Ratings & Reactions: Olympiacos v Villa

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

Match Polls  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

I think this will turn out to be a blessing in disguise tbh. Many of the squad have been over achieving in their performances this season and the loss of first Kamara, then Tielemans more recently has also left us flagging massively in the centre off the park. Either way I think they'll be big changes in the type of players we now bring in to supplement the squad during the summer. I think we'll be bringing in much more experienced heads which will benefit us in the longer run and certainly in these type of scenarios. 

I will say, every player deserves a pat on the back for what has been an amazing achievement overall this season, whether we end up in the CL or Europa it's been a cracking season all in all. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

If we had just a few of Tielemans/Rogers/Ramsey/Zaniolo/Buendia we would have gone to the final tonight imo. Had no options to shake it up with attacking midfielders who offer variety and quality in attack: Cash being the key target tonight speaks for itself with how we're pretty much down to our 6th/7th choice of attacking outlet. Of course we're going to be ineffective, no team in the world could handle that

It's unlucky. It happens. Onwards we go, almost at the finish line. 53 games and so, so many injuries.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

Started the game so strong, but gifting them that goal was suicide. 

It's a threadbare and exhauated squad treading water at the end stage of the campaign. They can hold their heads high for reaching a semifinal the first time many of them have played in a European competition. It was a good experience for them to build on. And good data for Monchi and his analytics team. 

Fair play to Olympiacos. They are well-drilled, efficient and take advantage of their opportunities. 

And they're well-rested thanks to the flexibility of the Greek league.

Whereas the Premier League, ignoring the intrinsic value of having it's teams playing in Europe, has forced Villa into playing 5 games in 17 days at the tail end of the footballing calendar. 

A trophy will have to wait, but they're coming. 

UTV

Proud of the lads. Unbelievable we're still fighting in a European semi and on the brink of champions league with the injuries we have. so many other teams would've crumbled

• Like 1

Credit where it's due... Olympiacos thoroughly deserved to got through 

They were excellent over the two legs.

A combination of them seeming to " want it more " and us being utterly deleted and knackered OBS hasn't helped either.

6 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Given how we played in this competition, I just think we’d be an embarrassment in the champions league next season. Unai may have done well with Villarreal and Sevilla in Europe, but with us he hasn’t. We were favourites to win this competition, knocked out Lille very fortuitously, then proceeded to lose to a very ordinary Olympiakos team who pressed us high and counter attacked the space we left in behind and we couldn’t handle it.

We’re using tiredness as a reason for tonight, we will be a lot more tired if we have to play proper opposition in Europe next season I can assure you.

Sleep on it. I promise you’ll feel better tomorrow. 

You know what , we weren't even supposed to qualify for this competion last season and was a miracle run that made it happen. 

It's been a journey and sad as I am it ends here I think on the whole we can be very proud of our team 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We lost it at Villa Park really, but their early goal tonight gave us an Everest to climb, rather than the Ben Nevis, that we had faced at the start of this game.

We controlled the match tonight, but the final balls and lethal finishes were missing. El Kaabi's five goals over the two legs were crucial factors, although VAR can claim a very big assist for two of them:rolleyes:. This was a bridge too far, in what has been an excellent, but a long and hard season. Our lack of options off the bench, gave UE no real opportunity to try to change things tonight.

Manchester City just need to beat Spurs now, they owe us that for the six points that we have taken off Arsenal this season. We will then have the Champions League next season, as a fitting reward for this season in which, we have again exceeded expectations. UTV!

Edited by John
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Best team won. No complaints from me,. Proud of the team and the players that are still standing. 

We look absolutely **** atm. Need this season to end.

I don't even think it's a physical tiredness atm. More a mental thing. Been a long season. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 3

I thought we were poor in both ties, surprised anyone thought we played well tonight, it reminded me of the Sheffield United game at Villa Park, them letting us have the ball (which is what I think is tricking some into thinking we played well) but other than a few isolated moments us never looking like we were actually going to do anything with it, and there was so much sloppiness, I lost count of the amount of times our attacks broke down because of unforced errors, incredibly frustrating, we just didn't play well

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Given how we played in this competition, I just think we’d be an embarrassment in the champions league next season. Unai may have done well with Villarreal and Sevilla in Europe, but with us he hasn’t. We were favourites to win this competition, knocked out Lille very fortuitously, then proceeded to lose to a very ordinary Olympiakos team who pressed us high and counter attacked the space we left in behind and we couldn’t handle it.

We’re using tiredness as a reason for tonight, we will be a lot more tired if we have to play proper opposition in Europe next season I can assure you.

🤦🏻‍♂️

Yeah, what’s the point in playing football if we’re not going to win every game. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Yeah cos let's just ignore the insane injury list we have and the fact we're fighting for a 4th place in the Premier League. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Game was lost as soon as Diaby appeared on the teamsheet !

Support the team. He tried hard today. He's in bad form but he doesn't deserve this

• Like 2

Just now, PieFacE said:

Yeah cos let's just ignore the insane injury list we have and the fact we're fighting for a 4th place in the Premier League. 

Not to mention our opponents having the week off and playing in a farmers league all season instead of probably the most intense league in the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â