

I’ve a feeling he might regret not taking Rashford, especially in the latter rounds against tougher teams, he would have been a good option off the bench.

Yes, he’s not had a great season, but United have been shite, and that hasn’t stopped him picking Maguire, Mainoo and Shaw.

He's got a good goal return for England but he simply doesn't deserve to be there and there are better options.

Why would we need Rashford when we could bring on Eze, Watkins, Palmer, Gordon, Bowen. There is no room for him.

Grealish and Maddison are also quite lucky to be in but I'd rather bring them than Rashford because of their ability to keep the ball.

Â