Champions League 2024/25

maqroll

15 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

There was talk yesterday on a podcast that some Champions League games will be played on a Thursday as well next year due to the new format? I’m guessing due to TV rights etc, they can’t squeeze them all in over two days? Not sure if that talk has any truth to it though.

this is correct, but for only 1 game week

The schedule of the competition is as follows.[9] Compared to past seasons, "exclusive week" will be introduced in which Thursday will also be a matchday.[2][10][11] All matches in other weeks will be played on Tuesdays and Wednesdays apart from the final.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024–25_UEFA_Champions_League#Schedule

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Projected pots. We'd play 2 from each. I'd LOVE Bayern, Barca, Juve, Milan, Sporting, PSV, Monaco and Sturm Graz

hvxnfy7wuwxc1.png

I think is a slight chance we could go to pot 3 as some of the teams above us have play offs

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think is a slight chance we could go to pot 3 as some of the teams above us have play offs

due to the new format it doesn't actually make any difference to us

you still play 2 from each pot

the difference it makes is to the teams that potentially play us, as in for a team in pot 2 we could be considered a tough team to avoid from pot 4, but regardless we still have to play a team from pot 2

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

those Leicester figures are wild too 

Really shows how Utd and Spurs have underperformed by a very large margin too. Ratcliffe will be thinking how on earth do we do a Villa?

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

You have to laugh that in UEFA-speak Celtic are better than Villa.  They wouldn’t finish half way up our league.

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

The pots are irrelevant really. All teams play 2 teams from each pot. Basically people just don't want to draw us as we're a tough team for pot 4

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The pots are irrelevant really. All teams play 2 teams from each pot. Basically people just don't want to draw us as we're a tough team for pot 4

That is my understanding as well. But its left me wondering what the point of the seeding pots is? Do they have any bearing on anything?

7 minutes ago, villaglint said:

That is my understanding as well. But its left me wondering what the point of the seeding pots is? Do they have any bearing on anything?

Suppose it just distributes the difficulty of matches. If it was random and unseeded you could theoretically have a top team playing a lot of 'easier' fixtures through a lucky draw

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The draw for the first knockout rounds are seeded though. 

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

Well yes you play two teams from each pot. That's what they're for. It's not seeding to draw your group.

You can still get a tough draw in those and play Madrid instead of Leipzig etc..

51 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The draw for the first knockout rounds are seeded though. 

Based on where you come in the group. Not based on any pre tournament seeding 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villaglint said:

Isn't it also the basis for part of the carving up of cash? Higher coefficient, more money. One of the obscured changes aimed at shoring up the established 'elite' 

9 hours ago, Kingman said:

So how many games we play in this new group format?

Minimum 8, maximum 17.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Kingman said:

So how many games we play in this new group format?

We should be aiming for making the playoffs and playing 10 games. Basically we need to be better than 25% of the clubs to achieve that. I think we have the strongest squad out of the bottom two pots and better than a few in pot 2 also like Burgge and Shaktar. We also benefit from the fact we can't draw the English sides who are 3 of the toughest teams in Europe. 

Finally the new format makes it even better for Coefficient FC as anomalies like United and Newcastle exiting Europe before Christmas is less likely. Spurs, Chelsea and Newcastle will also be good teams to have in Europa and Conference, especially Newcastle who will want to win the Conference League

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Minimum 8, maximum 17.

17? Is that right? If we have to play 17 games we're gonna need to get some players in bigtime. Our existing squad would crumble to dust.

Â